On to Football Season

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Whoa whoa whoa. You said it was "laughable" he MIGHT start MLB for ISU and then he wins defensive player of the week for the entire country and this is what you say? Lol

Yes...he looked terrible in the Iowa game and took awful angles the entire day.

He has a long way to go to be considered a good LB, which should be expected.

In other news, Jewell is a preseason 1st team AA accorridng to ESPN.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-college-football-midseason-all-american-team

• Dislike
Reactions: CyTwins and Rural

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Yes...he looked terrible in the Iowa game and took awful angles the entire day.

This might come a surprise to you and your fan base but that isn't the only game that determines success for a season. He has greatly improved since that game and was just named defensive player of the week for the entire country and he has a long ways to go before considered a good LB? It's apparent you didn't watch much of the game Saturday like you said.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
This might come a surprise to you and your fan base but that isn't the only game that determines success for a season. He has greatly improved since that game and was just named defensive player of the week for the entire country and he has a long ways to go before considered a good LB? It's apparent you didn't watch much of the game Saturday like you said.

Been a great story so far that is for sure. He looked like the worst LB I've ever seen play P5 football against Iowa to winning this award. Hell of a turnaround.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I bet it was, congrats on the close loss to Iowa!

um... thank you?
Anna-Kendrick-Confused-Look.gif

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
ISU was definitely front page news this weekend.I A bit premature to say the perception of the ISU program is higher than Iowa's now though, IMO.

There was a ton of overreacting on this board after the Texas loss and probably even more overreaction in the opposite direction after the upset of OU.

You probably salvaged a bowl berth this year by winning on Saturday but I wouldn't be shocked if ISU wins or loses any game left on their schedule, save a loss against KU which would be surprising

Unless you're the Cedar Rapids Gazette. Front Page of the Sunday sports section was 100% about the Hok's win, vanquishing the mighty Illini. And also all of page 2. They did finally get to Iowa State's win over the OU Sooners on page 3, so we know their understanding of news value.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Unless you're the Cedar Rapids Gazette. Front Page of the Sunday sports section was 100% about the Hok's win, vanquishing the mighty Illini. And also all of page 2. They did finally get to Iowa State's win over the OU Sooners on page 3, so we know their understanding of news value.

It is all about what beat you cover and location. The Gazette primarily covers the Hawks so that is no surprise. Would be like complaining that ISU wasn't on the front page of the Minneapolis Tribune.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
It is all about what beat you cover and location. The Gazette primarily covers the Hawks so that is no surprise. Would be like complaining that ISU wasn't on the front page of the Minneapolis Tribune.

They do? First time I noticed was Sunday!

Minnesota has only 1 P5 team, so your point is not valid.

No, I'm way past complaining. It's about news value. In state team breaks 18 game losing streak beating #3 team on the road with 3rd string QB. Versus ho hum run of the mill Big ten leg ends game.

I'm pretty sure most sports fans in the area would say the ISU win should be the big story. Even the hok fans.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016

Not sure why this is a complaint from you. Cedar Rapids is 25 miles from IC and regularly has more coverage of Iowa than ISU and it really isn't close.

ISU fans will use anything to feel slighted. Can't you just enjoy the win?

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Not sure why this is a complaint from you. Cedar Rapids is 25 miles from IC and regularly has more coverage of Iowa than ISU and it really isn't close.

Oh, I enjoyed the win. Boy howdy!

Just correcting a post about how the ISU win was front page news, except in the howkeye navel gazing Gazette.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

As you are slighting Joel Lanning because of his play in one game a month ago. Oh the irony

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016

He obviously played a really good game on Saturday. I didn't watch much but you don't win that award without have a great game.

That doesn't mean he is a good LB.

I mean, Bohannon scored 24 points on 8/13 shooting with 5 assists and 2 turnovers last year at Maryland. That is a really good game but I bet you wouldn't call Bohannon a good PG.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Oh, I enjoyed the win. Boy howdy!

Just correcting a post about how the ISU win was front page news, except in the howkeye navel gazing Gazette.

Well in case it helps you, no one reads newspapers anymore. ISU led every highlight show on Saturday so that is way more important.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
He obviously played a really good game on Saturday. I didn't watch much but you don't win that award without have a great game.

That doesn't mean he is a good LB.

I mean, Bohannon scored 24 points on 8/13 shooting with 5 assists and 2 turnovers last year at Maryland. That is a really good game but I bet you wouldn't call Bohannon a good PG.

How many games of Joel's have you watched?

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
As you are slighting Joel Lanning because of his play in one game a month ago. Oh the irony

This really bothers you, doesn't it?

He is an OK LB. Nothing more, nothing less. That's actually a compliment because I thought he would be terrible all year like he was against Iowa.