Idea: Opt out of Beer Forum

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
All the stupid pointless **** that people talk about in off-topic, and people get all worked up over beer threads.

Exactly. I'd bet that more people have drinking beer in common than any other subject that gets posted in the off-topic forum.

I find it hard to argue with ISUCubswin, though, since he makes fun of the random thoughts thread.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I think the off-topic thread should still be just what it is.

You can create a beer thread in an off-topic thread.

Why do I need to create a thread on Ames Restaurants? There should just be a forum on them so I don't need to create a thread on them.

Really, the off-topic thread usually isn't stupid. Random Thoughts thread is stupid and just wastes space.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
What is not family friendly about grown adults discussing beers they enjoy? I certainly don't plan to stop homebrewing or enjoying craft beer when we have kids.

I understand and agree that Beer (& all other forums) should be opt in/out, but to claim it is not family friendly is a stretch, IMO.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
What is not family friendly about grown adults discussing beers they enjoy? I certainly don't plan to stop homebrewing or enjoying craft beer when we have kids.

I understand and agree that Beer (& all other forums) should be opt in/out, but to claim it is not family friendly is a stretch, IMO.

Well, you better get used to spending an eternity burning in a lake of fire, heathen.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I'd be willing to cut beer forum, off-topic forum, and the cave if we got cybookie in return.

I blame beer for no cybookie.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I think the off-topic thread should still be just what it is.

You can create a beer thread in an off-topic thread.

Why do I need to create a thread on Ames Restaurants? There should just be a forum on them so I don't need to create a thread on them.

Really, the off-topic thread usually isn't stupid. Random Thoughts thread is stupid and just wastes space.

So you are perfectly OK with a bunch of beer threads on the front page as long as they are part of the off-topic forum, but just can't stand if they are part of a separate beer forum. Makes sense.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
personally, i'd probably opt out of seeing the beer forum posts -> just clutters up the recent posts section lately :) (btw -> i'm enjoying a nice cold Black Butte Porter right now).

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
So you are perfectly OK with a bunch of beer threads on the front page as long as they are part of the off-topic forum, but just can't stand if they are part of a separate beer forum. Makes sense.

Before the beer forum there wasn't 3-4 threads about beer on the front page every night. There might have been 1.

No one cares what beer you drink at a gas station on Tuesday nights.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I drank a Sam Adams Octoberfest in front of my 4 year old and 2 year old last night. Both kids immediately went out and started doing molly and abusing the neighbor's dog. If only I had been more kid-friendly this could have been avoided.