Oregon helmets for Fiesta Bowl

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
probably going to show my age here, but that helmet is UGLY!!!!!

I don't know that I find it ugly, I guess I've just become bored with the "Look at Oregon" If I were a fan of the team, I think I would find it frustrating. I like having a helmet of my favorite team on my Desk at work. I'd be kind of ****** If I had to build a complete shelving system just to hold this years helmets.

Basically, I think they actually look pretty cool, but in the end, it's "Meh, another Oregon helmet, good for them."

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I don't know that I find it ugly, I guess I've just become bored with the "Look at Oregon" If I were a fan of the team, I think I would find it frustrating. I like having a helmet of my favorite team on my Desk at work. I'd be kind of ****** If I had to build a complete shelving system just to hold this years helmets.

Basically, I think they actually look pretty cool, but in the end, it's "Meh, another Oregon helmet, good for them."

That's why I think an alternate per year might be cool. Keep the brand in tact, doesn't become a :rolleyes: what are they wearing now, but something to look forward to. Also, generally alternate uni's lead to a little extra press when they're rolled out. Extra press (when you are in control of it) is never a bad thing.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Navy's bowl helmets were much better than any of the Oregon ones, besides their Rose Bowl ones from last year.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
After the TCU game I said, we need new uniforms and a bunch of people said.... oh bull **** no one cares about the uniform and they don't choose schools because of uniforms, I love our uniforms... blah blah blah.

Uniform design does impact the fan base, it does impact perception of the team, and it does impact recruiting because recruiting is impacted by both the size of the fan base and overall perception of the team.

I don't follow recruiting too in depth, but I've never seen a kid say "When it came down to it, so and so school just had better uniforms", if you take Oregon out of the mix, most of the attempts at schools to do this have just been awful. Sure players like it at the time, the media loves to talk about but it has zero long term effect on recruiting. If it did, every school would be doing it. Oregon's success has nothing to with their uniforms.

hawksuck75

Mar 25, 2006
Chicago, IL
Oregon's "tradition" comes from being unique and alternative. The fan base expects new uniforms, and the helmets/jerseys come from Nike which is indeed a huge recruiting tool. Uniforms may not be the biggest reason kids go to UO, but it does spark their interest to take a look at a Pacific NW school over FL/TX/USC.

I don't follow recruiting too in depth, but I've never seen a kid say "When it came down to it, so and so school just had better uniforms", if you take Oregon out of the mix, most of the attempts at schools to do this have just been awful. Sure players like it at the time, the media loves to talk about but it has zero long term effect on recruiting. If it did, every school would be doing it. Oregon's success has nothing to with their uniforms.