Oregon passes Irish in latest BCS standings

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Will games against Stanford and Oregon State be enough to propel the Ducks past K-State as well?

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
I completely forgot about the P12 champ game. I really don't see any chance that KSU stays ahead of Oregon, assuming both win out of course.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Oregon is much more likely to lose though, since the Civil War is on the road for them

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I completely forgot about the P12 champ game. I really don't see any chance that KSU stays ahead of Oregon, assuming both win out of course.

I think the irony would be thick about how everyone is saying how much they love the 10-team round robin format and the conference championship does nothing for the conference, and then the lack of a conference championship game is what causes Oregon to leapfrog K-State.

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
Honestly after watching Oregon beat USC I would much rather watch them play Alabama. I've never seen that much speed on a college field.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Honestly after watching Oregon beat USC I would much rather watch them play Alabama. I've never seen that much speed on a college field.

I think the SEC is loaded with that kind of speed, they just don't spread it out like Oregon.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
I think the irony would be thick about how everyone is saying how much they love the 10-team round robin format and the conference championship does nothing for the conference, and then the lack of a conference championship game is what causes Oregon to leapfrog K-State.

I think Oregon will pass KSU prior to the P12 champ game anyway, so IMO that's kind of a moot point. Although it's another chance for Oregon to lose too, so it could end up hurting them too.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

It would change my opinion about our need for that championship game.
I'd still like to have one. I hope it doesn't burn K-State.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

You could argue that it already has hurt the big 12. Without the 9 game schedule maybe ISU doesnt play OSU last year (we wouldnt've under the old rotation, though that had 12 teams). Without that game, they go to the title game.

And who knows, with 2 games afterwards (with the title game) instead of just 1, maybe that's enough to partially erase the loss in voters eyes, and given how close the BCS standings were in '11 that mightve been enough.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
It's interesting because the human polls kept the same order (although Oregon solidified its #2 ranking) but the computers now moved Alabama to #1 and dropped Notre Dame to #2 and KSU to #3. What's actually probably most important now for Oregon moving up is moving ahead of Florida at #4 in the computer rankings. And Florida does have two really weak opponents coming up in Louisiana-Lafayette and Jacksonville St.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I would love to vouch for KSU here but I can't. I just don't think they are as good as Oregon. Anything can happen but if both are undefeated, I would have to give the nod to Oregon. I'd like to see Alabama and Oregon. Oregon messed up the title game against Auburn because they tried to option of Fairley and he was maybe the one guy int he country who couldn't be optioned off of. He was just too good. Bama has a ton of team speed but Varner and Thomas are a different type of animal than they have seen. Oregon's defense is also pretty good. Yes, they allow a bunch of points but they play a bunch of garbage time and a bunch of possessions as well. I just think KSu would be going against a similar style with less talent and a rare push or maybe even disadvantage in coaching. I happen to think OU would actually give Bama a better game. To me they are just the most complete team.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I would love to vouch for KSU here but I can't. I just don't think they are as good as Oregon. Anything can happen but if both are undefeated, I would have to give the nod to Oregon. I'd like to see Alabama and Oregon. Oregon messed up the title game against Auburn because they tried to option of Fairley and he was maybe the one guy int he country who couldn't be optioned off of. He was just too good. Bama has a ton of team speed but Varner and Thomas are a different type of animal than they have seen. Oregon's defense is also pretty good. Yes, they allow a bunch of points but they play a bunch of garbage time and a bunch of possessions as well. I just think KSu would be going against a similar style with less talent and a rare push or maybe even disadvantage in coaching. I happen to think OU would actually give Bama a better game. To me they are just the most complete team.

Oregon may have the better team, but Bill Snyder is a better coach than Chip Kelly. Snyder is a wizard on both sides of the ball compared to Kelly just having a freakish offense. Give Snyder as much time as they get to prep for the national title and he will have a great game plan. I just could never put my money against that guy, he is too good.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Oregon may have the better team, but Bill Snyder is a better coach than Chip Kelly. Snyder is a wizard on both sides of the ball compared to Kelly just having a freakish offense. Give Snyder as much time as they get to prep for the national title and he will have a great game plan. I just could never put my money against that guy, he is too good.

Snyder isn't just a wizard, he's freaking Lord Voldemort.

isuchicago

Apr 11, 2006
I think the SEC is loaded with that kind of speed, they just don't spread it out like Oregon.

No one else is loaded with that kind of speed. Strictly speed, no SEC running back is any faster than either of the top 2 oregon running backs and no SEC quarterback runs a faster 40 than Oregons QB.

SEC defenses are loaded with more speed than most defenses, to help contain an oregon.. but on the offensive side of the ball, no one has speed even close to Oregon.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Oregon is much more likely to lose though, since the Civil War is on the road for them

Oregon St. is overrated. Also look at Mississippi St., with their schedule through the first 7-8 games, we'd easily be 7 or 8-0.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Snyder is not the offensive coach Chip Kelly is and it's not close. People forget that in that 2010 season he was rolling with his backup QB after suspending/booting Masoli. Suspend Klein and see what happens offensively. It will be really interesting to see what happens with KSU offensively once Kleins gone and you don't have that guy just ******* consistency and you have to get big plays. I doubt KSU will regress to a 7 win team or anything but I bet there is some regression. Kelly is sitting there scoring 50 points a game with a freshman and not even trying in the second half of most games. He could have hung 100 up a couple of times.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
If you had the first 4 team football game and you had

Oregon, Kansas St., Notre Dame, and Alabama playing, it would go like(imo):

Alabama
Oregon
Notre Dame
Kansas St.

A good example of why this is, is look at the ISU vs OU game. Iowa St. lost primarily because of less talent. ISU was in the game somewhat (around 2 scores throughout), but never broke through due to OU superior talent.

Same would happen here. Snyder is a great coach, but going against Alabama and Oregon especially, he would have a tough time beating them due to AU and Oregon's talent.

Notre Dame beat OU pretty easily and I think they would do the same to KSU.

The Big 12 doesn't have a superior team this year, just a bunch of good-solid-average teams besides Kansas.

I'd put OU and KSU as good, and OSU, Texas, and Tech as solid. ISU, TCU, WVU, and Baylor as average.

Alabama would win because they have a REALLY good defense and their offense is pretty good too. Last year their offense was average but it's better this year.

Oregon has the best offense but their defense is below average.

Offense
________
1)Oregon
2)Alabama
3)Kansas St.
4)Notre Dame

Defense
4)Oregon

Last edited:

isuchicago

Apr 11, 2006
Oregon St. is overrated. Also look at Mississippi St., with their schedule through the first 7-8 games, we'd easily be 7 or 8-0.

Agreed. Oregon will probably be a 2-3 TD favorite. And if Bama doesn't lose to Texas A&M, they're in the NC. After that, they have western carolina, Auburn then Georgia in the SEC Championship. And I think Georgia is pretty overrated too

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Agreed. Oregon will probably be a 2-3 TD favorite. And if Bama doesn't lose to Texas A&M, they're in the NC. After that, they have western carolina, Auburn then Georgia in the SEC Championship. And I think Georgia is pretty overrated too

I somewhat agree with Georgia.

Alabama will stomp them. Georgia's first 5 games were against creampuffs...ISU would have likely went 4-1 during that slate. They got stomped by SC and their only impressive win is against Florida.

Think it'll be like last year when LSU played. Georgia hangs for a quarter then Alabama smokes them.

I think ND loses @USC on the last week, making it a 3 team race. Think Kansas St. is going to get snubbed by Oregon.