OT - Name your Unusual Fact

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
This thread rocks my face off. It's fun facts like this that lead to the best conversations over a beer or at a campfire ect.

More facts:

-The Capitol building in Denver contains copious amounts of Rose Onyx - and uses all of the world's known supply of it.

-The Washington Monument was the world's tallest building from 1884 to 1889.

-The furthest any human has been from earth was the crew on Apollo 13 who traveled around the moon to use its gravity to launch back to earth (watch the movie if you need more explanation)

-Prairie Meadows in Altoona, Iowa has more escalators than the whole state of Wyoming.

-On a day in April, 1930 the BBC reported there is no news and played piano music instead.

-The sum of all numbers on a roulette wheel is 666.

-Until 1954, stop signs were yellow.

Well, that seems about right.

• Funny
  • Agree
Reactions: GTO and mj4cy

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
The moon may be hollow. One NASA mission a piece of the rocket was jettisoned and hit the surface and the moon made bell-like noises for a minute. The next mission NASA left microphones on the surface and jettisoned a heavier chunk to the surface. It then rang like a bell for three minutes. The only explanation that made sense was that it is hollow. The calculations predict a two and a half mile thick shell. To top that to NASA the depths of all craters small or large are the same depths. That should be impossible unless the surface may be artificial. Is that spooky or what. No wonder NASA stopped going to the moon for awhile.

"That's no moon. It's a space station"
- Obi-Wan Kenobi

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
The moon may be hollow. One NASA mission a piece of the rocket was jettisoned and hit the surface and the moon made bell-like noises for a minute. The next mission NASA left microphones on the surface and jettisoned a heavier chunk to the surface. It then rang like a bell for three minutes. The only explanation that made sense was that it is hollow. The calculations predict a two and a half mile thick shell. To top that to NASA the depths of all craters small or large are the same depths. That should be impossible unless the surface may be artificial. Is that spooky or what. No wonder NASA stopped going to the moon for awhile.

How fast does sound travel in space?

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
- 18-35% of people suffer from a condition called Photic Sneeze Reflex which causes them to sneeze when they go from a dark room to bright sunlight. I have this condition and my wife was convinced it was fake for the first 8 years we new each other. Science has yet to solve why.

18-35%? Dammit. All this time I thought I was special.

Is there anything in the condition about having to sneeze precisely three times every time?

ISU85

Jun 3, 2015
When we bought Alaska from Russia in 1867, the Russians were still using the Julian calendar and recorded the date of the sale as Oct 7th. But we used the Gregorian calendar and recorded the purchase as Oct 18th and immediately switched Alaska to our calendar.

The dates from Oct 8th 1867 through Oct 17th 1867 never happened in Alaska.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The entire nation of China is on one time zone despite being wide enough east to west to span 5 time zones. This results in the easternmost province having oddities like a winter sunset just after 3 pm and a summer sunrise around 3 am despite a latitude similar to Seattle, WA. The westernmost province has winter sunrise at almost 10 am and summer sunset at nearly 10 pm at a latitude comparable to El Paso, TX.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
"Stewardesses" is the longest word that you can type with one hand on a computer keyboard.

Sweetwater Texas is the longest US city/state combination you can type with one hand. I can't remember the longest one you can type with your right hand but it is in Ohio (and shorter than Sweetwater Texas).

Reactions: JMA1125

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Phil Mickelson is right handed

Michael Phelps would be something like 33rd in total Olympic medals if he was his own country

Roger Maris was never intentionally walked in his 61 HR year

Only 72 players in NBA history attempted more FTs than Shaq missed

Tiger Woods has missed less cuts in his career than Jordan Spieth.

Tiger also has the 1st and 2nd longest streaks at #1. Twice it was 263 weeks or more.

In 89 consecutive rounds, Woods beat the field average for said round. That's over 22 tournaments where he never had a round worse than the average of the field. A ROUND!

(Some of the Tiger Woods stats out there are just astounding)

Russia has more surface area than Pluto

If you put your finger in your ear and scratch it, it sounds like Pac Man.

Reactions: cyclones500

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
-William Henry Harrison in effort to prove he was young and energetic, didn't wear a coat to his inauguration address and spoke for nearly 2 hours which ironically gave him pneumonia and killed him in 30 days.

That the long speech gave him pneumonia and killed him is speculation only. He did die in 30 days for sure, though.

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
3.5B years ago life could have existed on Mars, Venus, and Earth at the same time although ours was more like bacteria.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
A group of non-English speakers voted "diarrhea" as the prettiest sounding word in the English language.

I read this in some book probably close to 10 years ago, and I tried looking it up and couldn't verify it. But I remember it making me laugh when I read it

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

Help Support Us

Become a patron