OT: Since it's so close to Halloween...what's your favorite classic scary movie?

Favorite Classic Scary Movie?

• Halloween (1978)

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • The Exorcist

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • The Omen

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Psycho

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • The Shining

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • Alien

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Poltergeist

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rosemary's Baby

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 16 26.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I'm sure this will spark a more broad conversation, but curious what people think is the scariest movie in terms of what many consider 'classic' horror movies. Have at it!

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
The scariest movie I’ve ever seen is a documentary on sleep paralysis called the nightmare. The trailer looks a bit campy but trust me. You will not sleep after watching this movie.

Have you ever experienced that before? It's pretty wild.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Have you ever experienced that before? It's pretty wild.
One time I think. Had a dream about a dead woman with slashed throat. “Woke up” to see her standing in my bedroom door. Closed my eyes and tried to wake up again and this time she was inside the room. Started flailing around and finally woke up my partner who told me “it’s okay it’s only a dream.” When I got up the next morning I asked her about it and she said she never woke up or said anything to me. Don’t know if that was sleep paralysis, but it definitely freaked me out. Has this happened to you?

• Wow
Reactions: dahliaclone

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I read an article just the other day where someone had done a study to try to determine the scariest movie by measuring heart rates. It was interesting, but the top 10 consisted of almost all newer films, and only a few of these classics made the list. I think really what they were measuring more was the jump scare and tenseness of a film, so some movies that are more dreadful and slow just don't measure up when looked at this way. Still interesting nonetheless.

• Informative
Reactions: Angie

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I was hesitant to have The Shining as an option, but I know many think it's scary. I personally don't think it's scary in any way shape or form.

• Agree

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I read an article just the other day where someone had done a study to try to determine the scariest movie by measuring heart rates. It was interesting, but the top 10 consisted of almost all newer films, and only a few of these classics made the list. I think really what they were measuring more was the jump scare and tenseness of a film, so some movies that are more dreadful and slow just don't measure up when looked at this way. Still interesting nonetheless.

Yeah it measured heart rate or something like that if I remember reading it right.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
On this topic though, I voted Halloween. It's a great slasher flick that I think holds up pretty well. We've been watching scary movies with my son's this month and that is our movie we'll watch on Halloween night. Not listed, but I think should be up there is The Thing. Great effects, good acting, and tense with solid jump scares. The blood test scene is an all time great.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
One time I think. Had a dream about a dead woman with slashed throat. “Woke up” to see her standing in my bedroom door. Closed my eyes and tried to wake up again and this time she was inside the room. Started flailing around and finally woke up my partner who told me “it’s okay it’s only a dream.” When I got up the next morning I asked her about it and she said she never woke up or said anything to me. Don’t know if that was sleep paralysis, but it definitely freaked me out. Has this happened to you?
That is a crazy ass dream. My experience was at a very young age maybe around 5. I've since read up on possibilities to what happened to me and the best most scientific explanation I've seen from people with similar experiences is you get caught right between falling sleep and awake. It's more common with kids and they can hallucinate. Either way whatever I saw in the ceiling that evening in my creepy basement bedroom scared me so bad I couldn't move. Was a really crazy experience.

• Wow
Reactions: Peter

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I was hesitant to have The Shining as an option, but I know many think it's scary. I personally don't think it's scary in any way shape or form.

Well I really wouldn't want those twins showing up in my hallway aaaaand Here's Johnny! ;)

• Agree
Reactions: urb1

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I voted Halloween, saw it at a drive-in on a nite a storm blew in. Scary as all get out back then, never turned the lights out that nite when I went to bed.

Reactions: dahliaclone

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
I'm disappointed I had to vote other for the original Nightmare on Elm Street. To this day, that one still gets to me. If I watch it alone with the lights out, I turn into that scared kid again who was way too young to see that movie in the first place.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

I think that was just a vivid dream, not sleep paralysis. Still creepy though.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie and Peter

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
It is usually relative because what we thought was scary as children isn't so much as adults. But I would say the original Suspiria was a mistake for me to watch as a teenager. Also.....I remember Prince of Darkness cleared the theatre on it's debut. It was packed at the beginning and by the end only 6 of us were left.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
As someone born in the mid/80s, I think all my coming of age horror movies (Scream, Saw, Etc) have desensitized me to classic horror movies. I’ve watched them all and find none of them scary. I voted for The Shining because it’s my favorite on the list, but it is by no means scary to me.

Legit scary movies for me are Pet Semetary and What Lies Beneath.

Reactions: Macloney

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
The first couple of Friday the 13th movies actually were frightening at the time. I think people forget because it's become a mockery and basically comedy. However, the first couple made going to camp by any lake a little scary as a kid.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
On a related note, I have an affinity for bad scary movies. One of my all-time favorites is "Maximum Overdrive" which was the only one of Stephen King's movies that he actually directed. He was using lots and lots of cocaine back then, and you can tell.

Death Spa may be the best bad scary movie I've ever seen though...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron