OT: Since it's so close to Halloween...what's your favorite classic scary movie?

Favorite Classic Scary Movie?

• Halloween (1978)

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • The Exorcist

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • The Omen

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Psycho

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • The Shining

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • Alien

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Poltergeist

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rosemary's Baby

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 16 26.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
As someone born in the mid/80s, I think all my coming of age horror movies (Scream, Saw, Etc) have desensitized me to classic horror movies. I’ve watched them all and find none of them scary. I voted for The Shining because it’s my favorite on the list, but it is by no means scary to me.

Legit scary movies for me are Pet Semetary and What Lies Beneath.

Agree on Pet Semetary.

The Insidious movies really scared me as an adult. My wife loves watching me more than the movies during that kind of stuff.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
I'm not much of a horror movie person, but my best friend in middle school was. Naturally, I watched some movies when I was sleeping over at her house. "Nightmare on Elm Street" completely creeped me out, but that was mild compared to "Candyman." (I hear they're remaking "Candyman.") A few years later, I watched "The Strangers," and decided that was one of the scariest movies I've seen. But again, I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to scary stuff.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Can't do them. Absolutely can't do scary movies. Even back in the good ol' days where "let's watch a scary movie" was likely codeword for something else, I was still out.

Reactions: Angie and MeanDean

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Can't do them. Absolutely can't do scary movies. Even back in the good ol' days where "let's watch a scary movie" was likely codeword for something else, I was still out.

I like them but I'm a total pansy. It took me like 10 sittings to get through Hereditary. Something creepy would happen that scared the crap out of me like every 10 minutes and I'd turn it off. Come back the next day, watch another 10 minutes, turn it off.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Endless choices. The Shining is one of my all time favorite movies, period. But there is such a wonderful spectrum across horror. From '50's & '60's camp like The Blob & The Fly to the early -mid '70's Satanic horror like The Exorcist & The Omen to the mid to late '70's slasher films like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, and Friday the 13th...

I love the nostalgia of old horror. Just consider how truly scary Psycho or Night of The Living Dead were when they were screened in theaters for the first time. I've watched an interview with Glenn Danzig recounting going to see NOTLD for the first time and how people were screaming, puking, and passing out in the theater. That's magical!

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
To me, The Exorcist was the absolute scariest, because it is based on real phenomenon. But.....somehow, I had to mark Psycho, because it maintains its impact through repeated viewings. Hitchcock was a genius at getting you to think you were seeing things, when you really weren't. (Classic example is the shower scene.)

But the creepiest of all is at the very end.....when Norman (as Mrs. Bates) is narrating her side of the story, and then he (Norman) looks up and directly into the camera. That look ......I'm getting chills now just thinking about it. Pure evil.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I used to enjoy the classic scary movies. Exorcist is really a fantastic film, and Halloween is amazingly directed for a horror film. Some buddies and I used to watch our way through an entire series - Halloween ("Season of the Witch" is hilarious), Friday the 13th (as is the one where Jason's heart is alive and on the move), Nightmare on Elm Street.

These days, though, I cannot handle scary crap. Even "Stranger Things" is something I've had to watch during the day. Just not my genre.

Reactions: dahliaclone

Busch__Latte

Sep 17, 2020
Halloween. I remember watches those back to back to back as a kid. I'm not a huge fan of haunting movies.

Last edited:
Reactions: dahliaclone

20eyes

May 15, 2020
I was hesitant to have The Shining as an option, but I know many think it's scary. I personally don't think it's scary in any way shape or form.
While I do find it scary that element of it is kind of secondary for me. Kubrick, imo is the greatest American director ever and I think The Shining is his master work. The cinematography, set design, acting (casting), story (his version), score...I love all of it. The scale of the blood gushing out of the elevator is a remarkable scene even if it's not scary.

Reactions: SCyclone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
On this topic though, I voted Halloween. It's a great slasher flick that I think holds up pretty well. We've been watching scary movies with my son's this month and that is our movie we'll watch on Halloween night. Not listed, but I think should be up there is The Thing. Great effects, good acting, and tense with solid jump scares. The blood test scene is an all time great.

The thing about Halloween is how the camera pans over in many situations, and you expect something there but it doesn't happen, while you the viewer knows about the figure slowly wandering around the neighborhood.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I voted 'other' because I think Jaws holds up for me. We spend half the movie only guessing and not seeing what's actually happening and then it all changes when we hear the boy from the raft screaming under water.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
While I do find it scary that element of it is kind of secondary for me. Kubrick, imo is the greatest American director ever and I think The Shining is his master work. The cinematography, set design, acting (casting), story (his version), score...I love all of it. The scale of the blood gushing out of the elevator is a remarkable scene even if it's not scary.

At first viewing, I was thoroughly put off because Kubrick had changed so many of the story elements. But upon repeated viewings, I discovered that I did enjoy his version.....with the exception of Jack's descent into madness. It just seemed to happen too fast.

Have you watched the doc Room 237? Pretty fascinating stuff.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I think psychological horror is the ultimate, because so many times our imagination is left to run wild. Graphic gory horror is fine, but eventually you find yourself becoming blase, and wanting even more.

One film I would present in that regard is The Banshee Chapter, which dealt with the experimental use of hallucinogens during Project MKUltra (Google it!), and the resulting problems. The director skates right to the edge of letting us see something, and our minds are left to fill in the blanks. Which in most cases ends up being something far scarier than could be presented on film.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Endless choices. The Shining is one of my all time favorite movies, period. But there is such a wonderful spectrum across horror. From '50's & '60's camp like The Blob & The Fly to the early -mid '70's Satanic horror like The Exorcist & The Omen to the mid to late '70's slasher films like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, and Friday the 13th...

I love the nostalgia of old horror. Just consider how truly scary Psycho or Night of The Living Dead were when they were screened in theaters for the first time. I've watched an interview with Glenn Danzig recounting going to see NOTLD for the first time and how people were screaming, puking, and passing out in the theater. That's magical!

Imo the old movies that didn't showcase crazy background music were that much scarier. NOTLD does this in a few scenes and it's what makes Texas Chainsaw Massacre work too.