Otz extended

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
And honestly, what can't you do in Ames with $3.5M per year that you can do with $5M....
giphy.gif

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
TJ wants ISU successful, not just to be paid.

Absolutely remarkable selflessness in today's age.

This is amazing news. He's an absolute bargain at that salary.

In that mind, I think we may see some coaches look more at longevity of success than strictly immediate pay. If a coach like TJ is making 3 mil a year, more than enough to be comfortable, if a donor is willing to cough up another million they may say "guarantee that money in the NIL fund instead so we can sustain the growth" (and if they get that, the success may bring in additional funds to increase salary down the line too). Just like how coaches have, in the past, accepted more salary for their assistants over their own personal salary gains.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Still a bargain with the new contract details compared to his peers.

Also while I was never anti-TJ hire, I was skeptical he was the right guy at the time. I was wrong and will 100% eat that crow.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm glad he's getting higher in the pay. I don't like the talk about not needing to pay him because "he likes it here." This is the real world, pay him what he's worth.

If Fred, the motherf***ing 'Mayor' leaves Ames, anybody can leave Ames. (Not that money was Fred's problem, though)

• Winner
Reactions: NWICY and I@ST1

CycloneCJ

Jan 21, 2008
Plymouth, MN
Is it allowable for TJ to contribute to the We Will collective? Seems like he shouldn't be able to contribute, but there also doesn't seem to be any rules.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
He’s just not about money but more about being a great leader, part of something bigger than himself, and showing grace and humility. Like a prior poster said.

Need more people like this and glad he’s the leader of our team!

Reactions: Acer88

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I don't love the tiered salary approach though. Just pay the dude!

Probably has nothing to do with the media contracts and money Iowa state gets being the same way.

Take out a loan and pay the man now! Who cares that the AD already has a 20 year loan from the Covid year!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Is it allowable for TJ to contribute to the We Will collective? Seems like he shouldn't be able to contribute, but there also doesn't seem to be any rules

Even if not allowed directly i'm sure there are plenty of ways around that.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Help Support Us

Become a patron