Perhaps a full Merger with the Pac 10

OregonCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 4, 2010
North Canton, Ohio
That breakdown makes crazy sense for almost all of those teams. Oklahoma might have a complaint about being separated from Texas, but maybe they wouldn't, especially if they could keep their rivalry game.

You can point out resistance to Oklahoma getting put in a division separate from Texas and OSU, but you'd get even stronger resistance to creating two 5-team divisions in the Pac-10. The Pac-10 currently consists of five sets of very strong natural rivals - Washington-WSU, Oregon-OSU, Cal-Stanford, USC-UCLA, and Arizona-ASU. You going to split Cal and Stanford and put them in separate divisions? That wouldn't go over well in the Bay Area.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
You can point out resistance to Oklahoma getting put in a division separate from Texas and OSU, but you'd get even stronger resistance to creating two 5-team divisions in the Pac-10. The Pac-10 currently consists of five sets of very strong natural rivals - Washington-WSU, Oregon-OSU, Cal-Stanford, USC-UCLA, and Arizona-ASU. You going to split Cal and Stanford and put them in separate divisions? That wouldn't go over well in the Bay Area.

The current speculation on this site seems more based on wishlists than reality.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
True, and as I think about this, what exactly does the PAC 10 gain by adding KU, KState, Baylor, and ISU that it doesn't get with sCUm, aTm, TX, OK, Okie State, and Texas Technical(ly)?
[...]
From Iowa State University:
-An AAU member institution
-Hot/cold MBB, good WBB, VB, WR (but the last three don't pay the bills)
-Iowa market (3 million people) and a toehold into the Omaha market

And if they can get the entire merger completed and wrapped up before the NCAA track and field championships next Wednesday...Lisa Koll. They do like their track and field in the Pac-10...

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Far fetched or a plan that has been in the works for a long time.

if you assume this is the case, could this rumor have been started by a pac 10 'informant' leaking this to get more leverage in any negotiations? "come more to our side, or we may take these friendly merger discussions hostile and take half your conference with us"

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Two 10 team divisions...our world will look much like it has the last 15yrs.

Would work beautifully!

How would that work for FB?

9 conference games, 3 non-con, divisions to meet in championship. Probably about 12 bowl affiliations? Never see the other side outside championship?

Basketball? Play everyone once? Biggest league tourney ever?

OregonCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 4, 2010
North Canton, Ohio
Their TV's are all on PST. Yes, there are a lot of TV sets out there, but there won't be any games before 2 or 3 EST. By adding the central schools, you can get all those TV sets plus have some programming to get the rest of the country to watch.

Actually, this is a plus for us on the left coast. I love rolling out of bed on a Saturday morning in the fall and turning on live college football while I eat breakfast. The problem for us is that we don't have that many live games on during prime time. The ACC and SEC dreck we get from ESPN ends about 7 p.m. here. Personally, I think ESPN should be legally required to carry all Hawaii home games.

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Actually, this is a plus for us on the left coast. I love rolling out of bed on a Saturday morning in the fall and turning on live college football while I eat breakfast. The problem for us is that we don't have that many live games on during prime time. The ACC and SEC dreck we get from ESPN ends about 7 p.m. here. Personally, I think ESPN should be legally required to carry all Hawaii home games.

Ok, you're new here so I'll cut you some slack. However, when you say something truely sarcastic on this board, you have to add :jimlad: somewhere in the post (preferably after it).

Thanks.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I want to rep this breakdown, but I'm out. That last part about KSU was beautiful.

That was funny, the ISU portion was full of koolaid. ISU gets them no where near Iowas 3mil population. We don't even get half of it. And the only toe hold ISU has in Omaha is the little toe, and it mostly gets stomped on.

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
That was funny, the ISU portion was full of koolaid. ISU gets them no where near Iowas 3mil population. We don't even get half of it. And the only toe hold ISU has in Omaha is the little toe, and it mostly gets stomped on.

I'm not saying we have 3 million fans. No chance. However. The state's cable TV is basically controlled by a few providers, namely, Mediacomm. Mediacomm would almost certainly add "The Network" and other providers (like CFU in Cedar Falls) would be forced to follow suit.

It's not necessarily about "fans," it's about TV sets.

nileo

Apr 29, 2010
Grimes
I'm not complaining here.

I like the 4 division thing, though. Has some fun to it. A division with CU, KU, KSU and whoever I'm forgetting isn't too bad for us.

It would leave us no better than we currently are in the B12 North. OU, CU, KU, KSU, OU. We are losing Neb and Mizzou, and gaining OU.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I'm not saying we have 3 million fans. No chance. However. The state's cable TV is basically controlled by a few providers, namely, Mediacomm. Mediacomm would almost certainly add "The Network" and other providers (like CFU in Cedar Falls) would be forced to follow suit.

Correct, and knowing the Omaha market and news coverage like I do I think there are enough ISU and KU fans in Omaha/CB to make Cox take it as well.

ISU may not get covered anywhere near what NU does in Omaha but it does get covered regularly.

nileo

Apr 29, 2010
Grimes
I would like this just for the fact that Texas wouldn't be able to call all the shots. They are going to have the 2 LA schools to deal with as well as OU.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa

I have to agree with this. I imagine the new network would hit all the same providers the big ten network does.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles

9 conference games, 3 non-con, divisions to meet in championship. Probably about 12 bowl affiliations? Never see the other side outside championship?

Maybe it will be like the NFL, where you have 2 conferences a division
that you always play, for ISU it might be KU,KSU, 2 other team (assume Nebby and Mizzou to the Big 10).

Then you play 4 or 5 more game against other Pac 10/ other Big 12.

And then 3 or 4 out of conference.

It really would not be much different than how the Big 12 is run today.

The fact that you have to go out and play other teams in the conference would
offset the concern about playing in a perceived weaker division

In the end the 2 teams with the best record in each conference play
in the title game in Dallas or Los Angeles..

The one problem is there are really only 3 teams who would be considered "free
agents" in terms of what division they play in. ISU, CU, and Texas Tech.
All other schools have an instate rival they will want to play. Under my scenario
you would need 4 free agent volunteers..

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
I would like this just for the fact that Texas wouldn't be able to call all the shots. They are going to have the 2 LA schools to deal with as well as OU.

Absolutely, and that raises the question of will Texas join a conference where they do not have complete control of the entire conference like that have always had?

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa

See my opening post in this thread but basically yes.

In BBall 18 conf games (everyone in your own div twice). Then two divisional brackets for the conf championship with the winner of each playing for the overall.

ppclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Okay, i'm excited about this. And the reason why is i've arrived to the sober realization that we really offer nothing to get taken by either the B10 or P10 outside of a package deal (we're the Texas Tech of the North). And it makes me sick. So this is really exciting.

It also makes sense - for the most part.
1. TV Power: everyone's made this point already. I also think a TV Network is absolutely doable...and likely. Thats a LOT of programming. It would be a bigger revenue driver than the Big Televen.

2. Scheduling: lotsa options - but they would want to keep it simple.
- Same scenario posted in here: 2 ten team entities. Minimize costs.
- Work in some inter-division schedulin
+ Football: maybe 7-8 games in division, 1-2 games out-of-division
+ BBall: easier b/c of more games. Would probably increase stregth of schedule as a benefit

Challenges/Issues/Barriers.
1. Texas. Any scenario like a Big 20 network would inhibit their ability to (a) start their own Longhorn Network and (b) take over the world
2. Education: we have some non-AAU schools that will certainly leave a bad taste in their mouth...or be a deal breaker (see: BYU not getting in to P10 b/c of this)
3. Any Football Championship between champs of each division. Hurts Texas/OU/USC chances at rollign to a national championship game.
4. NCAA. This could likely be the first shoe of mega-expansion. People have been talking about four 16-team superconferences and its ability to basically wreck the NCAA. This would be bigger than that...and could lead to maybe three superconferences (B12+P10, SEC/ACC, BigEast/Big10). Yes, its far out....but isn't everything at this point?

Again - i love this idea for ISU...and the Big 12. Its protective for us and proactive for the conference. Takes the sting off of losing Mizzery and Nebraska. Doesn't just salvage - but brings the likelihood of actually building equity in the only thing that matters anymore....money.