Perspective on the team and our fanbase

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I'm happy with the season. It doesn't mean we haven't blown some big games and frustrated everyone. I'm sure the players are frustrated sometimes too.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
We’ve had a ton of issues:

-Lards summer and delayed return
-Wigs injury
-Two freshman starting and playing major minutes
-SY our for the year

Imo this team has overachieved. The fan base has underachieved as is tradition.

I think the team has exceeded expectations. But given the circumstances I get why some fans are disappointed this morning. With KU down there was an opportunity to win the Big 12, and they blew it.

It's just hard to keep perspective throughout the season. At the start of the year just about everyone would have been more than happy with a top half conference finish and a tournament bid. But now it's evident that the talent is there to do more than just make an appearance in March. The only thing holding them back is a lack of maturity and experience. It's just a question of how fast can they grow up and learn to approach every game with the same intensity and effort.

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
I don't think the disappointment is because of W/L record in itself. It is how we are getting there. I think the disappointment is in the incredible lack of consistency in this team. And the unexplainable under performance when so much is on the line. It makes it feel like a lost season.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Yes, TCU and Baylor are legitimate big underdog losses, but there is no way if that KSU game was handicapped right now it would be a 10+ point spread. They are in the drivers seat for the conference championship. Heck if Weber had come forward and said that Wade would play instead of his continual cat and mouse game about injuries it might have not been on that day either.

This team suffers from a lack of toughness and a lack of vocal player leadership which I think go hand in hand. If there was ever a time for a players only meeting this is it. Who on the team is ready to take on that role and call one? I have my hopes set on Shayok.

That's not true though. We have shown that we are tough in several road games. It all boils down to effort and in all of our home losses we lost because the other team flat out played harder than us. Even when you take out last nights rebounding disparity, we still win that game if we don't have two 6 minute stretches without a FG.

• Agree
Reactions: Freebird

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
This is the hardest part for me. Many, many times our guys just stood there as if they were conceding the rebound to Baylor. NWB had one shot he missed that bounced right back to him, but he never moved and that little Baylor kid ran hard and grabbed it while NWB still stood there, I guess maybe stunned that he missed? But it was the whole team, that's just one example.

Yep, that was a three from the corner right in front of the Iowa State bench. I lost my **** on that play.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I don't think the disappointment is because of W/L record in itself. It is how we are getting there. I think the disappointment is in the incredible lack of consistency in this team. And the unexplainable under performance when so much is on the line. It makes it feel like a lost season.
Two things that contribute to inconsistency:
  • Youth at key positions
  • Team that hasn't played together for very long
Clearly with two freshmen starting and a sophomore one of the first off the bench the youth is there. With two freshmen and two first year transfers in the starting lineup the second is there as well. Injuries and suspensions to start the season meant that they couldn't play as much together with all of the lineups as well. You would hope that these would get better not worse as the season wears on, though.

I tend to think that a lack of vocal player leadership holding themselves and teammates accountable leads to inconsistency as well. It appears from the outside that this is an issue as well.

• Agree
Reactions: WastedTalent

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
It isn’t that this historically is such a bad season.... it is the nutcup performances that separate a good season from a great season. We’ve had plenty of good seasons.... the fans want a great season. The feelings and frustrations run deep... especially from someone like myself who has personal reasons for being passionate about the Cyclones....

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That's not true though. We have shown that we are tough in several road games. It all boils down to effort and in all of our home losses we lost because the other team flat out played harder than us. Even when you take out last nights rebounding disparity, we still win that game if we don't have two 6 minute stretches without a FG.
If getting outrebounded that badly in a game isn't a sign of lack of toughness, I don't know what is. It is easy to be "tough" when things go your way. When things aren't going your way it requires mental toughness that I still believe this team lacks or at least can't consistently demonstrate.

I guess it could be semantics. I attribute a lack of effort to a lack of mental toughness. You might look at it differently but I don't think we are that far apart.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Let's be honest, the reason this team was in contention for the conference title is because the big 12 is down this season, not because they're more talented than some previous seasons.
That’s not really true, but if we’re being honest, is that not part of the frustration?

What else is needed for this staff to finish better than 4th/5th? Other top team(s) suffer injuries more impactful than ours. Several impartial analysts make comments that our roster is equitable to any in the conference. We have several upperclassmen playing major roles, plus what should be a deep bench. We’ve at least split with what many believe are the competition for the conference race. But we’ve lost three home games, two to mid-pack teams.

Last edited:

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
Two things that contribute to inconsistency:
  • Youth at key positions
  • Team that hasn't played together for very long
Clearly with two freshmen starting and a sophomore one of the first off the bench the youth is there. With two freshmen and two first year transfers in the starting lineup the second is there as well. Injuries and suspensions to start the season meant that they couldn't play as much together with all of the lineups as well. You would hope that these would get better not worse as the season wears on, though.

I tend to think that a lack of vocal player leadership holding themselves and teammates accountable leads to inconsistency as well. It appears from the outside that this is an issue as well.
I agree we can blame youth to an extent but look at this clip that includes some upperclassmen watching Baylor do whatever the **** they wanted to. Team is just off in some games. Like they just don't give a ****.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I completely agree with the lack of toughness and vocal leaders. They seem really out of sync at crucial times and make some really bad turnovers and take some really bad shots. I'm also calling out the fans to a point. It's hard to find the Hilton Magic when the fans aren't on their feet yelling. I know it's hard to cheer when your team is not playing well but that's where the magic comes from. Lifting your team up and intimidating the opposing team.
I also agree that at the beginning of the year I'd be happy with our record. It's just hard to be so close and yet not there.
Crowd was great last night. Players had a great crowd supporting them and they didn’t take advantage.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I want to be careful criticizing the fans since I have not been able to attend many BB games for quite a few years. All fan bases cheer for their team when the team gives them something to cheer about. What always set Hilton Magic apart for me was when the crowd sensed that the team needed help because things weren't going too well they would spontaneously rise up and try to give the team energy. I know that is hard when the team is playing poorly or is simply getting out hustled or out worked. It has to be a conscious decision and you have to have critical mass of the attendees making that decision.

Last night I said it to my wife on a couple of different occasions - the crowd needs to get loud, the team needs help when it wasn't going well or after a Cyclone 3 when the crowd got loud that was answered by a Baylor 3 and the crowd went silent. They talk about silencing the crowd. The crowd doesn't have to go silent. Pause for a second so it is clear you aren't cheering the opponent 3 and go right back to cheering the team on. I was calling for that one last night as well. It can be disheartening for a player when you "silence the crowd" and they come back just as loud a couple of seconds later. The crowd can do the same thing to a coach who takes a time out to silence the crowd. Maybe take a little break during a ridiculously long time out but start ramping it up again before play resumes again. There is no rule that says the crowd has to cooperate with an attempt to silence them.

I get it, the team needs to cooperate because the crowd can only do so much, but if you go to the trouble to get to Hilton or JTS you might as well try as much as you can.

Crowds don't cheer when we transition to offense. Yeah, the 3's quiet the crowd. But 2 seconds after a Baylor turnover, the crowd goes silent then too.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I agree we can blame youth to an extent but look at this clip that includes some upperclassmen watching Baylor do whatever the **** they wanted to. Team is just off in some games. Like they just don't give a ****.

That video clip is last night's game in a nutshell, and probably all of our frustrating losses in a nutshell. When I watch that clip it's actually embarrassing that the guys in the white jerseys are the ones I cheer for. I hope Prohm plays that video on repeat all week because that lack of effort and toughness is simply not acceptable.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I disagree. There may not be an elite team but the strength of this league from top to bottom is as good as ever.
This may be a little conference defending.
There is depth, but in what perspective? Right now the top 8 just seem to be able to win or lose against each other on any given night.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This may be a little conference defending.
There is depth, but in what perspective? Right now the top 8 just seem to be able to win or lose against each other on any given night.
Look at the conference OOC win percentage and that includes some pretty darn good wins and other losses against top teams that were so very close to Ws. I don't see the conference as down.