Pete Taylor

rbrook

Mar 23, 2006
Newton, IA
Visit site
I am double spoiled because I am a Cardinals fan, and grew up listening to Jack Buck, and later Joe Buck and Mike Shannon. Joe still does the occasional STL game. IMO Jack was one if not the best broadcaster ever.

I agree, Jack Buck is the best announcer ever and Pete is next. I feel so blessed that I was able to hear both for so many years. Unfortunately no one else even comes close to those two, so I really miss both.

I absolutely hated listening to Zabel for the Hoks and Dolph is just as bad. At least tell score every once and a while. You could listen for 15 minutes to those two and still not know what the score was.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
I agree, Jack Buck is the best announcer ever and Pete is next. I feel so blessed that I was able to hear both for so many years. Unfortunately no one else even comes close to those two, so I really miss both.

Jack Buck had the greatest calls. He's the reason I'm a Cardinals fan.

"Go Crazy folks. Go Crazy."

"I do not believe what I just saw."

Then his Sept 11th poem, when baseball started again after that day.

Yes, Buck is the great one. But Pete is right up there. I liked his non-homer calls of the game. If the Cyclones were messing it up, he told it that way. No sugar coating it. But if they were doing well, you could really tell he was a fan, because his love of the Cyclones really came through.

Thanks. I like remembering things like that, even if they make me sad.

Dormeezy

Nov 2, 2006
Cedar Rapids
On the subject, any Twins fans in the house? It was a real treat listening to Herb Carneal call the Twins games for 40-some years (not that I was around for nearly that many of them).

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I am double spoiled because I am a Cardinals fan, and grew up listening to Jack Buck, and later Joe Buck and Mike Shannon. Joe still does the occasional STL game. IMO Jack was one if not the best broadcaster ever.

And now you have John Rooney, who is also one of the best.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Was it Jack who called the McGwire homerun when he broke the single season record? If so, that call was terrible.

clonefarmer

Apr 16, 2006
Pete Taylor had big time talent but chose to stay at ISU when he had the ability to be in a bigger market. A great great announcer, I loved his style.

This is absolutely true. Pete also helped to raise millions for ISU and was a first-class representative for the athletic department. Don't know anyone who didn't respect Pete.

For over 25 years, I turned down the sound on the TV broadcast and listened to Pete. His descriptions were always right-on.

The AD office went into the dump after Pete passed away till Jamie came along.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
If you have any doubt about John Walters just listen to Gary Dolphin call a game. He struggles with picking up the finer pointsu. Those points being things like players name's or what defense a team is playing. In football the other team can rip off an ESPN top play of the day and he makes it sound like a 3 yard run. The guy is not only a terrible homer but he is close to senile.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Jack Buck -yes. Joe Buck- sorry.

Pete is my all-time favorite followed by the less excitable Herb Carneal.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The greatest Cyclone there ever was.

I'd have to imagine it's just a matter of time before the press box or something is named after the guy.

I concur that the pressbox at Jack Trice should be named after Pete. I also think that John would want to be responsible for that - not that he's seeking to steal attention or limelight, but because he's that classy of a guy and he realizes that he's never going to be Pete in our eyes. I think that's the thing I like the best about John - he doesn't try to be Pete - he just tries to be himself. And his love for the Cyclones is genuine.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Pete was a legend. I thought Walters was going to be short term until we found someone good, but it's not looking like it.

Agreed with all.... we could have Dolphin or Zabel.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
On the subject, any Twins fans in the house? It was a real treat listening to Herb Carneal call the Twins games for 40-some years (not that I was around for nearly that many of them).

Pete was great. I liked Herb too. Another one I liked was Mark Holtz doing the Texas Rangers. He passed away from lukemia about 10 years ago, but I had a chance to listen to him for a few years after I got here. I think Mark started out in Omaha back in the early '70s.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
Walter's does a decent job, he has no easy task with being the guy after Pete Taylor though. Pete had one of those voices that just puts so much exitement into each play that not many broadcasters I have listened to can do. It surprises me how many college and NFL, MLB raido guys just don't seem too good. We really were lucky to have him.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
To this day I still accidentally say " Pete and Eric" when referring to the radio broadcasts.

Whenever I listen to The Tribute to Pete it chokes me up...all the time. I started listening to Pete and Eric when I was 7, what a horrible spring that was for ISU when Pete passed away.

Here's a nice website for Pete. CyclonesCentral.com :: Sounds

thanks for the link. some classic calls by Pete. Does anyone remember his call when Marv Seiler ran 78 yards vs Nebraska in 1992? Just awesome!! He was the best.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I had a dream growing up of being the play-by-play voice of the Cyclones. I had the chance to job shadow Pete during the Baylor game of '97 when we won in front of about 12,000 fans. Pete treated me like I was the most important person in the stadium that day. A couple years later, I came across him at a Cy-club outing and I was doing interviews for the radio station I worked for. He remembered me and introduced me to D-Mac, Fenelly, and the track coach and I interviewed all of them along with Pete. My interview with Pete had to be cut down because it went so long, most of it was just stuff I was interested in. The following year I covered ISU media day and he treated me like an old pal, introducing me to everyone, and always remembering me from the Baylor game. I did play-by-play for 9 years, HS and college sports. (for anyone who has ever done it, you know radio comes far from paying the bills.) I modeled my calls after Pete Taylor and did my best to be like him. After growing up listening to only him, that was all I knew.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I love reading all these reminiscences of Pete. He was a true Cyclone Legend! I always loved how he was always honest with the audience...if we were playing great you knew it and if we were playing lousy...Pete let us know that as well.

Doing play-by-play is not easy...the great ones like Pete make it look easy.

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
I don't compare the two.

Pete was special. For any Cyclone fan growing up he was a big part of our life’s. I would not expect anyone to replace him.

At the same time it does not discount the current.

God Bless Pete Taylor.