Pete Taylor

sclotz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Great post. Please post links to his play by play so everyone can hear his passion for ISU.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
We would drive the grain truck around the field to find the best reception then sit and listen to Pete call the game. Dad would wonder what was holding us up from coming to the combine when he signaled . It was usually a big play and we wanted to hear it knowing that as soon as we moved we might lose the signal. Crisp fall weather, combine running and Pete Taylor calling the Cyclones. A perfect Saturday

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Can still hear his tone of voice when something bad happened, like... ".....another interception by Iowa State. You have got to be kidding me!" You could just hear the deflation in his voice after something like that happened.

Last edited:

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
It was mid-Oct, 1976 of my sophomore year. My Towers dorm buddies were huddled with me in my room listening to the AM radio feed of the Missouri game Pete was calling. We were losing, 17-14 deep in the 4th Q, but working on a good drive - maybe we could at least squeak out a tie.
I'll never forget Pete's call and the exciting crescendo in his voice as he described how RB Dexter Green, taking a sweep pitch wide right, but turned and threw-back to QB Stanley (or was it Buddy?) that faked out the MizzU D for six and the Cyclones went on win 21-17; with a record of 5-1 ( loss to #3 OU) and were AP-ranked the following Monday.
Pete would never allow his personality to be bigger than the game, but invited you to participate and feel the experience as if you were there.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
We would drive the grain truck around the field to find the best reception then sit and listen to Pete call the game. Dad would wonder what was holding us up from coming to the combine when he signaled . It was usually a big play and we wanted to hear it knowing that as soon as we moved we might lose the signal. Crisp fall weather, combine running and Pete Taylor calling the Cyclones. A perfect Saturday

Awesome vignette.

I can relate to it in general, hauled plenty of corn from the field listening to Taylor's call. There are specific football games I still can associate precisely with which field we were harvesting that day.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Can still hear his tone of voice when something bad happened, like... ".....another interception by Iowa State. You have got to be kidding me!" You could just hear the deflation in in his voice after something like that happened.

Or that pissed off "Good night!" when we were on any kind of bad run or taking a screwing from the refs.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Can still hear his tone of voice when something bad happened, like... ".....another interception by Iowa State. You have got to be kidding me!" You could just hear the deflation in in his voice after something like that happened.

When it came to Nutt-Cup Protectors, Pete's was legendary. We should have a bronze statue displayed !!

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
the Cyclones.TV channel on YouTube has some great bits on Pete

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pete+taylor+iowa+state

I love going back and listening to come of the calls of the big games and plays with his call. Pete was a master at painting a picture of what was going on. He could suck you into a game and make you feel like you were sitting right next to him watching the game through all the highs and lows.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I know I'm the exception now days, but sometimes I just like to listen to a game on the radio instead of watching it with announcers I don't care for.

Lots of hours in the barn or a truck listening to Pete and now JW make the call. Pete's still my favorite though.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
All the youngsters don't realize what it was like when every game wasn't on TV (in fact, it was a huge treat when a game WAS on TV). Pete was all we had if we wanted to follow the game.
True. It wasn't all that long ago we were lucky if one non-Iowa game was on TV each year.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron