Pete Taylor

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
For someone who didn’t follow the Cyclones at this point, what was the timeline on this? It looks like they played a game the day he died, did he pass before or after the game? What happened? It just seems strange to have such a big part of the gameday experience pass and nothing changes schedule wise.

Reactions: CloneHead

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
For someone who didn’t follow the Cyclones at this point, what was the timeline on this? It looks like they played a game the day he died, did he pass before or after the game? What happened? It just seems strange to have such a big part of the gameday experience pass and nothing changes schedule wise.

Just pulled up the game recap from cyclones.com and honestly I had forgotten a lot of detail about that day. Just a wild walk down memory lane.

Why did they not cancel? I'm speculating here because I don't recall, but probably because Mizzou was already in town, and it was an announcer as opposed to someone actually on the team.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

If I remember correctly in the games before this he passed he'd been having some serious migraine headaches. He passed fairly early in the day I want to say around noon or so.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Tomorrow will mark 20 years since we lost Pete Taylor. Apparently the mbb radio broadcast today started with a Pete Tribute that will be on social media tomorrow. Seems hard to believe he's been gone 20 years. In many ways that day still seems like yesterday. I can almost remember everything about that day. :(

He was the 1st person I felt like I knew that I didn't know, years of listening him call FB and BB. You could turn the game on and tell how it was going. Was shocked when we learned of him dying. That was back before there was 100 ways every game to follow it he was the voice of the Cyclones. JW does a fine job but Pete will always be a huge part of Cyclone lore to me.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
He was the 1st person I felt like I knew that I didn't know, years of listening him call FB and BB. You could turn the game on and tell how it was going. Was shocked when we learned of him dying. That was back before there was 100 ways every game to follow it he was the voice of the Cyclones. JW does a fine job but Pete will always be a huge part of Cyclone lore to me.

I heard the news while driving and found a spot to park and just started balling my eyes out. It truly was like I had lost a family member.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
If I remember correctly in the games before this he passed he'd been having some serious migraine headaches. He passed fairly early in the day I want to say around noon or so.

If memory serves, he had appeared on the morning show of KXNO or whatever the big sports station was at that time. I remember reading about it, perhaps on Cyclone Report, and people said (before he had passed) that he sounded drunk. A few hours later, news of his passing broke and it all made sense.

I don't recall the headache thing you're mentioning. Not to dispute what you're saying, just that I don't remember that.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
I heard Pete was rushed to Iowa City for surgery which he did not survive. This is heresay though.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
We would drive the grain truck around the field to find the best reception then sit and listen to Pete call the game. Dad would wonder what was holding us up from coming to the combine when he signaled . It was usually a big play and we wanted to hear it knowing that as soon as we moved we might lose the signal. Crisp fall weather, combine running and Pete Taylor calling the Cyclones. A perfect Saturday
Awesome story.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
If memory serves, he had appeared on the morning show of KXNO or whatever the big sports station was at that time. I remember reading about it, perhaps on Cyclone Report, and people said (before he had passed) that he sounded drunk. A few hours later, news of his passing broke and it all made sense.

I don't recall the headache thing you're mentioning. Not to dispute what you're saying, just that I don't remember that.
Actually missed a game because of the headaches and that was when you knew something was really wrong.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
"ARE YOU KIDDING ME???"
Heard from John during all of the most exciting moments in recent Cyclone history. :D
I listened to many broadcasts by Pete Taylor, who was the Channel 8 sports anchor, back in the day. There were precious few TV games, so we relied on radio for most of the games. If he covered games in this era, we might refer to his style as "real raw". You always knew the game situation, but were also aware of how he felt about the Cyclones' performance on a given day. Yes, he was a pro broadcaster, but he was also a die hard fan. I remember the 1981 football game at OU, which ended in a 7-7 tie. Late in the game. ISU missed what would have been the game winning FG. But when the Cyclones crossed the 50 on what felt like a game winning drive, I remember that he belted out "And the Cyclones are ... BLOWING THE OKLAHOMA SOONER OFF THE FOOTBALL!!!". Lets just say that was a call that really drew you in. It had been many years since the days of the Dirty Thirty, and we were absolutely *sick* of losing to those S.O.B.s. So hearing those words was really powerful stuff. The coach at the time, too, was Donny Duncan, the former assistant at OU, and the game had no doubt been circled on the calendar. The roster was loaded with notable players in including QB John Quinn, RB Dwayne Crutchfield, DB John Arnaud (Austin's dad), and placekicker Alex "football has been very very good to me" Giffords. Alex just missed that kick, although if you read the article below, as I had long forgotten, ISU shot up the rankings to #12 in the rankings.

FYI, here is an Iowa State Daily "Random Recall" article recounting of the game:

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Before people left roses if I remember right at the end of the bench(?)

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
He was taken to the Iowa City hospital on Tuesday, passed away Wednesday morning, and the game was Wednesday night. Stroke, brain surgery, and brain hemorrhage.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Well said.

Watching these clips brings tears to my eyes. Every year. Every. Single. Time. In a lot of ways his voice literally (still to this day) defines my fandom. My brothers and I grew up on that voice.

I remember that day like it was yesterday.