Petition Against Chaplain

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Re: Let's simplify this whole thing

If the case went to court, that would be the clause at issue. It is hence the applicable part of that amendment.

In that sense, you are correct. As a matter of practicality, it would be applicable today, because of the precedent set by the courts over the past 50 years. However, that doesn't mean that is "correct" to apply that clause. It would likely not have been applied 100 or so years ago.

What constitutes an establishment of religion?

You pose many good, difficult questions. Assuming for this discussion that I accept the present interpretation of "Wall of Separation", I would then propose that the concept is not being applied fairly.

What if public school teachers denounce some religions in the classroom?

Christianity is regularly ridiculed in public school and college classrooms, many times with impunity. This behavior is accepted and even encouraged under the guise of "intellectual freedom".

What if they just actively advocate their own?

If the religion is Christianity, this behavior is practically forbidden today, and any teachers that openly try it would likely be legally reprimanded or fired. In practicality, in public classrooms today, our "law" makes it acceptable to ridicule Christianity, but not acceptable to advocate it. Personally, I find it very difficult to believe that our founders, no matter how diverse they were (and I do agree that they were diverse), intended for the constitution to promote and allow such a situation regarding any religion.

Additionally, the textualist/originalist position you are advancing is not the only method of constitutional interpretation. It could certainly be argued that there are larger principles embodied in the constitution that are not explicitly spelled out as such.

I agree that my position isn't the only one, but I think it is the "safest" one. The constituion functions on several levels...it provides the practical framework for running our country...it functions as philosphical document that provides interesting thoughts on the origins of human rights and liberties. But the question is, what is its primary function? I think its primary function is to serve as the framework for how our country is to operate. I have no problem discussing the constitution philosophically, but I do have a significant problem when the results of that philosphical discussion, which seem to clearly conflict with the intent of the Founders, are implemented as law through judicial decision.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Actually, without personal knowledge of this, I would bet that the ISU FB team has numerous "counselors" that are paid by the University and assigned to the team for various duties. It sounds to me as though you fear someone on the team seeking spiritual advice.

I have no problem with anyone seeking spiritual advice. My question remains as to why the University needs to endorse something like this instead of using the resources around Ames?

Because the Congress begins its sessions with a Christian prayer has it invalidated all other religions. I think not. In fact, if you look around the world you will see that the USA has the most religious tolerance of any nation with significant numbers of people practicing many, many religions.

And yet the United States has prohibited Mosques from sounding their call for prayer because it "infringes" on the Christians' rights for religion. Sounds a little biased to me since Christian churches can sound there call for prayer (bells).

Again, having the resource of a Chaplain does not mandate that anyone on the team use that resource. As I said earlier, it's kind of like the Parks Library...it is there for those that want to use it but no one is forced to use it.

And again, a non-denominational resource such as a library is different than endorsing a religious belief of any kind. It shows a preference, the library doesn't have a preference of religion.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I can't believe this ridiculous argument has lasted this long. We need to consult a Higher Power to resolve this. Let's make a pilgrimage to the Powerhouse Church of the Presumptuous Assumption of the Blinding Light...

"O Blinding Light! O Light that blinds! I cannot see! Look out for me!"

While I applaud your attempt to add something constructive to the discussion here, may I be so bold as to suggest your time would be better spent on sportsline.com holding down the "ENTER" key on the ISU mascot poll page...

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
If the religion is Christianity, this behavior is practically forbidden today, and any teachers that openly try it would likely be legally reprimanded or fired. In practicality, in public classrooms today, our "law" makes it acceptable to ridicule Christianity, but not acceptable to advocate it. Personally, I find it very difficult to believe that our founders, no matter how diverse they were (and I do agree that they were diverse), intended for the constitution to promote and allow such a situation regarding any religion.

I never have had a teacher at any level "ridicule" any religion in the classroom. Even at a parochial high school, I took a world religions course, and basically it was used to show the premise of the major religions and didn't favor one over any other. It was informative, and actually, is where I started to question organized religions as a whole. I would have a problem with any teacher at any level supporting one religion over others in the context of a classroom. I think that because Christianity is the prominant religion in our country, it just appears that it is "attacked" more.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
And yet the United States has prohibited Mosques from sounding their call for prayer because it "infringes" on the Christians' rights for religion. Sounds a little biased to me since Christian churches can sound there call for prayer (bells).

The difference being mosques would be sounding their call five times a day every day, as opposed to a once-in-awhile occurrence with the church. As a matter of fact, outside of really small towns, I can't remember the last time I heard a church bell chime. Probably because most city ordinances don't allow it anymore :sad9cd:

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
The difference being mosques would be sounding their call five times a day every day, as opposed to a once-in-awhile occurrence with the church. As a matter of fact, outside of really small towns, I can't remember the last time I heard a church bell chime. Probably because most city ordinances don't allow it anymore :sad9cd:

That's not entirely true. My parents live up the street from a church, and whenever there's a service, the bells are a ringing. However, in that same town, the Mosque can't publicly use it's call to prayer, but has to just announce it through the PA system inside the church. That's a stifling of freedom of exercising their religion because of the anti-muslim movement since 9/11, IMO.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006

Congress has made no law making Christianity our national faith nor have they made any law mandating a Christian Chaplain at ISU...so the first part actually does not apply.
You would have been right prior to the passage of the 14th Amendment. Technically the applicable part of the Constitution is the due process clause of the 14th Amendment, through which the 1st has been incorporated against the states. The courts have interpreted prohibitions of the 1st Amendment to apply to the states in exactly the same way as the federal government though, so for practicality purposes it makes sense to just discuss the 1st Amendment.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006

I agree that my position isn't the only one, but I think it is the "safest" one. The constituion functions on several levels...it provides the practical framework for running our country...it functions as philosphical document that provides interesting thoughts on the origins of human rights and liberties. But the question is, what is its primary function? I think its primary function is to serve as the framework for how our country is to operate. I have no problem discussing the constitution philosophically, but I do have a significant problem when the results of that philosphical discussion, which seem to clearly conflict with the intent of the Founders, are implemented as law through judicial decision.
I think I would disagree as to it being the "safest" one, probably because I like the results a more liberal interpretation more than you do. I also think this country would have been in trouble though if a strict constructionist interpretation had won out. I would also add that couched within serving "as the framework for how our country is to operate" is the notion of individual liberties which restrict what the government is able to do. Among those individual liberties are some that are not enumerated in the Constitution, and which are eluded to in the 9th Amendment. The wording of the 9th Amendment begs for a natural law approach to rights, and if such an approach is taken then it makes sense that we would better "discover" the extent of those rights as time goes on.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
Believe me Psyched, Kyle never shuts about anything:biggrin9gp:
I was going to prove you wrong by not responding. But then I figured that no one would realize I was proving you wrong unless I said something. So maybe I'll prove you wrong by not responding to your response to my response. Maybe.

PsychedClone

Apr 11, 2006
Visit site
I knew that you would wait for my response, so that you could not respond to it, and I am responding expecting you not to respond, but knowing that you probably will anyway, despite yourself.

If it were done when ’t is done, then ’t were well
It were done quickly.
Macbeth. ACT I Scene 7.

This is the LAST WORD, BWAH,HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

That's all Folks!!!

PolkCityClone

Mar 24, 2006
On what do you base that conclusion? The pilgrims and others who started the colonies fled England (primarily) and other European countries, where there existed state-sanctioned churches that did not tolerate diverse religious viewpoints. They didn't flee Europe because the church was running the government...

Your response does not make sense because it is based on your opinion and not on what I said. Is that all you got?

Cyphor

Aug 9, 2006
On what do you base that conclusion? The pilgrims and others who started the colonies fled England (primarily) and other European countries, where there existed state-sanctioned churches that did not tolerate diverse religious viewpoints. They didn't flee Europe because the church was running the government...

Wow! Are you actually pro-Theocracy???!!!!:baffled5wh:

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Wow! Are you actually pro-Theocracy???!!!!:baffled5wh:

Ahhh...no...but if there was an Olympic event for jumping to wild conclusions, I'd want you on our team! Just pointing out than many of the colonists who originally settled this country were escaping religious persecution in England and other European countries.

I thought somebody was trying to declare this thread dead above???

Cyphor

Aug 9, 2006
if there was an Olympic event for jumping to wild conclusions, I'd want you on our team!

Thanks, I was actually captain of the jumping to wild conclusions team in high school, but I couldn't make it at the collegiate level.

I'm sorry your posts are just very confusing to me. You seem to claim one thing, site a bunch of evidence, and then come to a contrary conclusion. I guess I just don't understand what you believe...sorry.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron