Misc: PGA announces rescheduled majors

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
519z3T4foYL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I read this book -- one of its major theses is that the perfection of Augusta National, so perfectly green on the television, has been an indirect environmental disaster. That it has set unrealistic expectations for golf courses and lawns across the country and across the world, so it has encouraged so heinous overuse of water and chemicals in treating lawns that would better off left a little less "perfect" and not so blindingly bright and green.

All this is on top of the "dirty secret" that Augusta National is only played roughly half or less of the year. The other half of the year is spent on maintenance of the course and allowing it to recover, which is not realistic for most other courses and lawns and helps it really shine when it shows up on television for the Masters once per year.

They may have to increase their green spray paint budget this year.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Augusta National would look a whole lot different in November (in a bad way) versus April without all those flowering trees and bushes, but it would still be worth it in every way.

No it won't. Augusta is so far removed from a natural look already that nothing will change.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I think this schedule is optimistic but at some point you have to put a stake in the ground and have a plan and then go from there. If you sit around waiting for everything to be fixed, then when it is, you have to scramble. The USGA also has a plan to play in December, probably at Riviera, so they are and have been the most flexible. The R&A just doesn't have any flexibility due to climate and cancelling their insurance payout for a slim chance at getting the tournament played wasn't feasible.

ClonesFTW

Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Perfect, that gives me some more time to straighten out the driver for the US Open qualifier....

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
I think this schedule is optimistic but at some point you have to put a stake in the ground and have a plan and then go from there. If you sit around waiting for everything to be fixed, then when it is, you have to scramble. The USGA also has a plan to play in December, probably at Riviera, so they are and have been the most flexible. The R&A just doesn't have any flexibility due to climate and cancelling their insurance payout for a slim chance at getting the tournament played wasn't feasible.

If they can’t play in August or September, one of them should go to Bandon in December. God, can you image the ******** from the pros. It’d be amazing

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
519z3T4foYL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I read this book -- one of its major theses is that the perfection of Augusta National, so perfectly green on the television, has been an indirect environmental disaster. That it has set unrealistic expectations for golf courses and lawns across the country and across the world, so it has encouraged so heinous overuse of water and chemicals in treating lawns that would better off left a little less "perfect" and not so blindingly bright and green.

All this is on top of the "dirty secret" that Augusta National is only played roughly half or less of the year. The other half of the year is spent on maintenance of the course and allowing it to recover, which is not realistic for most other courses and lawns and helps it really shine when it shows up on television for the Masters once per year.

Agree completely. Add in Augusta’s history of racism and it’s why I don’t get super excited for it every year like most people. It’s a great tournament, but for me the Open is much more interesting

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Neither. They both have stupid amounts of money. The average tour player makes 600k in a season.

And personally, I hope Augusta looks pedestrian. The perfect manicured look they produce is bad for the game as every hacker thinks that’s how every course is supposed to look.

That's never going to happen.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Everything is canceled into mid- May, I think the new plan is Memorial in mid-June as a new starting point.

Fat Jack is a big Trumphead so they'll go all out to make that happen.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
If they can’t play in August or September, one of them should go to Bandon in December. God, can you image the ******** from the pros. It’d be amazing

I think the pros would be fine. The media would ***** incessantly about the daily travel, though.

It'll be Riviera if they have to push it back that far. I'm pretty sure that's been decided.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I think the pros would be fine. The media would ***** incessantly about the daily travel, though.

It'll be Riviera if they have to push it back that far. I'm pretty sure that's been decided.

What's at Riviera?
Do you mean next January?

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
The first major of the PGA season will be the PGA Championship, played August 6-9, followed by the U.S. Open from September 17-20. The Ryder Cup will be played September 25-27, as was previously scheduled, and The Masters will be played November 12-15.

Apparently there is no word yet on The Open Championship.

Wow. The Masters in November. Have to shuttle back and forth between the football games.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I think I keep up with golf news, I sure must have missed that.

I don't know if it was ever published but it's been rumored behind the scenes and makes a ton of sense as that course can be playable and is set up to host year round.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I don't know what the big deal is. SIP Minnesota golfers can play golf in Iowa without problems, right?:D

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
No John Deere Classic this year. Illinois still has too many restrictions.