Phone Books

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I don't know about all of them, but from the ones I've discussed web presence with in detail, they have a separate web fee for something like that. You get something very basic, but to improve your ad positioning, I'm pretty sure it's extra.

Wow, then there really isn't much incentive to advertise in the paper book, unless you have a lot of old people as customers.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Wow, then there really isn't much incentive to advertise in the paper book, unless you have a lot of old people as customers.

Exactly. We went from small ads to nothing but bold listings in the last few years, and did save a ton of money, but the outlay for continuing the very basic presence is something we struggle with when it comes up for review. You hate to miss out on those who still use it, but the cost per customer reached is certainly going up and up.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
They charge businesses an arm and leg for listings too. We've been slowly phasing them out.
DEX charges close to $3000 for a BOLD listing, along with a fancy 1.5"x 2" advertisement...in color!
Oh and for no extra charge, they will throw in an online listing as well, WITH your website!

Google? No, **** google! DEX online is where its at these days.

Nov 6, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
I save the phone books for one reason, in case of emergency where power and internet is down, I can get numbers or locations to services (other than 911). Other than that, they sit and collect dust until the new one comes.

Political mail on the other hand, straight to recycling. Can't believe how many trees were wasted on this campaign.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Monitor stand. Duh.

monitorstand.jpg

Last edited:

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
They delivered them to our apartment probably 6 or so months ago and the whole stack is still just sitting on the steps to the entrance in their weather protected bags.

I did however use one for the first time in 10 years after a wedding a few weeks ago as I needed to place a drunken pizza order as my phone was dead.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Exactly. We went from small ads to nothing but bold listings in the last few years, and did save a ton of money, but the outlay for continuing the very basic presence is something we struggle with when it comes up for review. You hate to miss out on those who still use it, but the cost per customer reached is certainly going up and up.

Forget the phone book and start using bench advertising. It works for Phil Dunphy.

images

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
I'm primarily old and I have been throwing them away for years.

But I don't recycle them. Everything goes in the trash. When a landfill is full, it is capped and turned into a park. We need to fill landfills as quickly as possible. Can never have too many parks.

I'm going to guess primarily old people.

87CelicaGTS

SuperFanatic
Oct 2, 2010
Columbus, OH
My dog has a condition where she can't swallow food well. So when we feed her we put her food bowl on 3 phone books on top of a coffee table......I know, classy. So I actually look forward to new phone books so I can throw away the old ones that get all cruddy after a few months.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron