Places to kayak

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Nah, I went once in college. The group I was with was the group that decided to get into alcohol infused fights throughout the trip and there was a bunch of other similar crap.

The hilarity was that since we were floating down the river, the groups couldn't get away from each other so stuff kept sparking up.

Also side note this was a bunch of D3 football players and the highlight was when a guy from our group called out 'well let me go get our all-conference linebacker and see what he has to say' like anyone knew or cared. Cringe and entertaining all the same.
Sounds like no beeds and only male boobies. Need a better group to hang with.

Reactions: madguy30

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Some rivers are beautiful, but full of rocks. If you like to stop frequently on soft sand bars, the Cedar River is great. Float the stretch south of Palisades and finish your float at the Tavern in Sutliff.

Reactions: madguy30

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Most of the shoreline stuff can be done with any kayak. I’ve got a 13 foot sit on top and I have zero issues going out on Superior on calm days. Just pay attention to the wind and wave forecast and all good.

Many think it require sea kayaks only so get spooked by it. But generally you are never more than 100 yards offshore. Completely worth the trip if you’ve never done it.
Will definitely add Apostle Islands to my list

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I’ve always wanted to kayak down the Wapsipinicon. Anyone ever done it?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
So dumb question, do some of these upper iowa routes have shuttles and rentals? River paddling is fun but coordinating logistics can be challenging.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
So dumb question, do some of these upper iowa routes have shuttles and rentals? River paddling is fun but coordinating logistics can be challenging.
Pretty sure a number of the private campgrounds offer both. We used to use Hruska's just for a shuttle but he closed(retired?) a few years ago.

Reactions: Al_4_State

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Hruska’s retired and sold their business 3-4 years ago. It’s called White’s Riverside Campground now. I’d recommend them for that iconic Kendalville to Bluffton float. Harvest Farms north of Cresco runs a less crowded (but still beautiful) stretch of the Upper Iowa. Hutchinson Farm is closer to Decorah. I think Upper Iowa Resort near Dorchester runs shuttle on the lower reaches closer to the Mississippi.

Anywhere between Granger/Florenceville and Decorah will have the bluffs, cliffs, and springs people come to the Upper Iowa for.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
We go to Rock Creek since it's close to our house. If we want something longer we go to Boone to the Des Moines river.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
We boat quite a bit, seeing a lot more of the "setup for fishing" kayaks out there now a days.

Speaking of fishing, boast and kayaks there's a reminder I'd like to throw out since there will be a lot of kayakers reading this thread. We fish a lot on several lakes around Cedar Rapids. It is amazing the number of times we are fishing along the shoreline and kayakers will paddle between our boat and the bank. Typically we are within 30 feet of the shore and it is evident that we are fishing. It can be very irritating.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Lake Hendricks
you-serious-clark-cousin-eddie.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
We live in Michigan now... thinking of getting some kayaks... they are very cheap up here on marketplace and or craigslist... I have a 3 year old... anyone have a good model to look for with a small child (2 holer, she wont be going alone)
Just be sure to get a good ‘heads up’ style life jacket for the little one.

Reactions: Dr.bannedman

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Speaking of fishing, boast and kayaks there's a reminder I'd like to throw out since there will be a lot of kayakers reading this thread. We fish a lot on several lakes around Cedar Rapids. It is amazing the number of times we are fishing along the shoreline and kayakers will paddle between our boat and the bank. Typically we are within 30 feet of the shore and it is evident that we are fishing. It can be very irritating.

Kayakers I don't mind as much.

Motor boats is a different story. I don't get out often on the Madison chain due to it turning into a gooey mess by late May (and earlier every year) but if I do my head has to be on a swivel even if close to the bank.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Kayakers I don't mind as much.

Motor boats is a different story. I don't get out often on the Madison chain due to it turning into a gooey mess by late May (and earlier every year) but if I do my head has to be on a swivel even if close to the bank.
Some extra weight while benching and some push ups will cut down on the motor boats.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron