Play in game

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
I had to chuckle this morning listening to Dan Patrick talk about tonight's games. He said, "Tonight's play in game, the last four in. It's like the JV warm-up game. Before the real thing."

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Why does Fran get a huge bonus for making the NCAA tournament if no one even has the opportunity to pick them in their brackets?

:confused:

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Tried to watch some last night and honestly it's just hard to get excited about two 16 seeds or two 12 seeds playing each other. The whole time I was just thinking about how these teams probably shouldn't be in the tourney at all and the winner will probably get bounced in the first round anyways.

Anyone know the record of the teams that win the play in games?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Tried to watch some last night and honestly it's just hard to get excited about two 16 seeds or two 12 seeds playing each other. The whole time I was just thinking about how these teams probably shouldn't be in the tourney at all and the winner will probably get bounced in the first round anyways.

VCU made a final four run , La Salle made it to the sweet 16 I believe

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

VCU, from a couple years ago, is the Play-in cinderella story that every Hawkfan has been reading before bedtime this week. Other than that, I'm not sure play-ins have done too much damage.

Correction: LaSalle as well. thanks Cytwins.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
VCU, from a couple years ago, is the Play-in cinderella story that every Hawkfan has been reading before bedtime this week. Other than that, I'm not sure play-ins have done too much damage.

Correction: LaSalle as well. thanks Cytwins.

This is the 3rd year with the play-in, correct? And I'm pretty sure the 1st two years one has at least made a sweet 16 game. It will be interesting if that trend holds up.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
VCU made a final four run , La Salle made it to the sweet 16 I believe

I didn't realize VCU was in the play in game that year.

I think it would be more compelling if the committe designated these games for the top mid majors that didn't make it. Or at least pit a good mid major against an average major like NC State, there's at least a story line there. Instead I'm watching very average ACC & Big East teams go at it.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I had to chuckle this morning listening to Dan Patrick talk about tonight's games. He said, "Tonight's play in game, the last four in. It's like the JV warm-up game. Before the real thing."

He put up an Iowa State helmet on the set. Says he likes our basketball team, even though he hasn't seen us play all year. At least he is honest about his analysis compared to the other talking heads.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006

This is why I don't like the play ins. Part of the cool part of the tournament is these little schools get rewarded for winning their league by playing on a big stage. Granted that reward typically ends up being getting drubbed by 40 points, but it's still better than the case described in that article. If the ncaa wants more games make more bubble teams play in.

Also I'm in vacation in Arizona and can't even watch these games. I don't care if you call it play in, jv or first four, it's clearly not part of the real tournament. Feel free to dig this up if ISU ever plays in one and I'll say the same.

Cyclone27inQC

Jun 16, 2010
Quad Cities
They almost made it in to play the BIG Dance.....should have went to the NIT and get beat there with hardly watching those games and the latest choke job.