Players who have surprised so far

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
I love Mutcherson. He seems like he could be Leonard Johnson at safety. Got the pick and was ferocious in run support. I loved the play where Weisman turned up field and put his head down but Mutcherson took a run at him, got under him, and literally took him off his feet and knocked him 2 yards backward.

Meyers played great inside. He's small for interior dline but he held his own physically and Iowa could not handle his quickness. He was very disruptive the whole game.

Looking forward to seeing more of Floyd. He made a great read and crushed Bullock for a 3 yard loss on that swing pass.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I love both of the safeties. Huge athleticism upgrade. The dline has been sufficient which is probably more than I expected. The Oline is in the same boat. Nealy is one of the best runners we have had here but he obviously needs to hang onto the ball.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
I'm gonna echo CW and go with Garcia. I would have called you crazy if you told me he would have 2 sacks on the season, let alone the first 3 games.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
For me it's Campos and Cotton Moya. I didn't think Campos would be as strong of a player as he was in the KSU game, and followed it up with a strong showing in the Iowa game. I didn't follow much football in the off season so I admit I had no idea who Cotton Moya was(let the lynch mob light their torches), but he's been a solid player so far too.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Mutcherson and Cotton-Moya have been really good, as mentioned, but I think I might be most surprised with Lazard. Granted, it may have been the result of a horribly unfortunate injury (Bundrage), but to see a true freshman step up the way he has so far has been a joy to see.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Allen Lazard

semi:jimlad: in that he's the second leading receiver 3 games in.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Agree with just about most statements so far in this thread. Mutcherson & Cotton-Moya have been flashing a lot from their safety positions. Good to see Qujuan Floyd & Cotton make some plays last Saturday. Meyers has played solid with his best game being his last & Garcia has filled in well on the DL. Campos has played extremely well given the circumstances, Lazard has gradually done more & more each game, and players like Medders have stepped up when called upon.

However, I'd like to point out Trent Taylor. His pressure off the edge has gotten better each game. Couple times his initial pressure is what led to others getting a sack. Also had the nice strip play.

Also, Darius White has shown some at DE as well, especially considering he changed there this Spring (if I remember correctly).

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Campos, Meyers, and Garcia. Campos and Garcia are playing better than we've seen Freshmen at their position play in a long time. Meyers played really solid inside for a 260 pound guy last week.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
I am going with Jevohn Miller. His stepping up to lead the LB core has turned what could've been the achilles heel of the defense into an unexpected strength. He came on during the KU a WVU wins at the end of last year, but this year the big surprise was moving to MLB. It just tears me up that he had to burn his redshirt and this is his last year, but am greatful at least that his last year will be his best year.

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
We have some very young (and very talented) players on this team. A few are making it onto the field and are showing us what they can do.

When you add in that we have guys like Martinez and Warren, Holmes and Peavy, Harvey,Northrup and Seonbuchner, Salters and Wesley. I am really looking forward to seeing how all these young guys develop

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Both safeties, especially last Saturday. Jevohn Miller has come a long way. He was pretty much responsible for ISU's loss to UNI last year, and he has improved quite a bit since then. Downing is another...he's is making the transition from Van Der Kamp much easier. Medders was a surprise on Saturday, will be interesting to see if he continues to show.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Downing has been a pleasant surprise. Jensen has played pretty well for a guy that quit and then came back 6 months later. Both safeties have played pretty well at times. Now that some of the JC guys have started to get some playing time, I am hoping they will be surprise players too.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I'm interested to see how medders follows up the last game as I feel as though we will need him with Harris out now also I really like what I've seen out of Miller he has really improved the most imo since he got here

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I'm going with Medders since he was a player who went from likely not seeing the field to a guy that made some key catches to help beat Iowa. With both Harris and Bundrage out I think Medders progresses to become one of Sam's favorite targets. I wonder if he's still a walk-on.