Playoff Setup

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I like that a lot (still want bigger though), but I have a feeling that all the gaming of seeding/participants will be done by the committee. I'd expect the Big Ten & SEC champs plus 2-3 from each league to fill out the 7.
I'd think it's going to be a given that both participants in those conference championship games are in win or lose. Is this going to dilute the importance of those conference title games? Do we start seeing programs sit starters for conference title games to keep them healthy for the playoff?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'd think it's going to be a given that both participants in those conference championship games are in win or lose. Is this going to dilute the importance of those conference title games? Do we start seeing programs sit starters for conference title games to keep them healthy for the playoff?
Yeah, that's what I meant before the +. Guess I could have phrased it differently, but was mainly commenting on the 2-3 bids each out of the 7 non-champs.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
so if we take last year's CFP rankings and the new conferences.

5 top ranked teams
Michigan - Big 10
Texas - SEC
Florida State - ACC
Arizona - Big 12
Oregon State - Whatever conference they are in.

7 at larges (all Big 10/SEC)
Washington
Alabama
Georgia
Ohio State
Oregon
Missouri
Penn State.

In 2022, it would be like this.
Georgia - SEC
Michigan - Big 10
TCU - Big 12
Clemson - ACC
Oregon State - whatever conference they are in

7 at larges (3 Big 10, 2 SEC, 2 Big 12)
Ohio State
Alabama
Tennessee
Utah
Kansas State
USC
Penn State

In 2021.
Alabama - SEC
Michigan - Big 12
Cincinnati - Big 10
Notre Dame - ACC
Louisiana - whatever conference they are in

7 at larges (2 SEC, 2 Big 10, 3 Big 12)
Georgia
Ohio State
Baylor
Ole Miss
Okie State
Michigan State
Utah

The key thing for Iowa State was that the top 4 or 5 conferences get an auto build. Gives Iowa State a possible path to the playoffs.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
So did they give Wazzu and Oregon State P5 status or did they give it up?
No conference technically has "P5 status."

It will just be the top 5 conference champions, which will virtually always include SEC, B1G, Big XII, and ACC. The 5th conference to get a spot will vary from year to year, but it seems plausible the MW/PAC can beat out the AAC, MAC, CUSA, or Sunbelt more often than not.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL

It will just be the top 5 conference champions, which will virtually always include SEC, B1G, Big XII, and ACC. The 5th conference to get a spot will vary from year to year, but it seems plausible the MW/PAC can beat out the AAC, MAC, CUSA, or Sunbelt more often than not.
By P5 I meant the payouts per school from the CFP deal. Which there is a cutoff and was essentially P5 plus Notre Dame.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

The MWC is actually benefitting that it was plundered years back (TCU/Utah, then BYU trying failed independence) and now it's actually getting a little bump with WSU/Ore St inevitablely joining. The American is fresh off losing its top three teams but could build up again over time.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Possibly. But I assume the top 4 seeds get a bye the first round of the playoffs. That may be the determining factor for the starters to play the conference title game.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
I don't think so. Maybe it's been said for sure but I anticipate 4 teams with a bye and maybe some home/away games. I'd think winners of conference championships will get 1 or 2 of those rewards

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron