Pollard on Cyclone Club Level Changes

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I believe you get 2 additional priority points for donating $200 more over the States $300 amount. To answer your question there is no real benefit in donating $500 instead of $300 except that you love the Cyclones!
I really just have to sit down and figure out which way is more beneficial to both me and Iowa State. If I stay at $500 it probably just stays there. If I go down to $300 it would be with plans to do the 110% stuff. So short term less money but growing towards giving more.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Turns out when you buy a house and remodel it and have a new born baby, you have to cut back in some spots.

Who woulda thought huh?

I could just not support them at all and not buy tickets or donate?

You probably would love to find a cure to cancer so why don't you donate to cancer resarch?
What a great idea … not cancer research but Im going to donate to https://333fordipg.com/

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006
Turns out when you buy a house and remodel it and have a new born baby, you have to cut back in some spots.

Who woulda thought huh?

I could just not support them at all and not buy tickets or donate?

You probably would love to find a cure to cancer so why don't you donate to cancer resarch?
Agreed! If Covid has taught us one thing, as much as I love Iowa State, I love my family more and that might mean cutting back on my donation to help my security blanket for my family.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Don't forget, the more you donate to ISU, bigger the tax deduction. Less taxes to be paid.
Cyclone Club contribution only tax deductible if you don’t buy tickets.

Reactions: GoldCy

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I bought tickets and got my tax deduction letter from ISU a couple days ago.
Your tax deduction letter? Or the statement of contributions with the asterisk by the CC donations? With the * explanation line including “.. no charitable deduction is allowed for Iowa State athletic contributions for which the donor receives the right to purchase tickets or seating at an Iowa State University athletic event. …”

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I believe you get 2 additional priority points for donating $200 more over the States $300 amount. To answer your question there is no real benefit in donating $500 instead of $300 except that you love the Cyclones!
If you are concerned about a parking pass or changing seats, the additional priority points will bump you in front of some people.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
My tickets are in a non-donor section, so I can claim the entire amount.
That doesn’t matter, you still paid and received tickets. That’s not a tax write off since you received tickets in exchange for you money.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
If one purchases non donor seats they receive tickets for their ticket money not their donation. So the donation was not required and they did not receive any benefit for making the donation.

• Winner
Reactions: Remo Gaggi

WFBClone

Aug 10, 2018
We're at the captains level and have season tickets for MBB and WBB, MBB for 25 years and WBB for around 20. Had football tickets for 22 years but gave them up due to weather and scheduling issues---never quite sure when the games would be played because of television commitments. Two ways to think about costs for fans:
1. How you spend your money reflects personal priorities. We will renew next year but of our budgeted family expenses, only property taxes will be more than what we spend on ISU athletics (donation plus tickets). We will spend less on utilities, food (including restaurants), cars (tags, maintenance, gas), household repair, other budgeted donations. Our only greater budgeted expense will be health insurance and medical expenses. Is our expense for ISU athletics this high a priority? We will be doing some hard thinking. Everyone has different priorities but think about where ISU sports fits in.

2. We attend about 36 events a year, so our costs next year will be $70-$75 per person per event (ticket price plus donation divided by 36). Some events clearly are worth the price---conference basketball games, for example. But some nonconference basketball games are pretty awful, and sometimes the scheduling results in two games per day, which is a lot of basketball.

We do spend money on other nonbudgeted expenses such as vacations and donations depending on our financial situation but these vary widely from year to year.

Our sense is that ISU athletics is evolving into more of a corporate focus than for the average fan and university friend's support and attendance.

Your thoughts?

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
We're at the captains level and have season tickets for MBB and WBB, MBB for 25 years and WBB for around 20. Had football tickets for 22 years but gave them up due to weather and scheduling issues---never quite sure when the games would be played because of television commitments. Two ways to think about costs for fans:
1. How you spend your money reflects personal priorities. We will renew next year but of our budgeted family expenses, only property taxes will be more than what we spend on ISU athletics (donation plus tickets). We will spend less on utilities, food (including restaurants), cars (tags, maintenance, gas), household repair, other budgeted donations. Our only greater budgeted expense will be health insurance and medical expenses. Is our expense for ISU athletics this high a priority? We will be doing some hard thinking. Everyone has different priorities but think about where ISU sports fits in.

2. We attend about 36 events a year, so our costs next year will be $70-$75 per person per event (ticket price plus donation divided by 36). Some events clearly are worth the price---conference basketball games, for example. But some nonconference basketball games are pretty awful, and sometimes the scheduling results in two games per day, which is a lot of basketball.

We do spend money on other nonbudgeted expenses such as vacations and donations depending on our financial situation but these vary widely from year to year.

Our sense is that ISU athletics is evolving into more of a corporate focus than for the average fan and university friend's support and attendance.

Your thoughts?
Great comments and thoughts. I applaud you for your effort and check writing.

We always need more fans like you. Our real weakness is in the $100-$250 donation people that look for reasons to contribute vs. just writing the check.

WFBClone

Aug 10, 2018

Your thoughts?
I forgot to add that our cyclone athletics expense for next year will be equivalent to what we pay in property taxes.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011

Swap “college” for “ISU,” and that’s about right. I don’t think the underlying principles have changed, but, both college and pro, organizations have never been more transparent about their desire to extract more revenue.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron