Pollard on Cyclone Club Level Changes

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Surprised me too. He expressed a few years ago that the existing donor base was about tapped. Again, with fears of not being able to grow the base; here comes Pollard & Light. This doesn’t signal milking to me, but fear of what the new B12 TV contract will be; he eluded to it re: Hilton renovations.
He said a lot without saying much there...but it's telling he can't borrow money until a new contract is signed.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
God forbid the Big 12 and the 41 million annually ever go bye-bye but I would love to see how much our peers use conference funds as a % of their annual budget compared to us.
I also wonder are state funds included in those amounts? Seems like not too long ago when we stopped getting state funds we found out that a lot of schools use state funds extensively to support their ADs.

TJSClone

Jul 24, 2021
Dang, 50% increase is a lot.

Havent watched the video but safe to assume they will be reseating both football and basketball next year.
But a 0% increase at the Century level and 20% at the State level seems kind of odd. I’d think anyone could come up with $50 to $125.

Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
The problem is that there are only so many premium seats available especially in Hilton, and when current donors can buy bunches of tickets, there’s just not much room for new donors if you have any interest in MBB. Having grown up with Hilton Magic, my first concern is still MBB over FB and based on the donor map of Hilton it seems I’m far from alone. And that’s going to be a problem for a while - as much as I love CMC and know we need FB to lead the program, I’m not super excited to donate that much $$ for 6-7 Saturdays a year without comparable benefits for MBB. That doesn’t work when JTS seats 61,500 and Hilton is only 14k.

TJSClone

Jul 24, 2021
Another thought - how about a fairly steep ticket price for non-donors? If even an increase of $15 to $25 per football ticket might drive more folks to join the CC to avoid to adder. Once they are in, they tend to stay in. Spitballing here….

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I think there has to be. That needs to be an overall department goal for the next year and beyond.
Agree, would be interesting to know what are the goals and strategies. Maybe something like every graduate gets a CC packet with a new donor class of $50 a year for the first 5 years and they get same benefits as Century level. Maybe a goal of 1% of each graduating class or something like that - I'm spitballing here it's not all gold!

Reactions: TJSClone

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
This seems to be the key - approximately just 6700 of us donors when we have 60,000+ at games and several hundred thousand living alumni? I know the attendance includes families and students, but seems like this list should easily be doubled. Need to figure out how to promote more CC members.

Do people really think Pollard hasn't tried to grow the Cyclone Club? He said right in the video that donations have tripled during his tenure, and now we're just casually tossing off that it needs to double? I'm guessing he's quite aware of what the possibilities are and limitations he may have bumped up against.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
1642646616959.png

1642646649110.png

Both schools were of similar size and growth until the mid 2000's. ISU student population growth from the mid 2000's is just now starting to hit donation age. The years we were above 30K students.. Those grads are in their late 20's to early 30's (Like me).

Most made poor financial decisions and borrowed up to their eyeballs to pay for school. They aren't in positions yet to become donors that move the needle

TJSClone

Jul 24, 2021
Do people really think Pollard hasn't tried to grow the Cyclone Club? He said right in the video that donations have tripled during his tenure, and now we're just casually tossing off that it needs to double? I'm guessing he's quite aware of what the possibilities are and limitations he may have bumped up against.
Not suggesting at all that he hasn’t tried but just pointing out that the total number of donors is paltry at best. I’ve led fundraising efforts in the past for organizations and you typically focus on those already giving to give more as they are already vested but you also go after new donors just as hard. Seems JP needs to continue to focus on all fronts, but perhaps he has failed in this one area to date…

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
The problem is that there are only so many premium seats available especially in Hilton, and when current donors can buy bunches of tickets, there’s just not much room for new donors if you have any interest in MBB. Having grown up with Hilton Magic, my first concern is still MBB over FB and based on the donor map of Hilton it seems I’m far from alone. And that’s going to be a problem for a while - as much as I love CMC and know we need FB to lead the program, I’m not super excited to donate that much $$ for 6-7 Saturdays a year without comparable benefits for MBB. That doesn’t work when JTS seats 61,500 and Hilton is only 14k.

I agree on the Hilton conerns over JTS. Sitting on the 50 yard line in the upper deck is a GREAT SEAT and requires a $300 donation. For center court at a MBB game in the balcony. That donation is $3750...

• Winner
Reactions: DSM4Cy

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
I agree on the Hilton conerns over JTS. Sitting on the 50 yard line in the upper deck is a GREAT SEAT and requires a $300 donation. For center court at a MBB game in the balcony. That donation is $3750...

The practicality of this isn’t easy, but what about a ticket exchange of high donor seats for donors first? We all know there are pockets of lower-level seats that aren’t used for non-conference games. Priority for student section seats for those games? Balance it with the Jr. Cyclone Club as that’s important too. You’ve got to find ways to get your donors at the lower levels at least a chance at access to better seats. For any game that isn’t full we should be packing people as close to the floor as possible. I used my grandparents’ seats down low for 3 non-conference games and for 2, I was the only person in their row. For the other, there were maybe 5 others for about 16 seats. It was nice to have the room but it also really bugged me that we didn’t have loyal fans getting to use them.

Reactions: NWICY

CycloneBax

Nov 9, 2006
Ankeny

Every year I try to find better seats in Jack Trice in my donation level as my seats are 1 level below than what I donate. I have yet to find 4 seats in my donor level. I really believe people will just up their donations. This is long overdue.

Also, I really hope they go after the parking for additional money. It is a steal for a donor to get a season pass for $50. Public parking for the Iowa game was $40. I have had an RV pass for the last 15+ years. I fully expect this will go up and budgeted $1000 for it this fall.

I'm astounded at how small the donor base is. Kansas St and Iowa have similar donor amounts and I was shocked Iowa was that low. KSU benefits greatly from the KU fan base that goes to their football games and donates.

I have already paid at the new amount for my level. After listening to the video I went on cyclones.com, saw the updated amount and paid.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This seems to be the key - approximately just 6700 of us donors when we have 60,000+ at games and several hundred thousand living alumni? I know the attendance includes families and students, but seems like this list should easily be doubled. Need to figure out how to promote more CC members.
You take out students, band, visitor tickets, and Jr Cyclone tickets. We probably have 40,000 season ticket holders as donors. Now you have seats not requiring them, the cheap package ones, and large level donors able to get 8. It may be only able to push a thousand more until we get the non donor seats into required seats.

I think the best is to not raise the general admission seats but require a $10-25 donation per seat for them. Break the ice even with the cheap seats, the first one is the hardest one.

Reactions: TJSClone

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
No, not surprising. Just disappointing when they don’t really have any other advantages over us beyond Snyder.

We’re so far behind. We’re looking at least a slight loss of tv revenue.

People in this thread are talking about dropping a level. It’s scary.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
I've been doing the 110% thing for a few years now, I hope more people do as it doesn't seem like a huge hit yearly but over the course of a few years is nice.

Same here. Three years in a row had me at 33% over. Next year's 110% would have compounded to 46% over my donor tier so fortunately the 50% change has basically no impact in my planned giving

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron