Pollard on KXNO

Status
Not open for further replies.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Random thought:
Is selling alcohol throughout JTS and Hilton a realistic scenario to help dig ISU out of the financial hole?

Probably not. Consider that most news stories only report "gross sales" -- not boiling it down to the actual net profit.

For example, in 2018 West Virginia sold ~$1.3M worth of beer and wine at football.
Of that, the AD only received ~$675k. The rest went to the concessionaire/vendor.
Assume that the AD also had expenses that cut into that $675k figure.

WVU also eliminated the halftime pass-outs, so if their fans want to slam beers at halftime they either pay concession prices or leave the stadium and stay gone.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Alcohol isn't a huge money maker
A big bump to a 6.5 year old thread!

I think they may be able to make more money if they offered more food choices and with those choices came better service. If the service were better, the lines would not be as long, and people would more likely go back for more. If people are eating twice as much food, then the revenue goes up.

Granted, better concession service would have its own costs.....

I wonder if all the legal ramifications of potentially selling alcohol to minors could be deemed "worth it' even if the revenue from alcohol sales increases.

ClonesFTW

Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
SEC schools are churning over 2 mil a year in alcohol revenue - I'd imagine we could do at least half that, no?

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Probably not. Consider that most news stories only report "gross sales" -- not boiling it down to the actual net profit.

For example, in 2018 West Virginia sold ~$1.3M worth of beer and wine at football.
Of that, the AD only received ~$675k. The rest went to the concessionaire/vendor.
Assume that the AD also had expenses that cut into that $675k figure.

WVU also eliminated the halftime pass-outs, so if their fans want to slam beers at halftime they either pay concession prices or leave the stadium and stay gone.
Throw out a challenge to WVU. I bet in 2021 we could double that lol

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
SEC schools are churning over 2 mil a year in alcohol revenue - I'd imagine we could do at least half that, no?

I bet we could do more than half of that. JP needs to drop the no booze thing. I would not buy a ton of 8 dollar beers but maybe 1-2.

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Our HS Wrestling supporters have provided labor for Chiefs home game concession stands, of which I have been a participant. Beer sales are cut off at the end of the 3rd quarter. I have worked these stands and also sat as a spectator in the stands. I am no fan of alcohol sales within a stadium. By 2nd half a lot of obnoxious words and actions take place by a fairly high percentage of attendees. In comparison, the alcohol consumed in the parking lot before the game and at halftime at ISU games does not cause near the affect as full access at an NFL game. In my opinion, an NFL game is not the place to take your kids if they are under high school age as it gets pretty out of hand and embarrassing. I hope ISU does not need revenue to the point that alcohol sales become a part of game experience. The parking lots are where it should be and I like a beer as much as the next guy.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Holy necrobump.

With that said, my frugal spending habits tend to quickly vanish when presented an option of alcoholic beverages at sporting events.

We don't need full beer/bar access. Just have some cardinal & gold jell-o shots passed up and down the aisles by concessions staff after each score.
row by row shot ski's??

Reactions: 2ndCyCE

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Our HS Wrestling supporters have provided labor for Chiefs home game concession stands, of which I have been a participant. Beer sales are cut off at the end of the 3rd quarter. I have worked these stands and also sat as a spectator in the stands. I am no fan of alcohol sales within a stadium. By 2nd half a lot of obnoxious words and actions take place by a fairly high percentage of attendees. In comparison, the alcohol consumed in the parking lot before the game and at halftime at ISU games does not cause near the affect as full access at an NFL game. In my opinion, an NFL game is not the place to take your kids if they are under high school age as it gets pretty out of hand and embarrassing. I hope ISU does not need revenue to the point that alcohol sales become a part of game experience. The parking lots are where it should be and I like a beer as much as the next guy.
depends on your definition of family fun. Bucs hockey at the Madhouse on Hickman and then Barnstormers games in the Barn were great growing up because of how rowdy the fans were. the Bucs still somewhat have that feel to it (not as much lately) and the Barnstormers really lost it (larger arena really) both serve alcohol and you see kids at both all the time still.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

So how about a Cyclone Beer Wagon

Buy your beverages from the "official" alcohol provider of Cyclone Football

Cute girls, music, BBQ....JP throwing beads...tip jar with funds going directly to support the football program

But I'm with you. Football games get sloppy with in stadium sales.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

There's something to this argument, but after having attended a handful of college games with alcohol in the stadium, I'll just put it like this:

There is a difference between the NFL crowd and the college crowd. And the college crowd just doesn't respond to alcohol the same way. NFL games are like going to a human zoo. There's a percentage of people there that are just absolute garbage.

I used to have a strong opinion that ISU absolutely should sell alcohol at the stadium. I don't care as much nowadays, for a number of reasons (don't drink as much at games, don't see ISU as having as much of a revenue crunch, etc), but I don't think it would turn the college environment into the cesspool that the NFL environment is, simply because it's a different kind of person attracted to the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron