Pollard on KXNO

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
What would Jack Trice look like with alcohol sales? It would become Kinnick Stadium II. The introduction of alcohol into that environment is a recipe for disaster and lots of complaints. I'm for the option of taking care of it in the parking lots.

People are going to drink regardless. There are plenty of people that already sneak alcohol in the games with them and go out to the tailgate lots to slam a few more beers before the 2nd half, not to mention the number of people slamming beers right before the game to keep their buzz going during the game. The stadium selling beer really won't change the atmosphere much; I just think the university is missing out on an opportunity to make money.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
What would Jack Trice look like with alcohol sales? It would become Kinnick Stadium II. The introduction of alcohol into that environment is a recipe for disaster and lots of complaints. I'm for the option of taking care of it in the parking lots.
I don't know a single person around me that doesn't drink now in the stadium. That includes cans of beer.

Last edited:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
They were still complaining when he went 8-3 a couple of times.

Three eight-win seasons and he became "ol' 8-3 Earle" in the eyes of many -- as if that type of success was a regular thing at ISU.

Even had it not been Ohio State, Earle may still have left sooner instead of later anyway thanks to that type of attitude permeating the fan base.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
Yeah I'd get PO'd if I couldn't get a drink for 4+ hours, especially if I'm watching us giving up 200 yards rushing to OSU. I work 40-60 hours during the week and would like to spend my saturday's watching football and drinking beer. Why should that be mutually exclusive?

Maybe it's just because I'm a recent college grad, and have a different mindset than some of you, but no need to pretend that we're having record ticket sales just because of the product on the field.

whYfFDU.gif

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Not mentioned yet but I liked his comment about ticket pricing. He basically said that ISU charges what we need to charge to pay the bills and we don't try to get more just because we can (like Kansas basketball does, he even mentioned them by name). Said he takes increasing ticket prices seriously and tries to make sure fans know why prices are increasing.

I've been critical of football ticket prices compared to the amount of success we've had but that was a good answer and I understand why prices are what they are.

All in all, a REALLY good interview and discussion.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Fair enough, I am not either but the two sides always butt heads in these discussions. Its just the same ole same ole from people every time this is debated.

Seriously we knew exactly where this was headed.

And for the teetotalers (jk) have you ever been to an NFL game? It's not sodom and gomorrah with people vomiting all over each other.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion

And for the teetotalers (jk) have you ever been to an NFL game? It's not sodom and gomorrah with people vomiting all over each other.

I found vomit in my seat at a Barnstormers game before, however that was there before the game started.

(Not a teetotaler, since I and my beer moved to a nearby open seat.)

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

My first Iowa Cubs game was Budweiser Night. Beer was spilled on all, and it didn't get better from there.

People are free to do what they want. It's not my thing, and it looks more pleasant to me to just stay home from the events where people are more inclined to drink heavily. That's not my world, so it's an easy choice.

ISUKing

Apr 27, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Teetotalism refers to either the practice of, or the promotion of, complete personal abstinence from alcoholic beverages. A person who practices (and possibly advocates) teetotalism is called a teetotaler (also spelled teetotaller; plural teetotalers or teetotallers) or is simply said to be teetotal.

Don't act like I'm the only one who had to look it up

secondname

Feb 7, 2014
Tailgating but not drinking is going to be hard for me. Not sure how I'm going to handle it since my family and friends like to get there really early to drink. Guess I'll be drinking a lot of Diet Pepsi.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The one thing I actually LIKE about not having beer sold in the stands is that it gives a lot of people time to sober up during the game. People that really NEED to sober up.

If drunk driving accidents increased even slightly after beer sales were approved in JT, it would be a PR fiasco.

We are a fan base that is known for and takes pride in our tailgating tradition. That includes drinking copious amounts of beer before the game. Some of the schools that have approved beer sales in the stadium are much less active while tailgating. These are fans that show up to the game and just go into the stadium. They can probably handle a few 8 dollar beers and be find going home.

You add 2, 3, or 4 beers on top of what many ISU fans drink in the parking lot pre-game, and you end up with a lot more drunk people after the game.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Teetotalism refers to either the practice of, or the promotion of, complete personal abstinence from alcoholic beverages. A person who practices (and possibly advocates) teetotalism is called a teetotaler (also spelled teetotaller; plural teetotalers or teetotallers) or is simply said to be teetotal.

Don't act like I'm the only one who had to look it up

You seriously had to look it up?

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Tailgating but not drinking is going to be hard for me. Not sure how I'm going to handle it since my family and friends like to get there really early to drink. Guess I'll be drinking a lot of Diet Pepsi.

We're not talking about tailgating. We're talking about beer sales INSIDE JT. No one will police your tailgate; you're safe! :)

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Doesn't see baseball coming back (no surprise)
Matte helmet is the only uniform change in football. Doesn't like tuning in to a game to not be able to tell who is playing.

Right...because people won't be able to tell which teams are playing from the score ticker, the markings on the field, and the announcers. Bogus argument.

Besides, sometimes it would be nice to not be recognized...

evc_20131020_Iowa_State_vs_Baylor_158661.jpg

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013

I am so sorry! I didn't even notice your name when I responded.

Yes, I remember your post...and from the sounds of it, your pledge is holding firm. Well done!

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I think he stopped drinking like a month ago.

His concern is being around so much alcohol after he stopped drinking. That's what his username is all about. He kept his secret ID confidential (and wisely so).

Thank you. It was an old lady poor observational skills thing. I appreciate the reminder, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.