Pomlee dismissed

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I'm as worried about this as I was about Clinton Mann leaving.

khess83

Jan 7, 2009
Waukee , IA
I really like Coach Mac and I desperately want him to be successful at Iowa State. But in the interest of fairness, there are two things I've observed with this year's team that are very worrysome to me, and very uncharacteristic for a McDermott coached team. I've seen these two things in most games, but they really stuck out to me during the UNI game.

1. During the pregame warmups, our guys are always messing around like they don't care. While UNI was running very disciplined pre-game drills, our guys were screwing around, having a dunking contest, and basically acting like they were bored.

2. The two things that reflect effort more than anything else in basketball are rebounding and getting after loose balls. We're not very good in either category, and we were manhandled by UNI in both.

I would love to see Mac get tough and lay down the law right now. If his days at ISU are numbered, he may as well go out on his own terms rather than trying to coddle to certain players who may deserve a good kick in the rear.

I agree it is frustrating to see the team be so laid back during warm-ups. However, Mac has stated multiple times that he has loosened the reins with this team. In the early part of the season that led to the team's "swagger" that so many people were excited to see. Now that there have been a couple of bad losses that "swagger" is gone and fans are not accepting the laid back approach. It just seems that Mac has a hard time finding the right mix of intensity and freedom.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
st8 is right in a sense. I dont care what Pomlee did. He is no longer on the team for a reason. Sounds like Pomlee is the one that needs to stay classy. If you want to be on the team.. do what is needed.. to be on the team. Period.

being right and being classy are two FAR different things. no one said st8 was wrong, he was being an *** in the way he was saying it.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I'm as worried about this as I was about Clinton Mann leaving.

The reason people are worried isn't because a bad player is leaving the team.

They are worried because our coach keeps signing these kids who aren't good enough who then transfer after a year (like Mann who you mention). That class has already been almost completely decimated by transfers. So many misses on recruits.

Reactions: cyclonenum1

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

They are worried because our coach keeps signing these kids who aren't good enough who then transfer after a year (like Mann who you mention). That class has already been almost completely decimated by transfers. So many misses on recruits.

There are about 4 teams in the country that have top 25 caliber players for every scholarship spot.

but I agree, its worrying that we aren't one of them.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
There are about 4 teams in the country that have top 25 caliber players for every scholarship spot.

but I agree, its worrying that we aren't one of them.

I see nothing wrong with how he said it. People need to quit being ****ies about everything. The pussyfication of America is alive and strong...

Reactions: CyDude16

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Bingo! I'm not worried about losing Pomlee at all because I never thought we should have even offered him to begin with. Same goes for Mann and some others.

What bothers me is that GMac brings in these guys that obviously will probably never see any significant minutes while at ISU. There had to be better options at the time than LA Pomlee IMO. His game is VERY limited... especially for the Big 12 conference.

As for the pre-game antics... this is a very fine line that GMac has to walk. It's sad, but if he's too strict with the guys in allowing them to have some fun, then he will never get the top notch recruits to come to ISU. Yes, he could recruit the same kind of talent that UNI gets and he could be like a military leader with them and he could probably go .500 every single year here. But .500 isn't good enough, and if UNI played in the Big 12.... they'd be about a .500 team folks.

If GMac took the same caliber of recruits that Jacobsen takes at UNI, and if he was really strict with them, we'd be a .500 team and EVERY single person on this site would be complaining because GMac doesn't go out and get the kind of talent needed to compete in the Big 12.

If GMac was a military type coach, do you think guys like Gilstrap and Colvin would have ever come here? My guess is that they wouldn't. So that is the fine line that GMac is walking unfortunately. Some times I wonder if GMac wishes he'd never left UNI. At UNI he could recruit exactly the type of kids you love to coach, and you could be pretty darn succesful with those kids because of the caliber of competition you're going up against.

These big time coaches these days have to cater to these big time talents. It's sad, but it's a fact of life. Look at Lickliter over at Iowa. He's a GMac clone. Came from Butler where he took mid-level talent, and very coachable kids, to the top. He comes to Iowa and finds out that you can't win in the Big 10 with Butler type talent and schemes. No big time talent wants to come play "Bulter Ball" under Lickliter. That's the fact. Lickliter is a great guy, but is more of a demanding military type leader head coach. Iowa players don't ever look like they are having any fun at all. Players like Gilstrap, Colvin, or Brackins don't want to play "Butler Ball".... that's just the way it is.

So now you can see the fine line that GMac is trying to walk. You have to let your guys have some fun, and play some NBA style up and down basketball, but you can't just let them walk all over you either. Colvin is testing GMac right now, it sounds like? He wants to see just how far he can push it with GMac. And GMac is finally saying "enough is enough". "You are a great young talent, but you are not running this ship, and you never will be running this ship.... I will."

So we shall see what comes out of this? If Colvin is willing to play under GMac's rules, he will. If not, he probably will transfer. Welcome to coaching at the Big 12 level folks. This isn't UNI or Butler... not even close.

Reactions: lakeliving

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
Wasn't Pomlee a risk of this type of situation when we signed him? IIRC, he was "good", but teams were shy of him because of this risk.

Torks Pub

Dec 16, 2006
Ankeny
Cory Johnson

On a related note, anyone see that Cory Johnson had 31 pts. the other night? He may have found his niche as we was a tweener(3 or 4) at ISU.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron