Positive thoughts

RedBlooded

Jun 11, 2010
cedar falls
Bill Snyder had plenty of 5 and 6 win seasons mixed in with occasional 10 and 11 win seasons. He had four straight 11 win seasons, followed by a 6-6 year, then went on to have two more 11 win seasons.

Some seasons are disappointing, but an 8 win season is still very possible. 8 wins would still be one of the better seasons in our history. To be consistently an 7,8,9 win program is a huge step. Eventually we will cross the 10 and 11 win threshold.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Bill Snyder had plenty of 5 and 6 win seasons mixed in with occasional 10 and 11 win seasons. He had four straight 11 win seasons, followed by a 6-6 year, then went on to have two more 11 win seasons.

Some seasons are disappointing, but an 8 win season is still very possible. 8 wins would still be one of the better seasons in our history. To be consistently an 7,8,9 win program is a huge step. Eventually we will cross the 10 and 11 win threshold.
Yep and last year was an 11 win team with a full schedule

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
Although I am slightly disappointed the team did not win as many games as I thought they were capable of winning, I am not mad or upset whatsoever. It’s not like the team is way more talented then the teams they lost to. They still have to do the little things right to come out of top versus most conference teams. I will be forever grateful for what this senior class has done for the school and am very confident in the future of the program.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Some seasons are disappointing, but an 8 win season is still very possible. 8 wins would still be one of the better seasons in our history.

I agree with the sentiment we are in a good place but it is OK to acknowledge this season is disappointing without saying "It's still pretty good since we used to suck!" No, it's just a disappointing season but we will get back on track moving forward.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

Yep. This is disappointing but I don't extrapolate anything further from this season than that it didn't work out as we'd hoped. Veteran teams can underperform, but young and inexperienced teams can overperform too. Progress is rarely linear and we're experiencing the downside of that right now.

Reactions: Peter and CyValley

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Doesn't help that of our conference games played thus far this season, 5 have been on the road and 3 have been at home. We just need to finish the last home game with a win.

Next year, the conference schedule flips to 5 home games and 4 on the road.

Jul 20, 2021
There’s so much to love with this team, they play with their heart and soul. The veterans on this team have put in the blood, sweat, and tears and have set the standard for newcomers.
They never quit, bunch of warriors! While outcomes hurt like hell, I’ve never been disappointed in this team. I appreciate the hell out these players and staff.
Let’s finish strong!

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Step 1: stop getting blown out, if you are in every game, you will win more games (duh)

Step 2: become a 6-8 win program

Step 3: get the stars to align and catch a few breaks and win 10+ games

We’ve accomplished steps 1 and 2. Last year we accomplished 3 and this year we didn’t. It happens. If we maintain steps 1 and 2 we are in a great spot going forward.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Doesn't help that of our conference games played thus far this season, 5 have been on the road and 3 have been at home. We just need to finish the last home game with a win.

I don't know about next years schedule but this season two of our losses were the second game of back to back road games.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
ISU football used to suck…. it doesn’t anymore…. that’s a fact…. and we should all appreciate that.

But that doesn’t mean this season isn’t very disappointing….. it definitely is. Having basically everyone back from a Fiesta Bowl championship, starting the season ranked 7th, and everyone on here arguing about if we would 10 or 11 games this year……. and instead we might win 6 or 7 games, finish the season not ranked, and likely go to a crap bowl…. that is disappointing folks.

I don’t care if our guys were the best versions of themselves, this season was disappointing.

There’s a big difference between sucking and being disappointing.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016

Counterpoint: we play 5 home/5 away P5 games every year against the same 10 teams.

Reactions: isutime

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
ISU football used to suck…. it doesn’t anymore…. that’s a fact…. and we should all appreciate that.

But that doesn’t mean this season isn’t very disappointing….. it definitely is. Having basically everyone back from a Fiesta Bowl championship, starting the season ranked 7th, and everyone on here arguing about if we would 10 or 11 games this year……. and instead we might win 6 or 7 games, finish the season not ranked, and likely go to a crap bowl…. that is disappointing folks.

I don’t care if our guys were the best versions of themselves, this season was disappointing.

There’s a big difference between sucking and being disappointing.

People that were arguing about whether it would be 10 or 11 wins needed to take a broader look at how the wins happened last year.

Like that McDonald strip yesterday that OU picked up and at least got out of the end zone, probably is an ISU TD last year.

I think some fundamentals have fallen off which has contributed as well, along with some players like Kene and Soehner being bigger impacts than was realized.

I DO feel better about this next week than after Tech but who knows how things will go.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

You're way off on that. Once Snyder won 9 in year 5, he won 9-11 for 8 straight years, went t 6-6 once, jumped right back up for a couple years, then declined a bit for the last 2 years of his first stint.

Once he came back, what you're describing still never happened.
It sounds nice, but he didn't go up and down like you're describing. He got it going and kept it going.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Yet campbell is in year 6 and has only one losing season. So he’s also kept it going.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Did Snyder ever have a team underachieve as bad as this one? Genuinely curious, not trying to be a tool. This was supposed to be the team to push us over that threshold and instead we'll be lucky to get 8 wins.