Possible candidates for ISU's open OC position...

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
It's not like anybody's directly quoted Mangino as saying that. It was CW on the radio saying he was told that Mangino had told someone else he wouldn't be interested.

I don't think it's Mangino at this point, but that door was never completely shut.

I believe he was actually quoted some time ago. I can't remember where, but, yes, that door is not only shut, but locked.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I would think Shane or Wally would get that title.

Usually the Assistant Head coach is a non-coordinator coach and I think it is presumed that Shane is the heir to the DC once Wally decides to retire. The Assistant Head Coach title I think will be used to entice K or Sturdy to stick around if they are not the new OC. Or it could be used to hire a higher profile outside non-OC coach to come here with K or Sturdy being the OC.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I believe he was actually quoted some time ago. I can't remember where, but, yes, that door is not only shut, but locked.

I could be wrong. The only thing I ever recall was CW saying things he'd heard second hand, and I don't remember him even saying who had actually heard that from Mangino. Like I said, it does seem unlikely.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Usually the Assistant Head coach is a non-coordinator coach and I think it is presumed that Shane is the heir to the DC once Wally decides to retire. The Assistant Head Coach title I think will be used to entice K or Sturdy to stick around if they are not the new OC. Or it could be used to hire a higher profile outside non-OC coach to come here with K or Sturdy being the OC.
I follow your logic, I thought it would go by tenure.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
May be a stupid question but what exactly does the assistant head coach do?

He assists the Head Coach :).

Seriously I think it is more a title (and higher pay) than just a position coach and would probably be acting head coach if the head coach had some illness or something like that (See Kill at Minn.) in which he couldn't actively coach for a short time.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
The only obvious conclusion from the long wait is that our new OC is still coaching. This can only mean our new OC is Gus Malzahn or Jimbo Fisher. Color me unimpressed.

cycloneSOULja

Feb 16, 2011
The only obvious conclusion from the long wait is that our new OC is still coaching. This can only mean our new OC is Gus Malzahn or Jimbo Fisher. Color me unimpressed.

If our new OC is on any of the following coaching staffs: Oklahoma State, Mizzou, Clemson, Ohio State (Herman comes back? LOLOLOLO JK), Florida State, or Auburn, it's going to be a position coach getting a huge promotion (unlikely)

Otherwise according to your theory, he is on the Vandy, Houston, Ark State, or Ball State staffs...

Vandy's is an OC/RB coach, has experience coaching QBs -> possibly
Houston's OC went to TCU so NO
Arkansas State just hired a new HC and OC so NO
Ball State: just promoted a new OC so NO

My guess: is that the OC is Coach K. They are waiting to hire the other position coaches... Some may no longer be employed by a team and are recruiting during the dead period.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
If our new OC is on any of the following coaching staffs: Oklahoma State, Mizzou, Clemson, Ohio State (Herman comes back? LOLOLOLO JK), Florida State, or Auburn, it's going to be a position coach getting a huge promotion (unlikely)

Otherwise according to your theory, he is on the Vandy, Houston, Ark State, or Ball State staffs...

Vandy's is an OC/RB coach, has experience coaching QBs -> possibly
Houston's OC went to TCU so NO
Arkansas State just hired a new HC and OC so NO
Ball State: just promoted a new OC so NO

My guess: is that the OC is Coach K. They are waiting to hire the other position coaches... Some may no longer be employed by a team and are recruiting during the dead period.

No. I assume we are getting either Malzahn or Jimbo. Not someone from their staff. One of those two will be our OC. What other explanation could there be?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Does it involve anything extra, or is it like being Assistant to the Head Coach?

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
No. I assume we are getting either Malzahn or Jimbo. Not someone from their staff. One of those two will be our OC. What other explanation could there be?

What, these guys got fired? :jimlad:

There are dozens of other explanations for the long wait for the OC hire announcement.
Pick any one besides the one you're offering.:wacko:

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

Rhoads said mid-January is the target hire date. Its January 3rd.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
So with Texas losing most of there coaches due to the coaching change, really wonder what the chance would be that we could get a name like Major Applewhite.