PREDICTIONS: Iowa State at Texas

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Texas by 20.

I keed.

I haven't had a very good feeling about this game all season, that hasn't changed.

Texas isn't good, but if their talent 'clicks' it's a very tough game for ISU to win.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Last games in Austin for ISU

2016: L 94-91 in OT
2015: W 85-77
2014: L 86-76
2013: L 89-86 in 2OT
2012: L 62-55
2011: L 76-53

We rarely win there. Gonna be tough
This, plus they aren't really that bad they just are young. I think we lose by around 5. Hopefully we can take the momentum and win though.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Texas by 20.

I keed.

I haven't had a very good feeling about this game all season, that hasn't changed.

Texas isn't good, but if their talent 'clicks' it's a very tough game for ISU to win.

They are very, very talented, but young. Their record isn't good, but they're not a bad team by any stretch. It's just a really tough year to be so young in this league.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Kind of surprised to see so many taking Texas, in a game we're favored, no less. Guess I should just expect it from this crowd by now.

ISU 79
Texas 70

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
They are very, very talented, but young. Their record isn't good, but they're not a bad team by any stretch. It's just a really tough year to be so young in this league.

Yep, OU is going to be a hard game too.

OU/TX was a really entertaining game. Plenty of basketball talent on the floor.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Im going with 75-68 Cyclones. Isn't their leading scorer Mack still out for this one? This is game we must have if we want to finish in the top 4.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Kind of surprised to see so many taking Texas, in a game we're favored, no less. Guess I should just expect it from this crowd by now.

ISU 79
Texas 70
It's a road game and Texas is capable of playing pretty darn good down there.
I predict that if we make 18 threes we will win by 8+ points.

• Funny
Reactions: SCyclone

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Im going with 75-68 Cyclones. Isn't their leading scorer Mack still out for this one? This is game we must have if we want to finish in the top 4.

I haven't seen his name on the last few box scores. I know he was "suspended indefinitely" shortly after playing us.

Roach was the one that was hot against us last time. Their team is young and talented, but still raw. They made a ton of stupid turnovers versus us at Hilton and that was really the difference in the game.

I'm leery about getting too optimistic for this game. We're not going to shoot as well, and I could see it leading to a lot of standing around on offense looking for someone to catch fire. If we bring good defensive intensity and get some easy transition points, we win 72-69. If we forget to move the ball and keep launching threes that aren't falling, I could see us lose 66-71.

Last edited:

niangstermvp

Mar 1, 2014
Did ISU turn the corner on Saturday? We're going to find out. From a betting angle would not touch this game with a 10' pole. KU looked exhausted last night vs KSU albeit ISU has one more day of rest. Go clones.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I think this years team really likes playing on the road. I think Hilton has put a lot of pressure on these guys this year and they hear the rumblings.
Did ISU turn the corner on Saturday? We're going to find out. From a betting angle would not touch this game with a 10' pole. KU looked exhausted last night vs KSU albeit ISU has one more day of rest. Go clones.

I think KU is mentally exhausted as well. They have a lot going on in that program right now.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
It's a road game and Texas is capable of playing pretty darn good down there.
I predict that if we make 18 threes we will win by 8+ points.

Yeah, and we just showed we can go on the road in one of the most difficult places to win & get the job done. You can mention 18 threes, I can mention 3 first half rebounds. I'd bet a large sum that neither happen again this year.

I'm not guaranteeing a win or anything, but if people aren't predicting a win tonight I guess they won't be predicting any other road wins either? You can list results from the last 5 years all you want, but this Texas team isn't that good. This is one of the most winnable games we have left on the road.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Naz, Monte and Burton shot amazing from 3 last game. That usually evens out the next game. Law of averages say we shoot poorly.
Fair point I doubt all three will shoot that way, but one or two of those guys can easily carry the hot streak past one game.
That and I don't expect Matty Ice to shoot as poorly as on Saturday, plus I think Donovan is shooting better from outside will keep ISU dangerous from deep.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Yeah, and we just showed we can go on the road in one of the most difficult places to win & get the job done. You can mention 18 threes, I can mention 3 first half rebounds. I'd bet a large sum that neither happen again this year.

I'm not guaranteeing a win or anything, but if people aren't predicting a win tonight I guess they won't be predicting any other road wins either? You can list results from the last 5 years all you want, but this Texas team isn't that good. This is one of the most winnable games we have left on the road.
1) I was being silly about the 18 threes.
2) I didn't say the game wasn't winnable.
3) We could have a letdown after the big win.
4) It's a road game.
5) We could ride a tidal wave of positive energy from our win and win easily.
6) We could win just because we are better. We ARE better.
7) I have and will not predict a road win in this year's Big 12 no matter who we play. That doesn't mean I wouldn't expect to win some along the way. I just don't have a feel for which one it will be. I predicted losses to OU and OSU so far and it took a miracle to beat crappy OU.
8) I never watch road games live but I will tonight.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Can't give one back after a monster win on Saturday. I like Matt Thomas to bounce back with a good shooting night and Donovan Jackson to continue to become a bigger part of the offense. We'll miss Monte next year, but I'm kind of excited to see what a Wigginton/DJ back court can do. Anyway, tonight's game...Cyclones keep the momentum going:

ISU - 81
Texa$ - 76

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The game may have is ebbs and flows, but this is one that Iowa State should win by 15 because of Shaka being forced to foul late in the game.

Iowa Stat 85-70.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
1) I was being silly about the 18 threes.
2) I didn't say the game wasn't winnable.
3) We could have a letdown after the big win.
4) It's a road game.
5) We could ride a tidal wave of positive energy from our win and win easily.
6) We could win just because we are better. We ARE better.
7) I have and will not predict a road win in this year's Big 12 no matter who we play. That doesn't mean I wouldn't expect to win some along the way. I just don't have a feel for which one it will be. I predicted losses to OU and OSU so far and it took a miracle to beat crappy OU.
8) I never watch road games live but I will tonight.
1) I'm glad you were being silly, I was just pointing out that single outlier stats can be taken from both sides.
2) I didn't say you said it wasn't winnable. Just like I'm not saying it's impossible to lose.
3) We definitely could have a letdown. I think this is less likely than your #5, though
4) Home Big 12 record: 3-2
Road Big 12 record: 3-2
5) More likely than your #3, IMO
6) Agree, which is part of why I'm confused with so many fans predicting we'll lose this one.
7) Predicting losses in every road game but expecting to win some doesn't make sense to me. I get not knowing which ones we'll win, but I don't get why that defaults to a prediction of LOSS for every game. Logic to me would say you predict wins over the worst teams on the schedule?
8) Enjoy the game. I'd prefer it to go like the home game against Texas which felt like we were in control the whole game, but I'm not counting on it. Most likely another tight one that takes years off cyclone fans' lives.

Again, I'm not saying people can't predict us to lose. It is possible. I'm just struggling to see how that's deemed the most likely outcome by so many here, all things considered.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron