PREDICTIONS: Iowa State at West Virginia

JJIII

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 24, 2017
I really enjoy Jay's insights on the day after write ups, but I really want to know what made him pick a 45-20 game.

Hopefully he knows something that others don't!

31-27 ISU.
These are guesses on their best day. Mine are no different, but occassionally you see something that you latch on to. WVU is an impatient team. Neither Grier or Holgersen or Spavital are take the air out of the ball guys. Even TCU couldn't be patient enough against this defense.

Grier will hit some plays and they will run the ball better than we would like. But without a blocked punt and interception they are beaten 50-14 by Okie State. ISU poses a more difficult task than OSU did.

On offense, the WVU defense is undisciplined and uncommitted. That combination against David Montgomery just does not work, see Texas Tech. ISU can control the game on the ground and in the horizontal passing game. WVU does not have the ability to contain for 4 quarters like TCU did. That takes possessions away from WVU and ends up in touchdowns for ISU.

Bottom line, it is a bad matchup for WVU. Absent uncharacteristic play from both teams, this is a decisive ISU advantage.

Just my guess and opinion. WVU hitting big plays and being a problem would not be surprising. I am just more than 50% convinced that the problem is in WVU's court.

Reactions: Georgia Cyclone

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
The Vegas line scares me because it seems like ISU should be a popular bet among the general public at +3. That concerns me.

WVU 24 ISU 17.

• Dislike
Reactions: harimad

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
These are guesses on their best day. Mine are no different, but occassionally you see something that you latch on to. WVU is an impatient team. Neither Grier or Holgersen or Spavital are take the air out of the ball guys. Even TCU couldn't be patient enough against this defense.

Grier will hit some plays and they will run the ball better than we would like. But without a blocked punt and interception they are beaten 50-14 by Okie State. ISU poses a more difficult task than OSU did.

On offense, the WVU defense is undisciplined and uncommitted. That combination against David Montgomery just does not work, see Texas Tech. ISU can control the game on the ground and in the horizontal passing game. WVU does not have the ability to contain for 4 quarters like TCU did. That takes possessions away from WVU and ends up in touchdowns for ISU.

Bottom line, it is a bad matchup for WVU. Absent uncharacteristic play from both teams, this is a decisive ISU advantage.

Just my guess and opinion. WVU hitting big plays and being a problem would not be surprising. I am just more than 50% convinced that the problem is in WVU's court.
Good insight and explanation. I appreciate that.

I don't think anything would surprise me.

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Wade Boggs is a Cyclone fan and had at least 12 in the 4th qtr last weekend...

dc5Ddl4KD_m2cp9pYCBhYjZOKRs=.gif

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Kirk Kirk Kirk...let's correct you on your saying you are "rolling" with your CFB Analytics machine this year. You are "continually getting burned" by that dumpster fire of a machine you use to predict games.
Fess up...you actually call David Ortiz and his brilliant ability to predict games to get you your prognostications on the Cyclones.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
ISU runs that ball well and wins 35-17. ISU doesn't run the ball well maybe wins 24-20.

What I'm most intrigued by is how WVU deals with ISU's D. WVU also runs a similar front and drops guys, and the offense sees that frequently in practice.

FredCyclone

Sep 30, 2017
WVU, has not lost back to back games in Two years. Also all their loses this year, have come to ranked teams. The bad weather, on the road, with a motivated WVU is going to be tough. This team has already exceeded expectations, anything after this is Frosting.

• Disagree
Reactions: IASTATE07

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Iowa State has been dictating terms of every game since Texas. You can run or pass for 4 yards but if you get behind the sticks you are not going deep. Are you willing to do that for 60 mins? Does WVU have the conviction to run/pass for only 4 yard chunks? History says not.

On the offense, ISU has shown they are willing to take those 4 yard chunks at a time. This team has been beating teams by their will and other team's lack of conviction.

FredCyclone

Sep 30, 2017
If you watch the TTU and TCU game again, those games were far from perfect, inspite of that we won. Even the coach mentioned, how the team did not perform to its full potential. It drove me nutz when the offense could not score in the TCU game after the interception by the defense at the goal line and running it back to the 30 yard line of the opponent.

It could all be different and the team performs on all phases of the game and just steamrolls WVU, otherwise our average performances are going to catch up at some point.

But who cares we are going to a Bowl game this year, YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Georgia Cyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 24, 2016
Atlanta area
Iowa State's was been playing great defense and as the saying goes...defense wins championships. Iowa State 31 West Virginia 20.

I badly want to see Iowa State play in the Big 12 championship game.

• Agree
Reactions: IASTATE07

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
There is no bad weather in the forecast. It will be 60 and cloudy. Very small chance for rain.

The line is up to -3.5 WV, which seems off. And that scares me.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored