Principal Financial-Remote work

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
Forcing in person work is the epitome of bad management. Some people need 100% in office. Some people need 100% remote. Others do well with various forms of a hybrid set up. Anyone that argues for an organizational approach is stupid. Good managers should be making case by case decisions. If a manager isn’t able to do that they aren’t a very good manager.
This is what I have been saying!

They are just trying to blanket everyone, and that shouldn't be the case. If I were forced back to the office, I would literally go in and sit by myself with none of my team and just be on Teams calls all day with people across the country/world. I wouldn't know anyone in the building.

now, If I were a helpdesk technician or someone who deals with customers, etc., I would expect to be in the office.

I can tell you one thing for sure, though— If this happens, my actual work day will become a lot shorter.
I probably work way more than I should remotely currently. In the office, I will just pack up and leave at 4.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
The problem is most companies sign 20-30 year leases so they're stuck with office space (unless they want to break said lease).

In my previous role, the company had just built a brand new building before/during the pandemic and were forcing people to go back in so they could prove it was worth it. When I traveled there twice I spent the entire time on conference calls with people in other locations.

I don't think that's true. I worked for a commercial real estate company a couple years ago, very few leased for longer than 10 years - most were between 5-10. Obviously that's just the DSM metro, but google seems to agree.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
DSM gave Maverick an annual payout for having people downtown 3 days a week.

I expect the payout for AEL to be FAR bigger as they are 2-3x the size.

This is a massive win for downtown businesses who are really struggling with WFH

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

This is a massive win for downtown businesses who are really struggling with WFH

I’m sure those companies will be passing down those payouts to their employees! In the current climate of inflation coupled with greedflation you’re just going to get a bunch of pissed off people that have to drive downtown every day causing them to have even less money in their pocket and paying a big time cost.

Reactions: cowgirl836

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston

I assumed Brookfield owned buildings downtown and that is why AEL will move there eventually.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

I'm downtown 1 day a week and there's plenty of people around. All of the lunch places seem to be fairly busy. I don't think they are doing too bad.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I don't think that's true. I worked for a commercial real estate company a couple years ago, very few leased for longer than 10 years - most were between 5-10. Obviously that's just the DSM metro, but google seems to agree.
I work in commercial real estate on the east coast and I'd say it's more like 3 to 5 year leases from what I've seen and there's a lottt of totally empty commercial space

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron