Principal Financial-Remote work

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
where-can-i-apply-v0-g9pxxfo6oruc1.png

If "family" was mixed in this would be a good reflection of my career.

Reactions: cowgirl836

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
this did get me thinking about the paycut i'd be comfortable with if my employer allowed me to WFH full time

personally, if my employer said they'd pay me $5k less but i get to WFH 100%, i'd probably take that

Totally if you do the math on the tangibles and then place a value on your time and your self worth you would probably get there pretty quickly.

Reactions: Messi

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
DMR has an article on American Equity and they will be moving from WDM to Downtown DSM in 2025. It talks about a return to the office for their staff before and with the move.

• Informative
Reactions: MJ29

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
Federal government says hold my beer..

Sens. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, and Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., introduced the Back to Work Act (S. 4266) on Tuesday.

https://www.govexec.com/workforce/2...legislation-could-imperil-remote-work/396417/

Manchin specifically targeted remote work as something that “hinders” productivity in the federal workplace in a statement endorsing the bill.

I can think about 100 other things to focus on in the federal government right now...

Cyballz

Aug 20, 2009

Sens. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, and Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., introduced the Back to Work Act (S. 4266) on Tuesday.

https://www.govexec.com/workforce/2...legislation-could-imperil-remote-work/396417/

Manchin specifically targeted remote work as something that “hinders” productivity in the federal workplace in a statement endorsing the bill.

I can think about 100 other things to focus on in the federal government right now...
Let's pass more laws that increase costs and then ***** and moan about the deficit!!

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

To be clear, it only applies to Federal workers. Though still ******* stupid.

The latest bipartisan bill attempting to curb the use of telework in the federal government would require federal workers to spend at least 60% of their work hours on in-person work, though it could also ban remote work arrangements in most cases.

Sens. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, and Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., introduced the Back to Work Act (S. 4266) on Tuesday. The legislation limits telework usage to 40% of the work days in any given pay period, with exceptions in cases where the employee is a military or federal law enforcement spouse or if a federal position requires “highly specialized expertise,” frequent travel or difficult to recruit for.

• Puke
Reactions: carvers4math

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines

The latest bipartisan bill attempting to curb the use of telework in the federal government would require federal workers to spend at least 60% of their work hours on in-person work, though it could also ban remote work arrangements in most cases.

Sens. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, and Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., introduced the Back to Work Act (S. 4266) on Tuesday. The legislation limits telework usage to 40% of the work days in any given pay period, with exceptions in cases where the employee is a military or federal law enforcement spouse or if a federal position requires “highly specialized expertise,” frequent travel or difficult to recruit for.

yeah, should have disclaimered that. its only for federal workers, but when the federal government caves, then you know its only a matter of time for everything to crash.

nothing has passed yet, but it seems to be gaining steam.

Reactions: Jer

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

I say this with all the bipartisanship I can muster - but what the **** would these guys know about workplace productivity?!

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Forcing in person work is the epitome of bad management. Some people need 100% in office. Some people need 100% remote. Others do well with various forms of a hybrid set up. Anyone that argues for an organizational approach is stupid. Good managers should be making case by case decisions. If a manager isn’t able to do that they aren’t a very good manager.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

Another make work project.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Forcing in person work is the epitome of bad management. Some people need 100% in office. Some people need 100% remote. Others do well with various forms of a hybrid set up. Anyone that argues for an organizational approach is stupid. Good managers should be making case by case decisions. If a manager isn’t able to do that they aren’t a very good manager.

It still boggles my mind that companies aren't excited over the fact they can save costs through needing less office space. Like, don't companies love trying to push costs on to other people?

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
It still boggles my mind that companies aren't excited over the fact they can save costs through needing less office space. Like, don't companies love trying to push costs on to other people?
Companies love control. And abosolute control is always the preferred method. If it cost more but I control it, control is the answer.

By the way, companies = the mega wealthy. So yeah, the mega wealthy loves control. And yes I am aware the public companies have shareholders. I am also aware that their are mega shareholders that control those companies.

Reactions: drmwevr08

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
DMR has an article on American Equity and they will be moving from WDM to Downtown DSM in 2025. It talks about a return to the office for their staff before and with the move.
That will suck a lot for anyone in the west burbs who also works home some.
Move office into the teeth of the longest commute + make people do it everyday.

ackatch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 22, 2021
Waukee
The problem is most companies sign 20-30 year leases so they're stuck with office space (unless they want to break said lease).

In my previous role, the company had just built a brand new building before/during the pandemic and were forcing people to go back in so they could prove it was worth it. When I traveled there twice I spent the entire time on conference calls with people in other locations.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

They have to justify jobs for political hacks they put in middle management.

One of my engineer sons has never had enough desks at his job for him to be there all the time anyway. They bought another building that was two miles away from the main plant, where all the physical parts he managed were, so with his desk two miles away, didn’t really matter if he was at work or at home. They finally moved some production to the building his desk is in, but they also moved more people, so he now his desk is reunited with the physical parts he needs to look at but he has to desk share with another engineer anyway. They just kind of work out together who really needs to be in plant on a certain day.

They are a government contractor. Not sure if this dumb legislation would apply to contractors but it would cost a ton if it does.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron