Principal Financial-Remote work

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Since we are hashing restaurant news.

Our location closed suddenly a week or so ago. But this line struck me in the article

Red Lobster said it has assets and liabilities of between $1 billion and $10 billion

That’s a pretty big range. I get that this is a large company with lots of locations, but could they narrow it down a bit more than that?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
We're pretty far afield from "Principal Financial-Remote Work" but this topic is interesting to me, so what the hell...

How does Five Guys stay in business? I get they are offering the premium product at the premium price, as in your example. But holy hell. The last time we went, it was $70 for our family of four (which includes two kids). For burgers, hot dogs, and fries. Yes, it's good. Yes, I'd much rather go there than a McD's. But that premium seems awfully high for this product category.

Obviously I'm missing something because they seem to be doing just fine. But we haven't gone back because of the shock of the price from last time.

Because 5 Guys is ******* Awesome!!

• Haha
Reactions: shadow

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I went to Five Guys im WDM once near when it first opened. Terrible service, people not getting their food, including us. I haven't been back since.

I go there so much the lady running the cash register knows my order when I walk in.

Reactions: shadow

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Is it? It's definitely not bad, by any stretch, but is it head and shoulders better than other options out there? You can definitely get a good burger at 5 guys, but in my opinion, it doesn't separate itself much.

Yes. Double fresh patty's and pretty much unlimited toppings including A1!!

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
A poor persons idea of good seafood
Red Lobster is straight trash.

You know when you go to a smokers home, and everything has that thin layer of nicotine on everything? Red Lobster is like that, but with grease. Blech. Yet it pretends to be upscale.

I'd rather go to LJS, at least there you know what to expect - the worlds longest consecutive streak of not changing the fryer oil...

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Red Lobster is straight trash.

You know when you go to a smokers home, and everything has that thin layer of nicotine on everything? Red Lobster is like that, but with grease. Blech. Yet it pretends to be upscale.

I'd rather go to LJS, at least there you know what to expect - the worlds longest consecutive streak of not changing the fryer oil...

It does? News to me. It's level has been on par with Applebees and the like.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Yeah, it's by no means bad. I just think contemporaries like Culver's and Freddy's provide a product of similar quality.
Cafe B has a sneaky good burger:
medium

Beaudelaire Bauru​

Our signature sandwich: Freshly baked wheat bread with Mayo, Tomatoes, Lettuce, Onions, Peas, Corn, Fried Egg, Ham, Mozzarella, and your choice of patty (Beef or Chicken). Add Fries

TBT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 27, 2014
WDM, IA
Cafe B has a sneaky good burger:
medium

Beaudelaire Bauru​

Our signature sandwich: Freshly baked wheat bread with Mayo, Tomatoes, Lettuce, Onions, Peas, Corn, Fried Egg, Ham, Mozzarella, and your choice of patty (Beef or Chicken). Add Fries

My go-to, I usually get it once a year, with a Long Island, though can't pack those down like I used to.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
What if they started paying their employees 50% more and the cost of the products increased 20%? They're still supposed to keep the same price from 5 years ago?

Have your fees stayed the same the last five years?

They haven't yet!!! :)

There was a restaurant in the small town I live in. It was a staple of the town. However, they up and bailed under cover of night so they could open a spot in Ankeny.

A few months later, they did a series of FB posts about how they were on the brink of failure. They were pleading with anyone and everyone to come eat at their new location just so they could keep the doors open. They didn't necessarily blame anyone, but they did not look inward, either. I told my wife "they're going to fail." Begging people on FB to come buy your food is not a long-term business strategy; it's a band-aid. Make a product people are willing to pay for if you want to survive. The google reviews of their Ankeny location were repeatedly "this is very expensive for the quality and quantity you get." They made it about another week after their desperation post before they closed for good.

Wondering which restaurant you're referencing?

Help Support Us

Become a patron