Pro Iowa Soccer - Krause Development

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Probably better de-toxify the area first. I haven't seen any real info on what, if anything, has been done to date.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
generally speaking I'm not a fan of publicly funded pro sport arenas

Agreed. However that contribution is about 5% of the estimated cost of the total project. The land currently is a toxic waste site. They plan would not only clean up the city image but take a current liability and potentially turn it into a tax producing asset on top of the social/environmental benefits. I'm not a huge soccer nut myself but I'd be more interested in that vs a baseball game. Plus the desire to clean up that area is a plus for me. I'm definitely interested in learning more about the project.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Agreed. However that contribution is about 5% of the estimated cost of the total project. The land currently is a toxic waste site. They plan would not only clean up the city image but take a current liability and potentially turn it into a tax producing asset on top of the social/environmental benefits. I'm not a huge soccer nut myself but I'd be more interested in that vs a baseball game. Plus the desire to clean up that area is a plus for me. I'm definitely interested in learning more about the project.

well that's just it, it's probably not going to be a tax producing asset because I'd be stunned if there are many decades worth of property tax abatements included.

Still, if "only" 5% that the gov't is paying for, it's not that big of a deal

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
This is going to be built on the chemical dump so Im ok with using the sales tax and hotel tax to help fund it.
Yeah I'm not real big on publicly funded sports stadiums, but I think both this one and the hockey one are going to be worthwhile. Especially when the alternative is to just spend the money on crappier projects. Both are going to take and repurpose bad sites.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

There's also a good deal more to this plan than just the stadium that should be a benefit. That's what tips it into being more beneficial for me.

The plan includes:

• Three retail/office buildings, a three-story entertainment venue and a 1,100-stall parking ramp east of the stadium and west of Southwest 14th Street.
  • Four apartment buildings with more than 500 units and a retail/office building east of Southwest 14th Street.
  • Three apartment buildings with 159 units and retail space, as well as a 150-stall underground parking garage in the blocks bounded by 15th and 16th streets and Grand and Ingersoll avenues.
  • A 125-room hotel, four apartment buildings with 208 units and retail space, two office buildings, a restaurant and underground parking in the blocks bounded by 15th and 17th streets, Ingersoll Avenue and High Street.

When theyre talking half a billion in projects, there's a lot of ROI there

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I could be way off and I know soccer is growing but realistically how many Iowans are going to pay to watch professional soccer?

not many, especially when it's not even at the MLS level where you can talk yourself in to being able to fill a stadium when the team is good.

We're close enough to KC that anyone who wants to watch pro soccer in a good environment can just go there.

My assumption is the soccer stadium is kind of the novelty item that gets headlines but the real money is in whatever is being built along with it.

Reactions: CyDude16

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
There's also a good deal more to this plan than just the stadium that should be a benefit. That's what tips it into being more beneficial for me.

The plan includes:

When theyre talking half a billion in projects, there's a lot of ROI there

cause professional teams and developers never lie about the ROI. Lol

• Dumb
Reactions: jcisuclones and jmb

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I guess I don't get the doubts about attendance. I assume it'll be as good or better then a MiLB team. I don't know any numbers but there are probably more kids in soccer than baseball. It would be a fun day out for the family just like an I-Cubs game.

My son is 10 and plays both soccer and baseball and baseball numbers blows soccer out of the water. Like it's not even close.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cytown12

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
not many, especially when it's not even at the MLS level where you can talk yourself in to being able to fill a stadium when the team is good.

We're close enough to KC that anyone who wants to watch pro soccer in a good environment can just go there.

My assumption is the soccer stadium is kind of the novelty item that gets headlines but the real money is in whatever is being built along with it.

When you look at KC and see the investment that community has put into soccer it really is quite remarkable. Sporting KC gives back a lot of time to the community and they have made an incredible influence on the sport among KC youth. Kansas City doesn't have the facilities they have without Sporting KC. If DSM can get 1/3 of the response that Sporting KC has it will be a big win for the metro.

Cyrock18

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2020

The drive to children’s mercy park is 3 hours, I’d much rather catch a game or 2 there a year and watch more at a place that I don’t need to worry about lodging or driving late into the night. Then you can just head over into downtown right after too. The reason Iowa State has had such a great tailgating experience and fan attendance even when we were terrible is because there aren’t that many entertainment options around. Even if I wasn’t a huge Iowa state fan I’d rather drive 30 minutes to watch Iowa state on most weekends than spend the time and money it would take to go to Vikings/Chiefs/Bears/Packers games. Pretty much everyone I’ve talked to about this is pretty excited for it. Des Moines is growing and soccer is growing rapidly with younger people, I think the attendance will surprise some.