Pro Iowa Soccer - Krause Development

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Prior to the new Rangers stadium I don’t think a non-expansion/moved team had built a new stadium since the Brewers.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but there have been several teams build new stadiums since the Brewers park opened in 2001.

• Winner
Reactions: Macloney

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
generally speaking I'm not a fan of publicly funded pro sport arenas

Agreed. Ask St Louis how that turned out with the Rams. They were on the hook for $280 mil when they build the Edward Jones dome in 1995 and still owed $100 mil on it in 2015 (2017 article is my reference) I don't blame Oakland for not wanting to fund new stadiums for the Raiders and A's either. I don't see how this is going to be popular in Iowa either. This is just me but I would much rather catch an I-Cubs, Barnstormers, Wolves, or even a hockey game in person before I would ever pay money to see a soccer game and probably could find a lot of other non-sports events like concerts that would make that list too over a pro soccer game.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
MLB has been around in some form for over 100 years…so we’re not exactly comparing apples to apples here. Baseball is dying at the spectator level, soccer is growing in spectator viability. Every MLS team is going to have a new state of the art stadium as soon as the Revs get out of Foxboro and Galaxy build a new stadium. Prior to the new Rangers stadium I don’t think a non-expansion/moved team had built a new stadium since the Brewers.

Sure, the leagues have different history. So what? The question is how will a AAA soccer team draw in Des Moinew. I would guess quite a bit less than AAA baseball draws in Des Moines.

And the attendance numbers certainly don't back up MLS anywhere close to MLB at this point. From Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer_attendance

For 2019 MLB was drawing 28k per game to 21k for MLS. But when you look at the number of teams and games that gap explodes with total annual attendance of 68M for MLB to 8M for MLS. Attendance was down slightly for both leagues over the prior year.

Reactions: CYdTracked

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
The DICO site where this is being built has limited uses due to it being an EPA site.. So I'm ok with my tax dollars cleaning up a massive eyesore for our capital city.

The surrounding development plans that Kyle Krause has proposed is quite spectacular. If 75% of it gets built. This is a massive win in my book

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
MLB has been around in some form for over 100 years…so we’re not exactly comparing apples to apples here. Baseball is dying at the spectator level, soccer is growing in spectator viability. Every MLS team is going to have a new state of the art stadium as soon as the Revs get out of Foxboro and Galaxy build a new stadium. Prior to the new Rangers stadium I don’t think a non-expansion/moved team had built a new stadium since the Brewers.

MLB average attendance in 2019 = 28,300
MLS average attendance in 2019 = 20,300

That's either pretty embarrassing for MLB or people saying MLS is some scrub minor league offering that's light years behind MLB don't have much of a clue.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Show me some real statistics on attendance numbers between baseball and soccer in the US on a professional and minors leagues then we can talk. Attendance may be on the decline for baseball but their attendance numbers and financials I would guess still kick the crap out of soccer. Even the casual fan is still going to take their kids to a minor league game and buy a hot dog and popcorn before they would a soccer game.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tri4Cy and dosry5

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Agreed. Ask St Louis how that turned out with the Rams. They were on the hook for $280 mil when they build the Edward Jones dome in 1995 and still owed $100 mil on it in 2015 (2017 article is my reference) I don't blame Oakland for not wanting to fund new stadiums for the Raiders and A's either. I don't see how this is going to be popular in Iowa either. This is just me but I would much rather catch an I-Cubs, Barnstormers, Wolves, or even a hockey game in person before I would ever pay money to see a soccer game and probably could find a lot of other non-sports events like concerts that would make that list too over a pro soccer game.
Yes, it’s just you. The anti soccer dip ***** can stfu with their opinions.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but there have been several teams build new stadiums since the Brewers park opened in 2001.

Yeah, that isn't even close to true.

https://ballparkdigest.com/2017/03/31/mlb-ballparks-from-oldest-to-newest/

11 stadiums have opened since the Brewers stadium opened in 2001. And Pittsburgh opened a new stadium that same year in 2001. There were 3 new parks opened in 2000. That gives you 16 teams opening new parks since 2000, half of the teams in MLB.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Yes, it’s just you. The anti soccer dip ***** can stfu with their opinions.
This actually makes my point. Soccer fans are so in your face about 'you should like the world's game!' to a level where I don't see any fans of hockey, lacrosse, or other sports do this ever - anywhere. Why do soccer fans do this?

Soccer in Iowa (i'm sorry) is like putting a vegan grocery store in Lincoln Nebraska. It's forcing it.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I'd go to pro soccer, would never use my own money to go to I-Cubs, Barnstormers, or Wolves. I'd rather pay more for better seats at ISU than go to minor league football or basketball in addition. I'd rather mow my lawn with scissors than watch baseball. I guess we cancel each other out.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Show me some real statistics on attendance numbers between baseball and soccer in the US on a professional and minors leagues then we can talk. Attendance may be on the decline for baseball but their attendance numbers and financials I would guess still kick the crap out of soccer. Even the casual fan is still going to take their kids to a minor league game and buy a hot dog and popcorn before they would a soccer game.

You'd be wrong. In 2019 the LA Dodgers were the top drawing MLB club averaging 49k per game. Atlanta United FC in the MLS averaged 52.5k per game.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
This actually makes my point. Soccer fans are so in your face about 'you should like the world's game!' to a level where I don't see any fans of hockey, lacrosse, or other sports do this ever - anywhere. Why do soccer fans do this?

Soccer in Iowa (i'm sorry) is like putting a vegan grocery store in Lincoln Nebraska. It's forcing it.
I dont give a **** about whether mouth breathers like soccer or not. Just keep your hillbilly opinions about soccer out of a soccer theead.

• Dislike
Reactions: BigCyFan

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
You'd be wrong. In 2019 the LA Dodgers were the top drawing MLB club averaging 49k per game. Atlanta United FC in the MLS averaged 52.5k per game.
I agree the MLS can overtake baseball.

At that point it will still be below the pecking order of: NFL, College FBall, College Hoops, the NBA, the NHL.

royhobbs09

Apr 11, 2006
MLB average attendance in 2019 = 28,300
MLS average attendance in 2019 = 20,300

That's either pretty embarrassing for MLB or people saying MLS is some scrub minor league offering that's light years behind MLB don't have much of a clue.

Not saying this development is a bad thing. But, your attendance comparison is comparing 162 games/year versus 34 matches/year.

In any event, why does soccer versus baseball versus basketball always have to turn into a pissing contest? Can't we all like multiple sports and/or let people enjoy their own preferences? Any active team sport is a lot better than the real future of our children -- e-sports.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Not saying this development is a bad thing. But, your attendance comparison is comparing 162 games/year versus 34 matches/year.

In any event, why does soccer versus baseball versus basketball always have to turn into a pissing contest? Can't we all like multiple sports and/or let people enjoy their own preferences? Any active team sport is a lot better than the real future of our children -- e-sports.

Totally agree. The baseball guys get threatened.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

And I would bet you the Dodgers easily made more money if you compared their financials. Attendance is not the only thing that drives revenue

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
And I would bet you the Dodgers easily made more money if you compared their Financials. Attendance is not the only thing that drives revenue

You're probably right on financials. But you said attendance as well in your earlier post.