Prohm Defenders

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
View attachment 79867

Since Cycl1 just mentioned that the trend is going down under Prohm I thought I'd put this graph image here that I put in a different thread last season.
It shows the AP ranking of ISU every week since he took over a preseason top 10 program.

What are the odds that we fight our way in to the top 25 this year? It would have to be pretty dang steep odds for me to lay any money on us to do that.

By my quick count, if you throw out Prohm's first year where he was handed a stacked roster (by ISU standards), we've been in the top 25 a total of 13 weeks across 4+ years. That's less than 15% of the time. If we don't sniff it this year then that will be 2 full seasons in a row and 3 of the last 4 never being ranked.

Very sobering graph to say the least but the argument for throwing out a year or two of anyone’s career is flawed. You can’t simply discount prohms job over that time period (don’t take this as me backing up Prohm either because I’m not).

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Very sobering graph to say the least but the argument for throwing out a year or two of anyone’s career is flawed. You can’t simply discount prohms job over that time period (don’t take this as me backing up Prohm either because I’m not).
Sure, but prohm defenders have spent years blaming prohms third year slump on Fred not having a strong recruiting class for that year. Ao if defenders can throw out prohms bad year and blame freds lack of recruiting, then why cant we discount the years fred left him with a preseason top 10 team? Not many coaches get to walk into a stacked roster like prohm did.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Nothing Prohm has shown me makes me think he can fix this, but it comes down to finances. It is more important to retain Campbell and his staff than it is to fire Steve; if you can do both, then great.
So if Campbell doesn't get a big payday for he and his staff - he leaves? Really? Didn't think he was that kind of guy.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Coaching wise I think year 3 was his best year. I still think he should have gotten better replacements that year but for that I give him a fair amount of leeway. I think they overachieved a little bit that year based on talent. That said we haven’t seen any of the evidence we saw that year since. That year they weren’t very good but they played as a team. We haven’t seen them really play as a team since then.

He actually had some young talent that year that at times competed and looked pretty good. Wigginton and Lard complimented one another very well at times.

Issue being there's not much for long-term impact there from either one, obviously.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
I acknowledge where the program sits. But do the same points need to be debated over and over all season? I know, I don't have to read it, but it's in every mbb thread. In-game, post-game, recruiting, etc, all turn into "Prohm sucks." I get it. Wish we could just let the season play out.

Reactions: Cyclad

CaptivaCyGuy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 20, 2017
Sorry, I haven't read all the posts so this might be redundant. I met my first in person Prohm defender recently. Although he made some valid points all I could keep thinking was we are on the verge of our 3rd losing season in the last 4 seasons. I just can't believe this acceptable or that it should be acceptable no matter the reasons. Results have to matter.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Sure, but prohm defenders have spent years blaming prohms third year slump on Fred not having a strong recruiting class for that year. Ao if defenders can throw out prohms bad year and blame freds lack of recruiting, then why cant we discount the years fred left him with a preseason top 10 team? Not many coaches get to walk into a stacked roster like prohm did.
exactly Prohm was handed the keys to a Corvette and came back in a Chevette as of now.. where as Campbell was given a Cavalier and is now driving a Camaro..

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
View attachment 79867

Since Cycl1 just mentioned that the trend is going down under Prohm I thought I'd put this graph image here that I put in a different thread last season.
It shows the AP ranking of ISU every week since he took over a preseason top 10 program.

What are the odds that we fight our way in to the top 25 this year? It would have to be pretty dang steep odds for me to lay any money on us to do that.

By my quick count, if you throw out Prohm's first year where he was handed a stacked roster (by ISU standards), we've been in the top 25 a total of 13 weeks across 4+ years. That's less than 15% of the time. If we don't sniff it this year then that will be 2 full seasons in a row and 3 of the last 4 never being ranked.

That's hideous.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny

Prohm still coached the guys that year though. He played a part in getting them to where they went that year.

To me it’s just like the argument that if breece rattled off 140 yards on 20 carries but one of them was an 80 yard run (where maybe the defense guessed wrong on a blitz and he went untouched). People make the argument that if you take away that 80 yard run, his game isn’t that great. My point is though that it’s all a part of the game. Breece was toting the rock all of those 140 yards. The same can be said for Prohm and coaching. Once he stepped foot on campus, he was the man and those wins and losses became a part of his record.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Prohm still coached the guys that year though. He played a part in getting them to where they went that year.

To me it’s just like the argument that if breece rattled off 140 yards on 20 carries but one of them was an 80 yard run (where maybe the defense guessed wrong on a blitz and he went untouched). People make the argument that if you take away that 80 yard run, his game isn’t that great. My point is though that it’s all a part of the game. Breece was toting the rock all of those 140 yards. The same can be said for Prohm and coaching. Once he stepped foot on campus, he was the man and those wins and losses became a part of his record.

Sure let's say those first two seasons were 100% due to CSP's brilliance. Brilliant enough to do zero of his "coaching" and make those historically awesome teams worse.

Since then we've had catastrophic failures in player chemistry, behavior, and retainment. On the court play and in game adjustments have been terrible. We've seen the worst statistical losses in several categories, and some of the worst seasons in decades.

Prohm is worse than McDermott, but Pollard made a colossal blunder by giving him a huge extension for winning the big 12 tourney in an otherwise underperforming year.

People keep saying he's such a fantastic recruiter but I disagree. If your recruits leave and they don't work together to win as a team while they're here, is it really good recruiting? Are those the players we want at ISU? If most of your recruits one year don't even make it to campus, are you really a good recruiter? If your transfers mostly are players that wouldn't start at any other big 12 school, are you really a good recruiter?

Don't get me wrong, I disagree with Sullivan regarding the "we should recruit iowa kids" thing. His argument is literally stupid. Who cares where the kids come from as long as they come here to play and want to win FOR ISU. The problem is all the kids recently don't give a **** about ISU and just want to get to the NBA ASAP. That's garbage recruiting for a school like ISU and we're reaping what Prohm is sewing. ****.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Sure let's say those first two seasons were 100% due to CSP's brilliance. Brilliant enough to do zero of his "coaching" and make those historically awesome teams worse.

Since then we've had catastrophic failures in player chemistry, behavior, and retainment. On the court play and in game adjustments have been terrible. We've seen the worst statistical losses in several categories, and some of the worst seasons in decades.

Prohm is worse than McDermott, but Pollard made a colossal blunder by giving him a huge extension for winning the big 12 tourney in an otherwise underperforming year.

People keep saying he's such a fantastic recruiter but I disagree. If your recruits leave and they don't work together to win as a team while they're here, is it really good recruiting? Are those the players we want at ISU? If most of your recruits one year don't even make it to campus, are you really a good recruiter? If your transfers mostly are players that wouldn't start at any other big 12 school, are you really a good recruiter?

Don't get me wrong, I disagree with Sullivan regarding the "we should recruit iowa kids" thing. His argument is literally stupid. Who cares where the kids come from as long as they come here to play and want to win FOR ISU. The problem is all the kids recently don't give a **** about ISU and just want to get to the NBA ASAP. That's garbage recruiting for a school like ISU and we're reaping what Prohm is sewing. ****.

It's sowing. Reaping what you are sowing. Like reaping is harvesting the seeds you sow. You sow seeds and sew with a needle.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny

No, the wins were not 100% on his brilliance and nor were the losses 100% on him either. Like I said in the second sentence of my post; he played a part in it.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

How Fred left didn't help, but Steve had a lot to do with that third year. However I don't even know why we are again rehashing this. Outside of the jihad wing of fire Steve Prohm, most have agreed the third season was Steve's mulligan. Every coach gets at least one. Well, unless your name is Greg and the CF founders think you are just a really swell guy. That being said, there is no need to discount anything good that has happened under Steve because enough bad has happened you don't need to discount the good. Unless of course your objective is to never be objective. Then, as long as Steve is here you will be part of the miserable masses that say every win is an accident, and every loss is historic....regardless of record.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins

I have historically been a pretty staunch Prohm defender, but even I can't defend his tenure now.

However, I really don't like the quoted sentence, particularly the bolded part. I think that before that season most fans would have been happy with an NCAA six seed and a Big 12 tournament win, even with a first round NCAA loss. The "underperforming" was a result of changing expectations after the team was playing really well.

You can't discredit that team by saying they underperformed without crediting them for first raising the expectations.

Edit:
It looks like that season's results were pretty in line with what most people expected, or maybe a little bit better. Those first predictions were expecting a healthy Solo, Lard not having his issues, and Lindell not getting injured, but also definitely underrated Tyrese, and probably Shayok and THT to a lesser extent. The context is important. I don't know if Pollard should have extended Prohm after that year, but I'll defend the decision for not being obviously bad in the moment, even if it looks bad in hindsight.

Last edited:
Reactions: cycloneshort

isu83

May 5, 2010
Prohm is not the best high school recruiter we’ve had. Fred was better. He was here a shorter time and had Ejim, Niang, Matt, Naz, Monte.
Did Fred recruit Ejim? Lol! Yes Fred was a good recruiter. So is Prohm.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Did Fred recruit Ejim? Lol! Yes Fred was a good recruiter. So is Prohm.
Recruiting is a lot more than talent identification and getting an elite player every couple years. Being a good recruiter more importantly, means building a talented roster.

That means recruiting quality posts as well as quality guards. It means have shot blockers, rebounders, defenders and shooters.

It means having some strong leaders and some guys who can be complimentary personalities. It means having some different personaliities- steady Eddie's and some guys who play with an edge.

To be an upper level team, a coach needs a roster than goes 7-8 players deep and guys skill sets and personalities compliment each other.

That's why there are so few great coaches who win consistently over a 20 year period. Being a great recruiter is much more than individual players, it about the roster composition each year.

IMO that is where Coach Hoiberg excelled at ISU.