Prolonged illness/injury

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I need to vent a little frustration and CF is as good a place as any. I've been essentially laid up for over a month now. Off work, not able to do much, can't help around the house or enough with the kids. Work on the house, maintenance, etc is piling up as well. I'm at a loss with what to do with myself about half the time. Stress, boredom, remaining illness are adding up. I know there are worse things out there and I'm not sure there are any answers but as I said, I needed to vent a little more. Thank God for my wife as I have leaned on her a lot but another outlet was necessary. Thanks for being my interweb therapist CF.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Maybe you should try planning to do something for your wife when it is over. That could take a while.

You don't know the half of it! in addition to a crap fathers day (which sucked but not for her), this has included our birthday (which we share) and our anniversary. She has gotten a raw deal too, no doubt.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
Yeah it sounds like you will owe her pretty big, probably either a party or a vacation.

Are you kids old enough to do some of the tasks for you?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
We've been in the same boat, bud. I wish I had some good advice for you. Fortunately - you have a great wife.

The only advice I can give is set aside some time/cash for a vacation once you are well. The vaca I took Megan on in April was much needed for both of us. If nothing else, a quiet weekend at a B&B will do both of you good.

Our ailments are quite different, but earlier this year I was at the lowest of the lows (and then some) - and I'm still standing...and in great shape now. It's not the bad things that happen that define you - it's how you respond to them.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I need to vent a little frustration and CF is as good a place as any. I've been essentially laid up for over a month now. Off work, not able to do much, can't help around the house or enough with the kids. Work on the house, maintenance, etc is piling up as well. I'm at a loss with what to do with myself about half the time. Stress, boredom, remaining illness are adding up. I know there are worse things out there and I'm not sure there are any answers but as I said, I needed to vent a little more. Thank God for my wife as I have leaned on her a lot but another outlet was necessary. Thanks for being my interweb therapist CF.

Make yourself useful in other ways. A man with a computer can accomplish an awful lot. Take a close look at your personal finances and make some improvements. Here is a 31-step financial tuneup from the NYT personal finance writer that might give you some ideas.

Develop a weekly/monthly/annual to-do list of items for your house. Map out the next steps of your home improvement or landscaping projects and research the products you need to buy, costs, etc.

Just take that huge to-do list that's been adding up and figure out if there's any portion of it you can tackle right now.

Just some thoughts.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Getting back on my feet myself, after several years' illness. Know that you're not alone. But I won't comment about my recovery on FB any longer. :wink:

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

That sounds awful. I injured myself doing something stupid this weekend, and just haven't been able to move around very well, and would be nearly impossible to live with. I hope it improves for you soon.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think I would gravitate towards positive things, like uplifting reading, etc.. Your state of mind is crucial to healing and also in dealing with the frustration. Focus on what you are able to do and set small goals for yourself. Best wishes in getting healthy soon.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Breathing exercises and meditation work well for me. 30 minutes of this a day is thought to prolong your lifespan and reduce stress.

Reactions: aauummm

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I don't think my situation is nearly as severe as yours, but I sprained my ankle really bad a couple months ago. Really derailed my workout pattern and such. I'm still trying to get back from it. It's frustrating.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
It does help do be reminded, even though I know, that others have struggled through things. to answer some questions, one kid is old enough to be helpful when shes here, the extra challenge is that the other three are 5,3,2. Major handful. Also, part of my frustration is that the limitations are internal not just physical like a bad leg or something (not to discount that stuff either) so i'm constantly sick to my stomach and can't stay focused very long. These posts are about the limit of my attention on the computer. I'm going to try a new med today and am hopeful.

I'm just hoping to get a night away when its all done, a vacation is too much to ask!

Help Support Us

Become a patron