Proud Papa-Iowa State Varsity Marching Band

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Hey, someones proud of their kid joining the marching band and started a thread about it. I think this is the perfect time to **** all over the band! Some people really are just relentless a$$holes.

Last edited:

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Is there anyone else out there that thinks the football marching band and the basketball band is the most annoying part of ISU sporting events? Bring on the dumbs, but I know I'm not alone.
Is there anyone else out there that thinks the football marching band and the basketball band is the most annoying part of ISU sporting events? Bring on the dumbs, but I know I'm not alone.
I am sure there are, but I think you are in the minority. These kids bust their butts, no scholarships, the love music every bit as much as a kid loves sports. They put in the time and effort. They are a huge part of the game day experience. Matt Campbell is a fan he was at there first band meeting last night to congratulate and welcome them as a big part of Cyclone Football GameDay.

But hate all you want, I bet you are a joy to be around.

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
Very excited and Proud of my son Trevor, he was selected to be a member of the Iowa State Varsity Marching Band......Go Cyclones....

This is probably a dumb question but what does it take to make varsity band? Is there a JV squad too? Up until about 4 years ago I just assumed they let anyone in that wanted to be but was informed that’s not the case.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Bands are part of the college atmosphere and part of what makes it unique. If you don't like them, you don't like college sports.

And, from experience, band members tend to be some of the more intense members of the ISU fanbase. There are a ton of band alums on this site.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
This is probably a dumb question but what does it take to make varsity band? Is there a JV squad too? Up until about 4 years ago I just assumed they let anyone in that wanted to be but was informed that’s not the case.
Not a dump question at all. It is not easy. They had over 500 kids tryout, I think less than half made the Varsity Marching Band. They do have a JV Band that is much smaller. My son has kids he knows who did not make either band. ISU has a great Marching Band, it is hard, they do a different Show each home football game and different music. They have to memorize the music unlike many bands who have it with them at games.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

The "Varsity" part of the name dates back to the Earle Bruce years.

There was a time when they took anyone, but as the band got bigger (in the last 10-15 years?) they had to put a cap on the size and started having auditions for spots instead of just auditioning for parts.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The "Varsity" part of the name dates back to the Earle Bruce years.

There was a time when they took anyone, but as the band got bigger (in the last 10-15 years?) they had to put a cap on the size and started having auditions for spots instead of just auditioning for parts.

And apparently its gotten decently difficult to make it in.

Saw a post on reddit today of a Colts trumpet player who just got off DCI tour who didn't make it in.

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
@Jnecker4cy, some of my closest friends in life are ones I met from being in the band. Several of those friends are celebrating their kids making into the Varsity band. Couple of trumpet players, a sousaphone, a mellophone, and I think there is a clarinet player too.

So more than congrats on him making it into the band, but also welcome to the family.

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
Eastern IA -> Raleigh, NC -> Madison, WI
And apparently its gotten decently difficult to make it in.

Saw a post on reddit today of a Colts trumpet player who just got off DCI tour who didn't make it in.
Even in the last 5 years or so, they've really increased the difficulty of getting in and the quality of the band. I went back for homecoming and heard from the current band members about how they audition and how they do their memorization check-offs before the show. I wouldn't have lasted a month, let alone 4 years!

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
My season tickets a few years ago were next to some people who bought them around 10 years ago just to watch the band. They had no interest in the game the first year but by the end they decided they liked the football enough to keep the tickets.

I hope that’s not you lol

• Haha
Reactions: RezClone and drlove

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Even in the last 5 years or so, they've really increased the difficulty of getting in and the quality of the band. I went back for homecoming and heard from the current band members about how they audition and how they do their memorization check-offs before the show. I wouldn't have lasted a month, let alone 4 years!

Oh for sure. I also would have been on the cut list my freshman year.

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
Very excited and Proud of my son Trevor, he was selected to be a member of the Iowa State Varsity Marching Band......Go Cyclones....
I don’t know why but this post reminded me of when I called my Papa to tell him I was going to attend Iowa State. He was so excited and kept telling me how proud of me he was. He loved that I was member of the “VARSITY Marching Band!”
Papa flew to NYC later that year just to watch me play in the ISU marching band in yankee stadium for the pinstripe bowl. That phone call and seeing wave at me from the stands with that big smile is something I’ll never forget. Your post made me miss him even more.

Congrats Trevor on being selected! Hope you have a fantastic year!

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
@Jnecker4cy, some of my closest friends in life are ones I met from being in the band. Several of those friends are celebrating their kids making into the Varsity band. Couple of trumpet players, a sousaphone, a mellophone, and I think there is a clarinet player too.

So more than congrats on him making it into the band, but also welcome to the family.
Thanks for the kind words.....he marched all Summer with the Colts DCI group, had a blast. Loved every minute of it and was nervous about the ISU audition yesterday. So he is above the clouds right now.

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Thanks for the kind words.....he marched all Summer with the Colts DCI group, had a blast. Loved every minute of it and was nervous about the ISU audition yesterday. So he is above the clouds right now.
So, small world…one of the Coach drivers for the Colts is a marching band alum from ISU, he played trumpet. One of the trumpet players for the Colts this summer is the son of two of my close friends from my time at ISU. He’s now moved into North TX….phenomenal trumpet player.

I got updates all summer on how the Colts were doing!

Reactions: NWICY