Pulling the plug on cable

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
youtube tv by a mile
I'm genuinely curious why? I haven't looked into differences between the two. You get Disney+ and ESPN+ with Hulu Live which is a big plus for me. What is so much better about YouTube TV? Sunday Ticket is not a factor for me at all.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I'm genuinely curious why? I haven't looked into differences between the two. You get Disney+ and ESPN+ with Hulu Live which is a big plus for me. What is so much better about YouTube TV? Sunday Ticket is not a factor for me at all.

YTTV is easier to share amongst family members that don’t live with you. Sign up for 4K ($5) and get up to 3 streams away from your home. They even get their own sign in with family sharing.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I prefer Hulu because YTTV doesn’t have History or Science Channel and that’s all I watch (other than Netflix) when it’s not football or basketball seasons.

There is a current NFL Sunday Ticket deal for college students that takes it from $400+ down to $100. I’m not a student but found a workaround. You can find details on Slickdeals.net.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
My biggest reasoning is just the user interface. Now that could be because I'm so used to it but Hulu's just always felt clunky. I like how on YTTV you're able to still watch the show and also browse whats on.

Last I knew, Hulu did not have unlimited DVR like YTTV did. Maybe that has changed?

The other thing that I knew when I went with YTTV is that it allowed for 3 streams at once whereas Hulu was 2.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
It was 100 for 1G, a lot of devices and throw in some work and school stuff also.
Gotcha. I pay $100 also but not for 1G. That's nice. Only reason I ask is because you need quality internet and when it was in the cable bundle my total was $205 per month. With cutting the cord, $100 internet + YTTV alone is $172.99, and assuming most have at least another streaming service like Netflix and such.

So like many around the country have pointed out, it's getting to be just as expensive (believe it or not sometimes more) than the traditional cable bundle. The kicker, and why I don't mind, is the ability to cancel and not be tied into stupid one or two-year contracts with the cable bundle. That's worth a lot to me and many consumers. But streaming services are already starting to push it on the price increases each year.

tigercy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 17, 2020
The biggest problem with Mediacom for me was since they went 100% digital (WDM) you need to rent a cable box from them to get any signal on your non-tivo tvs. As a multi-tv house (embarrassed to say how many) that was $7 each that added up. That plus since all TVs are wall mounted (no cords) there was no place to put the cable box. That was the end for me. Went from $330 mediacom all in to Mediacom internet for 90 and YTTV for 80ish. Pretty big savings on top of convenience. A few weeks in and loving YTTV.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Gotcha. I pay $100 also but not for 1G. That's nice. Only reason I ask is because you need quality internet and when it was in the cable bundle my total was $205 per month. With cutting the cord, $100 internet + YTTV alone is $172.99, and assuming most have at least another streaming service like Netflix and such.

So like many around the country have pointed out, it's getting to be just as expensive (believe it or not sometimes more) than the traditional cable bundle. The kicker, and why I don't mind, is the ability to cancel and not be tied into stupid one or two-year contracts with the cable bundle. That's worth a lot to me and many consumers. But streaming services are already starting to push it on the price increases each year.

Agree with this. But I’m going to pay for internet whether I’m streaming or using cable.

As for cost, I think this Charter thing is the beginning of the end of ESPN’s package deals. We’ve already seen some streaming packages without ESPN and I think you’ll see more and more carriers that just say no more. ESPN has moved so much off their base channels to streaming that carriers are going to have to ask why they are being forced to pay for all the ESPN and Disney channels. I don’t see this ending up to be cheaper for sports fans, but I think it’s going to change so the customer can pick and choose what they want and when they want it more than today.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
My biggest reasoning is just the user interface. Now that could be because I'm so used to it but Hulu's just always felt clunky. I like how on YTTV you're able to still watch the show and also browse whats on.

Last I knew, Hulu did not have unlimited DVR like YTTV did. Maybe that has changed?

The other thing that I knew when I went with YTTV is that it allowed for 3 streams at once whereas Hulu was 2.
I think Hulu has unlimited DVR now, but honestly I don't DVR anything anyways. Whenever I want to watch something I just stream it. Pretty much all TV shows and even sports I want to watch non-live (mainly just ISU football and basketball) I can just stream. DVR feels a bit like an antiquated feature to me, but maybe others still use it a lot.

Can't say on the simultaneous streams. Never bumped into that myself. Maybe that will be an issue when the kids get older, but my kids aren't interested in watching things on Hulu at all. It's either watching youtube clips or streaming shows on Netflix or Disney+.

I don't know what YTTV interface but Hulus is bad. Well the channel guide is anyways.

Reactions: CoachHines3

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Hulu Live or YouTubeTV. I’ve had the latter for 6 years and never missed an ISU outside of the LHN games. $65 per month and no commitment so you could cancel after football season. Bonus for YTTV is for an extra $10 for the sports pack, you get the NFL Redzone channel.
I just switched to YouTube tv 2 months ago and much happier paying $70 than the $129 for Direct TV with no Sunday ticket options

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Does anyone have experience with cutting cable and simply viewing NextGen TV? No subscription required and it’s simply over the air broadcast TV.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Agree with this. But I’m going to pay for internet whether I’m streaming or using cable.

As for cost, I think this Charter thing is the beginning of the end of ESPN’s package deals. We’ve already seen some streaming packages without ESPN and I think you’ll see more and more carriers that just say no more. ESPN has moved so much off their base channels to streaming that carriers are going to have to ask why they are being forced to pay for all the ESPN and Disney channels. I don’t see this ending up to be cheaper for sports fans, but I think it’s going to change so the customer can pick and choose what they want and when they want it more than today.
No that's what I am saying. In the bundle the internet was always way cheaper. Having to buy internet on its own is always jacked up price wise, so my cable bundle with internet was $205 per month. I cut the cord just about a year ago and my internet + streaming subs is $189. So there's almost zero difference.

Now to your point about the bundle going away and all of that, agreed this could be a major shift coming. However, I think what everyone needs to realize (because we've seen it) is these companies are here to make money and always have the arrow going up. No matter what happens, us consumers are going to have to pay a lot of money for what we want. The prices are just going to increase like they already are, and if cable is basically going away in the traditional form, there is no competition then for all of these companies to not jack up their prices again and again.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Just got the notice that Hulu is going up 12 bucks.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Just got the notice that Hulu is going up 12 bucks.
The trio basic bundle of Disney+/ESPN+/Hulu is jumping to $15 and the Legacy bundle to $19. Not even sure which one I have now as I got separate emails from Hulu for the $15 and Disney for the $19.

Last edited:

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Does anyone have experience with cutting cable and simply viewing NextGen TV? No subscription required and it’s simply over the air broadcast TV.

Why in the world did they try to give a new broadcast standard some productized marketing name? If you have an ATSC3 antenna and live in a market that has stations that turned it on, neat. Otherwise it's no different than what content you can get OTA today.

It'll be a long time before this reaches most of the country. People still ***** about the NTSC antennas being powered off

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021

Why in the world did they try to give a new broadcast standard some productized marketing name? If you have an ATSC3 antenna and live in a market that has stations that turned it on, neat. Otherwise it's no different than what content you can get OTA today.

It'll be a long time before this reaches most of the country. People still ***** about the NTSC antennas being powered off
I've been considering dropping my cable provider for 12+ months due to cost increases.

I'm a (soon to be former) Spectrum customer for both cable and internet. I will be switching my internet provider and am 95% confident I'm going to transition away from Spectrum at the same time.

I'm considering NextGen due to similar comments on this thread regarding cost of Hulu, YTTV and other cable alternatives.

2 of my neighbors use NextGen and are satisfied. I currently use Control 4 throughout my house and am curious how NextGen could intergrate with C4.

TIA and F Iowa.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron