Question for Safety Razor Users

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
Stirling Soap Soap Company, Soap Commander, and Catie’s Bubbles are online companies you can check for shaving soaps.

Reactions: Acylum

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Best shaving cream I have ever used is from Lush. It's all natural and don't need much, but I barely feel any razor burn after using it. Cremo is pretty good as well. As stated above I switched to feather blades and really like them. Hell one pack last like 6 months to a year depending on how much you shave.

Reactions: Acylum

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I keep going back to the yellow Bic disposables. You Wouldn’t believe the number of shaves I get out of each one.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Recently I got a hold of my dad's single blade safety razor. My neighbor was telling me how he switched to that and loves it so I tried it a few times. Sure you get a close shave but I think it is because the blood it draws is a good lubricant. Went back to the cartridges and Barbasol (or Target brand). Everything else is overkill.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Recently I got a hold of my dad's single blade safety razor. My neighbor was telling me how he switched to that and loves it so I tried it a few times. Sure you get a close shave but I think it is because the blood it draws is a good lubricant. Went back to the cartridges and Barbasol (or Target brand). Everything else is overkill.
After a while you'll improve you technique or you'll just bleed out. It took me a long time to get the right blade/razor/technique down. Razors like the Mach 3 are so good and safe that they've ruined technique. I can shave 3x as fast with a Mach 3 and not even think about it. But if I do it right with the safety razor, it's like butta.

Reactions: Dirt Boy 2

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
This, except I go with the Lavender. It really does last a year and it lathers really well with just a small amount on the brush.
I need to try the lavender. I'm currently using a peppermint version but I don't see that available any longer.

Dirt Boy 2

Feb 23, 2013
This, except I go with the Lavender. It really does last a year and it lathers really well with just a small amount on the brush.
I like Taylor of Old Bond Street, but any real soap will do. Ivory works. I found some natural health stores carry some shaving soap options. I picked up a couple decent ones that were locally made. Bought some at the Cultural building at the state fair that has been good. Cheaper than the wool fat soaps like Taylor. The soap in a mug is way better than the chemicals in a can. Your razor will last longer too.

Dirt Boy 2

Feb 23, 2013
After a while you'll improve you technique or you'll just bleed out. It took me a long time to get the right blade/razor/technique down. Razors like the Mach 3 are so good and safe that they've ruined technique. I can shave 3x as fast with a Mach 3 and not even think about it. But if I do it right with the safety razor, it's like butta.
It helps if you start with a decent safety razor for a beginner. Don’t buy rando safety razor at Walmart or Amazon. You will do some damage if you don’t know what you are doing. Watch tutorials on YouTube.
A Merkur razor is great for someone starting out. I found a 1940’s Gillette at a tag sale that is awesome for a couple bucks. Throw it in the dishwasher a couple times to sterilize it. I have a Parker adjustable that takes some practice.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It helps if you start with a decent safety razor for a beginner. Don’t buy rando safety razor at Walmart or Amazon. You will do some damage if you don’t know what you are doing.
A Merkur razor is great for someone starting out. I found a 1940’s Gillette at a tag sale that is awesome for a couple bucks. Throw it in the dishwasher a couple times to sterilize it. I have a Parker adjustable that takes some practice.
Did not think of the dishwasher

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
It helps if you start with a decent safety razor for a beginner. Don’t buy rando safety razor at Walmart or Amazon. You will do some damage if you don’t know what you are doing.
Yeah, I've been doing this for awhile. I have the following.

Merkur Future-Usually a little big for my taste but I like that I can adjust it to a conservative level for my head. Never use it on my face.
Merkur HD short Handle-The most simple/small and my favorite.
Merkur 39C Slant-I nearly cut my face off every time I use it. I won't use it for 6 months, gain confidence, and then proceed to cut my face off again. It does a weird twist of the blade thing
Edwin Jagger-Works fine but chrome finish is too slick

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
It helps if you start with a decent safety razor for a beginner. Don’t buy rando safety razor at Walmart or Amazon. You will do some damage if you don’t know what you are doing. Watch tutorials on YouTube.
My wife bought me a safety razor from the Art of Shaving store and it was great. I ended up dropping it and the head ended up breaking off. I have a new one from Walmart and it works but not quite as nice. I like that the blades are way cheaper and even though a safety razor takes a bit longer, the experience is quite a bit nicer if done right. I nick myself every now and then, but it is if I try to go over areas a second time against the grain without shave soap and get in a hurry.

Dirt Boy 2

Feb 23, 2013
Yeah, I've been doing this for awhile. I have the following.

Merkur Future-Usually a little big for my taste but I like that I can adjust it to a conservative level for my head. Never use it on my face.
Merkur HD short Handle-The most simple/small and my favorite.
Merkur 39C Slant-I nearly cut my face off every time I use it. I won't use it for 6 months, gain confidence, and then proceed to cut my face off again. It does a weird twist of the blade thing
Edwin Jagger-Works fine but chrome finish is too slick
I haven’t tried a slant, probably won’t unless I find one for a couple bucks. I really like the old Gillette I found, one pass gets me out the door but it’s not as close of a shave as others with two passes. I have a Merkur 38HD I bought when I started, thought I wanted the length and heft closer to a Gillette cartridge razor. Hard to beat a Merkur head. The Parker adjustable was just to try and see if the adjustable was worth the price and the Parker was cheaper than the Merkur adjustable.

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
I nick myself every now and then, but it is if I try to go over areas a second time against the grain without shave soap and get in a hurry.
For you and others - Don't be afraid to try more brands & types of blades. It seems like it's tough to go off of someone else's experience with a blade because everyone's skin & hair combo is different. They're so cheap and interchangeable, trying a bunch out is easy.

Reactions: Dirt Boy 2

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Brett Favre Microsoft tough blade or nothing. Menards had them on clearance 3 years ago......12 cartridge pack for $8. Bought 3 packs and just finished the first 12 pack. At this rate won't have to buy another razor until 2027. Nine years of shaving for $24. Boom.........winning!