Random Thoughts 16: “Somebody had to do it” edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
@wxman1 heard on the radio they are looking at cutting down the pilots to 1 per plane on cargo planes and possibly passenger planes. Also talk of pilotless planes I wouldn't be real comfortable on a pilotless passenger jet. JMO.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
@wxman1 heard on the radio they are looking at cutting down the pilots to 1 per plane on cargo planes and possibly passenger planes. Also talk of pilotless planes I wouldn't be real comfortable on a pilotless passenger jet. JMO.
IF it happens it is a LONG way off. Without going too into the weeds it is no secret that modern cockpits are highly computerized and automated but IMO you still need someone to manage/monitor it all. And what happens if something happens to them (like when a captain had a medical emergency and I think potentially died just after departure from ORD a week or so ago).

That all being said I know a guy that is working for a start-up that is working to make Cessna Grand Caravan's used by FedEx pilotless.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Even after all these years, I'm shocked how ugly the basketball threads are this year.
Beating #1 ought to buy a little bit of happy, but no.

It sure seems like CF is the place to vent. I have no idea how the BB season will turn out but after last yr and this yr I know the team won't lose from lack of effort. I was disappointed losing to UConn but they just beat us at our own game that night.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
IF it happens it is a LONG way off. Without going too into the weeds it is no secret that modern cockpits are highly computerized and automated but IMO you still need someone to manage/monitor it all. And what happens if something happens to them (like when a captain had a medical emergency and I think potentially died just after departure from ORD a week or so ago).

That all being said I know a guy that is working for a start-up that is working to make Cessna Grand Caravan's used by FedEx pilotless.

I just don't think you could get away from having two people in the cockpit at the same time, no matter how advanced the technology gets. Stuff still goes wrong, and with commercial airplanes it goes really, really wrong, really, really fast.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I just don't think you could get away from having two people in the cockpit at the same time, no matter how advanced the technology gets. Stuff still goes wrong, and with commercial airplanes it goes really, really wrong, really, really fast.

Yup. Even if it happens it is decades away. The FAA is slower to adapt than Kirk Ferentz.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Well if everything goes right I think I'm going to be a dad by the end of the day. :)
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.