Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
attachment.php

That's just lovely! I haven't had the time with little ones running around to get out at dawn or sunset, so I am jealous of these shots!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Re: Photography Fans and Photographers

Olympus does have some conversion mounts to use the OM series lenses on a couple of their digital camera models. Of course, some of the whiz-bang features of the camera are disabled since the old lenses don't have any on-board electronics...which probably isn't a big deal if one plans to do things the old-fashioned way. My wife and I don't have a good camera now, and have been looking around. The reviews on the Olympus cameras seem mixed. If I spot a good bargain on ebay I might snag one and see how it goes.

A friend told me about another site sort of eBay-ish that has really good used stuff. They rate everything for you:

www.keh.com

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
This photo has absolutely nothing to do with my ability as a photographer (because I don't have any) but is all a matter of the picture basically taking itself. But I wanted to share this shot I took of Portofino, Italy (on the northern Italian Mediterranean coast) last week as we were taking off on the ferry.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Portofino.jpg
    Portofino.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 366

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
This photo has absolutely nothing to do with my ability as a photographer (because I don't have any) but is all a matter of the picture basically taking itself. But I wanted to share this shot I took of Portofino, Italy (on the northern Italian Mediterranean coast) last week as we were taking off on the ferry.

attachment.php

So, a) - super-jealous! Did you have a blast?

B) Give yourself more credit! There's a "rule" in photography called the rule of thirds. Basically, if you put a tic tac toe grid over your photo, you want the most interesting part of the photo at one of the intersections. You really did a great job of that - and it's just beautiful!

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
So, a) - super-jealous! Did you have a blast?

B) Give yourself more credit! There's a "rule" in photography called the rule of thirds. Basically, if you put a tic tac toe grid over your photo, you want the most interesting part of the photo at one of the intersections. You really did a great job of that - and it's just beautiful!

Thank you! It was my first trip and I had a great time. There were many places we went that created lots of easy and great photos.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
attachment.php

Grabbed this in Teddy Roosevelt Park outside of Medora last year. Nothing special, but I just like the "blueness" of it, and the wide open sky that I don't get to see much of living in the city...

Attachments

• 100_0565.JPG
    100_0565.JPG
    495.8 KB · Views: 341

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
attachment.php

Grabbed this in Teddy Roosevelt Park outside of Medora last year. Nothing special, but I just like the "blueness" of it, and the wide open sky that I don't get to see much of living in the city...

The blue is just amazing in that one. It's hard to get that velvety of a tone without having to do some color editing.

Firefighter4Cy

Oct 23, 2012
Ankeny
Angie the first two butterfly shots are amazing. I really like those because they are different than standard butterfly shots. The wings are up and closed which dulls the color but really gives you a great look at the body/eyes. Great stuff! Keep it coming and you may drum up my business if you aren't careful.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Angie the first two butterfly shots are amazing. I really like those because they are different than standard butterfly shots. The wings are up and closed which dulls the color but really gives you a great look at the body/eyes. Great stuff! Keep it coming and you may drum up my business if you aren't careful.

You're awesome, FF. :) Thank you so much - I loved that I could get a look at him so close. After I got those shots, I sort of tried to blow on him to get him to open his wings, but it was a no-go!

Firefighter4Cy

Oct 23, 2012
Ankeny
I think that is what draws me to that set. His wings are closed and it's not the normal picture you see. Normally you see the wings open and full of color. Great contrast in those pictures.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I did the whole Lightroom/Photoshop for $10/month thing - I can figure out Lightroom to some degree, but Photoshop is baffling to me. And I don't have enough time to just sit down and watch YouTube videos, which I am sure would get me what I need to do.

I used "Photoshop" generically as Kleenex is to tissue paper. I actually use the free GIMP program. My old Photoshop was 16 bit and no workie on newest 32 bit computer. I don't do anything elaborate but GIMP is decent freebee for composing some and adjusting/sharpening and whatever. I am not trained on layers and masking too much.

Last edited:

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I did the whole Lightroom/Photoshop for $10/month thing - I can figure out Lightroom to some degree, but Photoshop is baffling to me. And I don't have enough time to just sit down and watch YouTube videos, which I am sure would get me what I need to do.

That is actually the next class I want to take at the Art Center. I have the same combo deal. I do a lot of rock climbing, mountain biking, and just general adventure I like to shoot. Photoshop/Lightroom are essential for organization and processing but I know that I'm using about 5% of the features.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
That is actually the next class I want to take at the Art Center. I have the same combo deal. I do a lot of rock climbing, mountain biking, and just general adventure I like to shoot. Photoshop/Lightroom are essential for organization and processing but I know that I'm using about 5% of the features.

The dude who does the classes at Reiman mentioned that he's going to do a Lightroom class sometime in the near-ish future, so I emailed them to let me know when. I'm with you - I can crop, adjust exposure to some degree, and organize, but that's about my limit.

Incytful98

Jul 18, 2010
North Liberty, IA
Machu Picchu --
Feedback welcome. Resized so loosing photo quality but you get the idea.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• MP1 small.jpg
    MP1 small.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 323
  • MP2 small.jpg
    MP2 small.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 317

mark46

Apr 22, 2011
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Couple pics from our trip to Alaska this summer.
I'm a photo hobbyist.

Attachments

• _A1A2214.jpg
    _A1A2214.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 238
  • _A1A1881.jpg
    _A1A1881.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 234
  • _A1A2193.jpg
    _A1A2193.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 233

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
These guys posed for me at Reiman a few years back.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• blfy reiman sm1.jpg
    blfy reiman sm1.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 231
  • blfy reimansm2.jpg
    blfy reimansm2.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 239

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
And just this morning, this one reading upside down on a sign overlooking the Mississippi River.

attachment.php

Attachments

• and this one reading upside down.jpg
    and this one reading upside down.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 230