Random Thread of Photography

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
This is one of my favorites from last year. Loveland pass.
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0133-2.jpg
    DSC_0133-2.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 216
Reactions: 4theCYcle and Angie

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I've participated off & on in an amateur facebook group called photo-a-day; basically there is a word or short phrase "prompt" for each day, and the photographers take a picture and post it. The different takes people get on the prompts can provide quite a variety of shots.

This was "still"
attachment.php

this was "lines"
attachment.php

this was "negative space"
attachment.php

and this was "rule of thirds"
attachment.php

Attachments

• Oct 18 - still.jpg
    Oct 18 - still.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 253
  • Sep 3 Lines.JPG
    Sep 3 Lines.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 313
  • June 24 - negative space.jpg
    June 24 - negative space.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 247
  • Sep 21 - rule of thirds.JPG
    Sep 21 - rule of thirds.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 256

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Thought I'd share a few of mine I've taken in the last year.

Hot air ballooning prior to the Oklahoma game last year. Full Album: http://imgur.com/a/yhXSP#0

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

2014 OU vs ISU. Full Album: http://imgur.com/a/tfwK4

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Northern Lights back in late June. Full album: http://imgur.com/a/Xg9yD

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

All shot with a Nikon D3100. Still learning but really got into the settings with the Northern Lights shots. Forgive me as I don't recall all the settings I used for these pictures.

Attachments

• aqxTSyU - Imgur.jpg
    aqxTSyU - Imgur.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 206
  • VniuRGU - Imgur.jpg
    VniuRGU - Imgur.jpg
    727.9 KB · Views: 195
  • moLCmaf - Imgur.jpg
    moLCmaf - Imgur.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 197
  • lsMS32E - Imgur.jpg
    lsMS32E - Imgur.jpg
    693.1 KB · Views: 193
  • x4gZG1T - Imgur.jpg
    x4gZG1T - Imgur.jpg
    764.1 KB · Views: 194
  • mMACVm3 - Imgur.jpg
    mMACVm3 - Imgur.jpg
    721 KB · Views: 193
  • bxi2iIU - Imgur.jpg
    bxi2iIU - Imgur.jpg
    699 KB · Views: 197
  • 1SWXjeD - Imgur.jpg
    1SWXjeD - Imgur.jpg
    888.1 KB · Views: 195
  • iJKE4Qd - Imgur.jpg
    iJKE4Qd - Imgur.jpg
    980.5 KB · Views: 191
  • Iowa State Cyclones - Imgur.jpg
    Iowa State Cyclones - Imgur.jpg
    769.9 KB · Views: 192
  • T66T9Fs - Imgur.jpg
    T66T9Fs - Imgur.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 190
  • nlVcbFD - Imgur.jpg
    nlVcbFD - Imgur.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 191
  • RycBTmO - Imgur.jpg
    RycBTmO - Imgur.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 191
  • qYMRcJ9 - Imgur.jpg
    qYMRcJ9 - Imgur.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 190

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Okay, not a great picture quality-wise but it the maybe from the first roll of film I ever shot. Going way back, over 50 years ago and shot with an old Target Brownie Six-20. My dad in his boat at Backbone State Park. I am probably not 10 yet and remember being told the picture wouldn't turn out because the boat was moving and bouncing. Of course I was bouncing with the boat. Scanned from a crappy old and damaged print but it still a special picture to me.

attachment.php

Attachments

• marv_n_boat_600x417 sharpened.jpg
    marv_n_boat_600x417 sharpened.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 187

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Something a little better. Northern saw-whet owl behind the old landscape architecture building on campus in 1974 with ye ole Minolta SRT-101 which was my prized possession back in the day. The wings and feet below the owl are the starling it had as it's prey. No telephoto, got close enough to take these with the 58mm.

attachment.php

My dad's office. Same vintage, 1970's.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 5x7 200 dpi 600x848.JPG
    5x7 200 dpi 600x848.JPG
    518.3 KB · Views: 188
  • dad_office 8x10bw.JPG
    dad_office 8x10bw.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 188
Last edited:

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Some of my favorites taken with my first digital camera. My wife and I purchased right before our wedding in 2000. I think it only has 3.1 MP.
This was in Cancun for our honeymoon or anniversary in 2002.
Lizard_zps2nd2nq4f.jpg

This is a pair of Rozellas found outside my office balcony in Sydney Australia back in 2003. I took a bunch here, focusing on the boats, then the birds, etc. Never found that winner.
Reflecting%20boat%20and%20Rozella%2010_zpsgrakcuxw.jpg

This is on the ferry from Sydney to Manly.
South%20Head_zpsq8tmfimm.jpg

Last edited:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I tried to quote everyone, but the post became 700 lines long, so I’ll just write to everyone here:

mark46 – wow. The seals in particular are just amazing. The white balance is just awesome in that one to really give the feeling of the weather and the atmosphere. That is so crisp! I’m so jealous – I only had a very rudimentary point-and-click when I went to Alaska, and it makes me sad that I won’t have great photos of it.

Pourcyne – I just love Reiman’s facilities, you can get so much there! The colors on that first butterfly in particular are very vibrant! You must have had some super-amazing-quick shutter speed to slow them down like that!

Cmjh10 – it’s addictive! I just got my DSLR for Mother’s Day, and my husband told me that I’d never use it. I started taking the photography classes to prove him wrong (as he pointed out, spite is a pretty big motivator for me) – and fell in love with it.

Tri4Cy – I don’t even have words. That’s just an amazing shot, it doesn’t even look real. Even just the starburst is a photo unto itself.

ImJustKCClone – oh my gosh, lady! Did you get the “still” one at dawn to achieve that temperature? I love the depth-of-field, it’s very complex.

MNCYWX – I’m ridiculously jealous. What an amazing opportunity, and you clearly made the most of it! I love the variety in the photos – you have a great shot in the air to prove that you were there (as well as the amazing shot of the stadium!), but then you had a great eye to get that vibrant shot of the balloon blowing up, and made it very artistic! The action shots of the game are amazing – your shutter speed must have been super-fast? What kind of lens did you use? The northern lights are breathtaking!

BoxsterCy – I love the feel of those photos! They absolutely capture the feel of nostalgia, and have so much personality! That owl is insanely vivid! The lighting on the permit is very, very sool, as is just the composition overall.

Stateofmind - talk about a great way to capture an experience! I think the gecko (I think that’s what it is?) is my favorite – it’s not your traditional shot of Cancun, but it very much captures the atmosphere and vibrancy of the locale. Wonderful shot selection!

I can't post my favorite photo due to privacy issues, as it's of our little girl - but it's so much fun to truly capture a memory in a way that evokes emotion. You guys each did that really well.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Hi, Angie, I have a good old Samsung WB150F. I don't think they make them anymore. In fact, this is my second one, since the first one was stolen in Belize (hence no pictures from there). If caught or killed, I have no knowledge of photography except I know what I like, and digital allows you to make all the mistakes in the world at no additional price.

Thanks very much for the generous comment, though.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Angie: "Still" is one that I'm particularly proud of...it generated a lot of reaction when I shared it.

I was lying on my back in a ditch between a gravel road and a cornfield...late afternoon, late summer. Heat haze, no air movement whatsoever, day-moon...and bugs crawling all over me!

Iowa can be so very beautiful...

BTW - all of those were taken with a little sony point & shoot...even the moth.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
BTW, one good owl deserves another. This guy (or lady?) lives at the rescue raptors exhibit at Sharon Bluff State Park near Centerville. S/he's at least 20 years old (darn me if I can remember the exact age).

attachment.php

Attachments

• tootsiepopsm.jpg
    tootsiepopsm.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 165

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Hi, Angie, I have a good old Samsung WB150F. I don't think they make them anymore. In fact, this is my second one, since the first one was stolen in Belize (hence no pictures from there). If caught or killed, I have no knowledge of photography except I know what I like, and digital allows you to make all the mistakes in the world at no additional price.

Thanks very much for the generous comment, though.

Your point-and-click did a good job of accommodating! I do love that about digital, though - you can take 15 shots of the same thing (messing around with your settings), and it's free. It's very freeing to take risks.

Angie: "Still" is one that I'm particularly proud of...it generated a lot of reaction when I shared it.

I was lying on my back in a ditch between a gravel road and a cornfield...late afternoon, late summer. Heat haze, no air movement whatsoever, day-moon...and bugs crawling all over me!

Iowa can be so very beautiful...

BTW - all of those were taken with a little sony point & shoot...even the moth.

I like all of them, but "Still" is my favorite. It sums up Iowa very well. :)

Reactions: BoxsterCy

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Your point-and-click did a good job of accommodating! I do love that about digital, though - you can take 15 shots of the same thing (messing around with your settings), and it's free. It's very freeing to take risks.

I like all of them, but "Still" is my favorite. It sums up Iowa very well. :)

Thanks! :)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron