Random Thread of Photography

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
I tried to quote everyone, but the post became 700 lines long, so I’ll just write to everyone here:

MNCYWX – I’m ridiculously jealous. What an amazing opportunity, and you clearly made the most of it! I love the variety in the photos – you have a great shot in the air to prove that you were there (as well as the amazing shot of the stadium!), but then you had a great eye to get that vibrant shot of the balloon blowing up, and made it very artistic! The action shots of the game are amazing – your shutter speed must have been super-fast? What kind of lens did you use? The northern lights are breathtaking!

Thanks!

It was a day game so the shutter speed was up there. 1/1000+ I'm sure. I don't exactly recall and at the time I didn't set up the photos to record the settings in the file.

For the game/ballooning... I had two lenses to use. A 18-55mm and 55-200mm I shot the game primarily with the long lens.

Last edited:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
some of my personal favorites over the past few years.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

These are great - the tree one, in particular, stands out to me. Just beautiful, very desolate.

Thanks!

It was a day game so the shutter speed was up there. 1/1000+ I'm sure. I don't exactly recall and at the time I didn't set up the photos to record the settings in the file.

For the game/ballooning... I had two lenses to use. A 28-55mm and 55-200mm I shot the game primarily with the long lens.

I just have my kit lens that came with my Canon, an 18-55, so I'd really like to look into a little longer lens. I just am trying to decide exactly what I want to do with it.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
These are great - the tree one, in particular, stands out to me. Just beautiful, very desolate.

I just have my kit lens that came with my Canon, an 18-55, so I'd really like to look into a little longer lens. I just am trying to decide exactly what I want to do with it.

Thanks, was taken in the smokey mountains on or "honeymoon". Came across a mother bear and her cubs. and watched them climb this tree. It was really fun.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I tried to quote everyone, but the post became 700 lines long, so I’ll just write to everyone here:

Tri4Cy – I don’t even have words. That’s just an amazing shot, it doesn’t even look real. Even just the starburst is a photo unto itself.

Thanks! I was really excited to shoot this one. I had just purchase a new ultrawide lens and was eager to get some shots like this. One of the reasons I even selected that lens was for the nice crisp starbursts and I couldn't be happier. I'll try to upload a few more later but I lost my catalog during the Windows 10 upgrade. I just need to reload my backups and should be good to go.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thanks! I was really excited to shoot this one. I had just purchase a new ultrawide lens and was eager to get some shots like this. One of the reasons I even selected that lens was for the nice crisp starbursts and I couldn't be happier. I'll try to upload a few more later but I lost my catalog during the Windows 10 upgrade. I just need to reload my backups and should be good to go.

It's really remarkable. What sort of lens is it? I'm SUCH a newbie that I don't really know what direction I want to go yet - if I want to get something with a 2.8 F-stop, if I want a longer lens for portraits and action, or if I want a wide lens for scenery.

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
It's really remarkable. What sort of lens is it? I'm SUCH a newbie that I don't really know what direction I want to go yet - if I want to get something with a 2.8 F-stop, if I want a longer lens for portraits and action, or if I want a wide lens for scenery.

Go get yourself a cheap canon 50mm. They go on sale for under $100 and are a great little lens. It let's you try portraits with minimal investment.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Go get yourself a cheap canon 50mm. They go on sale for under $100 and are a great little lens. It let's you try portraits with minimal investment.

You are awesome - thank you! I'll give that a shot - I'll check KEH.com!

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines

I LOVE shooting outdoor/nature/active type shots so the ultra wide was essential for me. I bought a Tokina 11-16 with a 2.8f. I would like something longer than 200mm for action shots though.

This one was at La Jolla cove in San Diego
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0270.jpg
    DSC_0270.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 184

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
You are awesome - thank you! I'll give that a shot - I'll check KEH.com!
I just checked Amazon and it looks like Canon recently improved the design and a new one is going to be worth the increased cost. They went to a metal mount which will give it a much more substantial feel. Even though my 50 takes nice pics, it feels like a toy. I'm thinking of selling mine to get a new one....

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Anyone staying up to shoot the Perseids tonight? Not a photo guy, so maybe that's specialized equipment, but it is supposed to be a good show. Hoping to see some onna way home from work.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I LOVE shooting outdoor/nature/active type shots so the ultra wide was essential for me. I bought a Tokina 11-16 with a 2.8f. I would like something longer than 200mm for action shots though.

attachment.php

Wow, look at the clarity on the beach. That is just amazing. And that sunrise (set?) - it just is so peaceful against those waves

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I just checked Amazon and it looks like Canon recently improved the design and a new one is going to be worth the increased cost. They went to a metal mount which will give it a much more substantial feel. Even though my 50 takes nice pics, it feels like a toy. I'm thinking of selling mine to get a new one....

that is even better news! I will do some Amazon scouting. Photography can be an expensive hobby. ;)

Anyone staying up to shoot the Perseids tonight? Not a photo guy, so maybe that's specialized equipment, but it is supposed to be a good show. Hoping to see some onna way home from work.

I have been thinking about doing this at a low shutter speed tonight, but am so far in town that it probably wouldn't produce much in the way of results. (Too much stuff to do to make it out to the country.). I bet those will be some amazing shows.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

attachment.php

i also meant to say - I know for sure I want a 2.8f lens. I just love the look of a low aperture.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
i also meant to say - I know for sure I want a 2.8f lens. I just love the look of a low aperture.

I am a fan of both extremes. I love the high AND low aperture shots. Ansel Adams would be the guy I would credit for my initial interest in photography and he shot on really high aperture lenses to produce a ridiculous depth of view and clarity at all ranges. BUT, I also love action shots where you can control the focus of the viewers eye by blurring the background and maintaining clarity where you want it.

My next toy I want to venture into (other than the 50mm prime lens other users have talked about) is drone photography/videography . I'd love to get some panning shots while rock climbing and riding the motocross courses.

I'm planning a long motorcycle (Adventure bike) tour of the western states in a few years and am looking forward to creating my own small aperture/low iso/long exposure shots.

Last edited:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I am a fan of both extremes. I love the high AND low aperture shots. Ansel Adams would be the guy I would credit for my initial interest in photography and he shot on really high aperture lenses to produce a ridiculous depth of view and clarity at all ranges. BUT, I also love action shots where you can control the focus of the viewers eye by blurring the background and maintaining clarity where you want it.

My next toy I want to venture into (other than the 50mm prime lens other users have talked about) is drone photography/videography . I'd love to get some panning shots while rock climbing and riding the motocross courses.

I'm planning a long motorcycle (Adventure bike) tour of the western states in a few years and am looking forward to creating my own small aperture/low iso/long exposure shots.

It's really amazing how Adams produced the shots he did. Obviously he had a great palate in Yosemite with which he could work, but to think that he produced the shots he did before the days of digital photography and Photoshop. It's really remarkable.

Is anyone into macro photography? I'm not sure what I think; I feel like it's interesting to me, but I want to get my feet under me with "regular" photography first.

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
Is anyone into macro photography? I'm not sure what I think; I feel like it's interesting to me, but I want to get my feet under me with "regular" photography first.

I love Macro.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2333.JPG
    IMG_2333.JPG
    1,012.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_9601.JPG
    IMG_9601.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_4943.JPG
    IMG_4943.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_5814.JPG
    IMG_5814.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 144

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
Those are awesome! What kind of lens do you use?

I just use my 55-250 with extension rings. I really like the results without spending big bucks. The extension rings get some getting used to, for instance you adjust the zoom ring in order to focus. I also use a tripod and a remote and it has to be a perfectly calm day out. Any movement will make the picture a mess.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I just use my 55-250 with extension rings. I really like the results without spending big bucks. The extension rings get some getting used to, for instance you adjust the zoom ring in order to focus. I also use a tripod and a remote and it has to be a perfectly calm day out. Any movement will make the picture a mess.

I have been looking into the extension rings - that's just where you flip your 55-250 backwards essentially, right?

Help Support Us

Become a patron