Randy Pete Retiring

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The last time I consumed content from the Register, I was in high school, at my parents house, when they were still getting a Sunday Rag...

That was coming up on 20 years ago, CF, podcasts, and Twitter are plenty of content.. The Rag is not needed for Big J anymore

Maybe not. But why would you advocate for LESS coverage? Again, that’s stupid. There are still people that read newspapers. If Iowa gets two reporters then we should have 2 reporters.

Reactions: CyNews

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
It is amazing how long Randy made it without being the victim of a cut. You just don't see that kind of longevity these days in print media. I don't really have a strong opinion of him either way, he's had some good stories over the years and then there were his moments of asking dumb questions in press conferences that you either find annoying or laughable.

The Register is just garbage these days. My wife asked my to buy one after CC broke the women's scoring record and there wasn't anything about it that day and the insert that they had at the game you either have to be a subscriber or pay to get one apparently. The print version is basically USA Today with a local twist to it now. I don't care to pay for it in either form really because I can get better content free from other outlets.

JEFF420

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 6, 2014
Michigan
I mean, if you care about a well-informed citizenry and the cause of democracy and all the individual rights, freedoms and liberties it bestows upon you, the disappearance of "the paper" and local / investigative journalism in general should be a concern and no joking matter. A free, independent and I'd say vibrant press in this time of continuing disappearance of mainstream journalism is essential to our government and avoiding a slip (or slow tumble) into autocracy or one-party rule or total lack of freedom. I worry about the constant and slow erosion / disappearance of local journalism to check local governments, state governments and those institutions and people in power:

Just look at the countries around the world that don't have freedom and have fallen into autocratic rule and misfeasance or worse, malfeasance and corruption. They often have constitutional rights on paper just like ours, but not in practice / reality. They're just words if "the people" and those in power don't follow them. That's why the appearance of a demagogue like Donald Trump who lies about many things of public importance, not the least of which was an election he lost but continues to claim fraud, was "stolen" and whip-up a gullible, angry and sizeable group of Americans enough to storm the capital after a legitimate election, and someone who calls the Secretary of State of Georgia (a Republican, Raffensburger) to "find him votes" as Trump was recorded to say, is scary. There's less journalists and well-resourced news rooms to report on public officials. EVERY PUBLIC OFFICIAL, regardless of political party.

Anyway, good luck to Randy Peterson. I hope the Register replaces him, but I keep subscribing for the purpose of local news reporting more than sports. If we lose sports coverage for ISU, it will feel unfair if Iowa continues to get coverage, but the reality is that local government reporting is much more important and as long as that continues and they don't lose further news reporters / investigative journalists, it will be alright.

you are pretending that media corpo would ever invest again in des moines paper lol. i give my clicks and money to iowa everywhere

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Just find someone that likes the university and has a passion for Iowa State athletics. Something I think Randy never truly had.

We have those people. They work for the athletic department at Iowa State. It isn't the Register's, nor its columnists', job to be a cheerleader for our programs.

Or at least, it shouldn't be. Doesn't seem to be the case on the Iowa side of the house.

RollClones14

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2018
Was visiting family out east and the Gazette still uses Rob Gray for Cyclone stories. Always weird reading better Cyclone newspaper reporting on that side of the state.

Hope Randy enjoys retirement, excited to see what some new blood can provide on the Cyclone beat. Mostly in press conferences and opportunities to ask questions.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Was visiting family out east and the Gazette still uses Rob Gray for Cyclone stories. Always weird reading better Cyclone newspaper reporting on that side of the state.

Hope Randy enjoys retirement, excited to see what some new blood can provide on the Cyclone beat. Mostly in press conferences and opportunities to ask questions.
I’d guess they don’t add anyone new.
Probably bring Tommy back to help during football season otherwise it will just be Hines.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
He wasn’t the greatest reporter. My only issue was when he blamed the court storming for his broken leg, but the video came out showing that no one even touched him.
Randy would have been a natural for covering Caitlin Clark's court storming mishaps. Would have got all the real details I'll bet.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I wish Randy the best in his retirement. He's earned it.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I mean, if you care about a well-informed citizenry and the cause of democracy and all the individual rights, freedoms and liberties it bestows upon you, the disappearance of "the paper" and local / investigative journalism in general should be a concern and no joking matter. A free, independent and I'd say vibrant press in this time of continuing disappearance of mainstream journalism is essential to our government and avoiding a slip (or slow tumble) into autocracy or one-party rule or total lack of freedom. I worry about the constant and slow erosion / disappearance of local journalism to check local governments, state governments and those institutions and people in power:

Just look at the countries around the world that don't have freedom and have fallen into autocratic rule and misfeasance or worse, malfeasance and corruption. They often have constitutional rights on paper just like ours, but not in practice / reality. They're just words if "the people" and those in power don't follow them. That's why the appearance of a demagogue like Donald Trump who lies about many things of public importance, not the least of which was an election he lost but continues to claim fraud, was "stolen" and whip-up a gullible, angry and sizeable group of Americans enough to storm the capital after a legitimate election, and someone who calls the Secretary of State of Georgia (a Republican, Raffensburger) to "find him votes" as Trump was recorded to say, is scary. There's less journalists and well-resourced news rooms to report on public officials. EVERY PUBLIC OFFICIAL, regardless of political party.

Anyway, good luck to Randy Peterson. I hope the Register replaces him, but I keep subscribing for the purpose of local news reporting more than sports. If we lose sports coverage for ISU, it will feel unfair if Iowa continues to get coverage, but the reality is that local government reporting is much more important and as long as that continues and they don't lose further news reporters / investigative journalists, it will be alright.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Local journalism at any level has its work cut out as it is fading into irrelevancy in a lot of places. I don't need his replacement to be a homer or sunshine pumper. Just give me someone who loves college sports and can dig for good stories and questions.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I didn't like Randy but I didnt dislike him either. He's kinda a doofus at times, but there are a whole lot worse out there.

I don't know him personally, but I hope he has a long and happy retirement.

superiorcyclone

Dec 12, 2013
Don't get all the hate and piling on. Have I been frustrated at times with Randy's coverage of the Cyclones? Yes, but overall I think he's been pretty fair for the most part. Would you rather have a Chad Leistikow or David Eickholt type homer covering the Cyclones? If so, I'd say that says more about you than it does about Randy.
Randy had a clear disdain for coaches salaries, and he was afraid to criticize some coaches, while criticizing Iowa State Coaches without hesitation. I am glad to see him go, but would sure like to see the Register go as well.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Randy had a clear disdain for coaches salaries, and he was afraid to criticize some coaches, while criticizing Iowa State Coaches without hesitation. I am glad to see him go, but would sure like to see the Register go as well.
I wonder if JP will recognize him at halftime like he did Higgins.

Last edited: