real estate commission

jt tailgater

May 22, 2006
No offense to the realtors here but charging 7% of the entire home's value is freaking ridiculous. You can't tell me a realtor does much more work on a $300,000 home versus a $150,000 home...yet they charge twice the commission.

I know someone who recently used Next Generation Realty, who charges a flat rate of $4,990. While they had to do a more work, they saved a bunch of money in the end.

have given Next Generation a thought but it does not go in the Multiple Listing system, which is huge

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
No offense to the realtors here but charging 7% of the entire home's value is freaking ridiculous. You can't tell me a realtor does much more work on a $300,000 home versus a $150,000 home...yet they charge twice the commission.

I know someone who recently used Next Generation Realty, who charges a flat rate of $4,990. While they had to do a more work, they saved a bunch of money in the end.

Couple that money with the money that Geico can save you and you'll be golden...:yes:

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston

You're speakin the truth.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Find a discount broker who will get you on MLS. My current agent in STL charges $500 upfront and 0.5% after that.

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive
What percentage of money goes to the real estate agent on say a 7% listing and what does the real estate company keep? Just curious.

Also my girlfriend just sold her home by herself with no advertising other than 2 signs in her yard. It took about 5-6 weeks.

That kind of depends. If there is a different selling agent and buying agent the two brokerages split the commission. So 3.5% to each side of the transaction. The agents cut of that depends on what kind of deal they have with their broker. Some get 40% of the split and some get all the way up to 60%. It really varies by brokerage.

CYCLONE STATE

Dec 8, 2007
Clive
That kind of depends. If there is a different selling agent and buying agent the two brokerages split the commission. So 3.5% to each side of the transaction. The agents cut of that depends on what kind of deal they have with their broker. Some get 40% of the split and some get all the way up to 60%. It really varies by brokerage.

So the agents you see in the paper with $20mil in sales for a year are doing alright it sounds like.

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive

Most of the time it is 6% (not that that makes it a lot better:wink:). IMO most of the people that don't think it is a good value to pay a Realtor 6% haven't had a good experience with a Realtor. There is definitely a lot of people out there that just stick a sign in the yard, hold a few open houses and hope it sells. A good Realtor will earn the commission that they charge and you won't ever want to buy or sell a house without them. Those agents are part of the minority which is unfortunate for the public.

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive
So the agents you see in the paper with $20mil in sales for a year are doing alright it sounds like.

Yeah, real estate is a very lucrative career if you are good. Those agents that you see in the paper are the good ones that add value to the transaction and they don't ever have a problem charging 6% or even 7% because there clients won't buy or sell a home without them.

Chad

Sep 10, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Cedar Rapids, Des Moines, Waterloo, Cedar Falls And Iowa City For Sale By Owner, Cedar Rapids Des Moines & Iowa City FSBO; IAHomesForSale.com

Couple people in my office used this and sold there house right away. It is a great deal if you can get it sold using this. I heard if you are in the DM area they are doing free listings as they are expanding from eastern Iowa to central Iowa.

Still free for the Des Moines area - Here's my place if you or someone you know is looking - Ankeny - Cedar Rapids, Des Moines, Waterloo, Cedar Falls And Iowa City For Sale By Owner, Cedar Rapids Des Moines & Iowa City FSBO; IAHomesForSale.com

isunorth

Mar 3, 2009
Minneapolis
I'm a licensed Realtor in Minneapolis. There's a lot of ways to negotiate with me on my fee. Here's a couple ideas:

1.) I'll lower my fee drastically if you're going to use me to buy your next property...especially if it's bigger.
2.) I'll let my borrowers pay according to the level of service they require. If you want me spending money on marketing and holding open houses every weekend, I'm getting 7% or it's not worth my time. If you just want me to put it on MLS and let you handle the rest, I'll take significantly less.
3.) I'll let you pay a retainer to start and will charge a smaller commission if it closes (this reduces my risk of spending thousands on marketing and never collecting commission...I'll gamble on my time, but less likely to do so with my money).

Discount brokerages are what you would expect. You get what you pay for. Of course I'm biased, but using a Realtor now is a good idea. The market is complex and there is a lot of misinformation going around making all parties vulnerable to manipulation. In the grand scheme of things, I think it's worth it because good Realtors will more than make up for their commission at the end of the day.

Whatever you do, don't squeeze the buyer's realtor on their cut of the commission. If I'm representing a buyer, I've got my pick of houses to choose from and I'm not showing homes with discounted commission because...well...I don't have to. Most Realtors won't come out and say this, but trust me...we all think that way.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
I worked out a deal with my agent a couple years back....if I used them to sell my old house & buy my new house, they returned 2% of the commission. (so the made 1% on the sale & 3% on the purchase of the new home).Also, make sure your agent follows up with the agents of everyone who visits your house to get their feedback....their input could help you make changes that help sell it quicker. Your agent is making good money off of you.....make them earn it!

Chad

Sep 10, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Good information in this thread. I am having a really hard time getting traffic to my FSBO, and I think a big part of that is probably because Realtors aren't willing to bring buyers - not knowing if they will get commission or not. Just reduced the price another $5,000 and listed with a Realtor - and this thread was helpful in understanding commission.

Help Support Us

Become a patron