Realignment impact on wrestling

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
All the realignment talk got me thinking about how our favorite sport is going to be affected.

I guess it really doesn't matter if we stay in a new B12 or some version thereof since most of the conference are not 'real' B12 members for wrestling anyway. Heck OU will still need someplace to compete. Would we allow them to stay for wrestling?

Obviously the biggest effect would be if we were able to join the B1G. What do you think? Would that be an overall positive or negative for ISU?

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
If we join the B1G, that would be a major positive for Iowa State wrestling. Instant recruiting impact with selling you will get to compete in the best wrestling conference in the country, and can sell you will have meets in Ohio/Pennsylvania for those recruits. Competition would increase dramatically, but it'd be a lot of fun

I am concerned about what the talk of "splitting from the NCAA" would do for wrestling and other Olympic sports though. Not sure how they could still have an NCAA tournament if the big schools are not in the NCAA..

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
The Big 12 got WAY too big.

Take ISU, UNI, Mizzou, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Wyoming, SDSU and NDSU and call it good.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
This is an interesting discussion for options should the Big 12 implode. Here are some options and questions that I've considered.

Join the Big 10 Option: I'm under the impression that the Big 10 is the only conference in the nation that requires Wrestling. I tried to find this on Mr. Google but could not confirm it. Can someone confirm this? Do they also require all teams have Baseball, other sports? Obviously they must not have those requirements with the sports programs that Iowa cut (or tried to cut). Didn't Rutgers cut a bunch of programs?

As for wrestling, I personally don't think the recruiting pitch "We're in the Big 10" will be that much better just because we've always landed quality kids from around the world. Maybe a slight improvement at best. The biggest benefit might be cutting down on Travel costs and having more competition closer too us.

Stay in the Big 12 (if it survives) Option: I hope this happens just because I don't want to see any of the Big 12 be stuck without a place to land. I do feel much better than the last go-around (when NE, MO and ATM left) because of CMC and our FB program. I kind of wish we could find a way to get rid of Texas & OU without hurting our bottom line, and keep the rest of the conference in tact.

I was listening to sports radio talk about how the new NIL rules have blown everything up and they think the SEC will essentially start paying all of their players min wage or more. Where will this money come from? More program cuts? I will be curious to see the long-term effects on Wrestling and other non-revenue sports as a whole. Most of the top wrestling schools winning the facility and coaches "arms race" also have strong Football. How many top contenders do not have a strong FB program? Cornell? Others? I've also mentioned in another thread that Wrestling has been good at fundraising for it's own sport. It's also one of the few sports that is profitable from a NCAA Championship Tourney standpoint. Hopefully our program can stay strong and JP & Crew will continue to support it.

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
This is an interesting discussion for options should the Big 12 implode. Here are some options and questions that I've considered.

Join the Big 10 Option: I'm under the impression that the Big 10 is the only conference in the nation that requires Wrestling. I tried to find this on Mr. Google but could not confirm it. Can someone confirm this? Do they also require all teams have Baseball, other sports? Obviously they must not have those requirements with the sports programs that Iowa cut (or tried to cut). Didn't Rutgers cut a bunch of programs?

As for wrestling, I personally don't think the recruiting pitch "We're in the Big 10" will be that much better just because we've always landed quality kids from around the world. Maybe a slight improvement at best. The biggest benefit might be cutting down on Travel costs and having more competition closer too us.

Stay in the Big 12 (if it survives) Option: I hope this happens just because I don't want to see any of the Big 12 be stuck without a place to land. I do feel much better than the last go-around (when NE, MO and ATM left) because of CMC and our FB program. I kind of wish we could find a way to get rid of Texas & OU without hurting our bottom line, and keep the rest of the conference in tact.

I was listening to sports radio talk about how the new NIL rules have blown everything up and they think the SEC will essentially start paying all of their players min wage or more. Where will this money come from? More program cuts? I will be curious to see the long-term effects on Wrestling and other non-revenue sports as a whole. Most of the top wrestling schools winning the facility and coaches "arms race" also have strong Football. How many top contenders do not have a strong FB program? Cornell? Others? I've also mentioned in another thread that Wrestling has been good at fundraising for it's own sport. It's also one of the few sports that is profitable from a NCAA Championship Tourney standpoint. Hopefully our program can stay strong and JP & Crew will continue to support it.

I disagree that the big 10would have only slight impact on recruiting. I think it would be a huge pull to wrestle in BY FAR the best conference possible

Reactions: stuclone and CyGold

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
I also thought the B1G required wrestling - the handbook requires the member schools to have 16 sports with 7 having to be mens sports.

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
OU will not be allowed to stay in the big XII for anything. I was surprised Mizzou was allowed in.

I have taken the Big 12 expanded wrestling membership as a way to have more competition and to help schools that want wrestling to have a viable home.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
The big 10 would be tough as nails but I would bet KD is salivating at that opportunity. Wrestle the big boys on the regular and I would guess we could keep our home and home dual with okie st in some capacity if we wanted to.

• Agree
Reactions: CyDawg23

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Agree, I just don’t think the ADs would let OU hang out any.
We just invited Missouri back in to raise the competition. Texas and OU are leaving the conference in the middle of the night, unlike Missouri (though they sort of started this crap with them lusting over the Big 10). If we say No to OU for wrestling, does the SEC put pressure on Missouri to go with OU to whatever conference OU will be competing?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
We just invited Missouri back in to raise the competition. Texas and OU are leaving the conference in the middle of the night, unlike Missouri (though they sort of started this crap with them lusting over the Big 10). If we say No to OU for wrestling, does the SEC put pressure on Missouri to go with OU to whatever conference OU will be competing?
No. I doubt OU gets in anywhere competitive at all. It’s not like they are Okie St with that clout in the grappling world.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
I’m not sure where I read it but I saw speculation that they may drop wrestling when they join the SEC - I think it was on TheMat forums .

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
I’m not sure where I read it but I saw speculation that they may drop wrestling when they join the SEC - I think it was on TheMat forums .
That would be very disappointing if they dropped the program. The history and competitiveness potential is undeniable. They've also invested in a quality coach. Mizzou didn't drop the program so I hope that OU keeps there. I also hope the Big 12 continues and they allow OU to stay in our conference. The Big 12 is better in wrestling having both Mizzou and OU imo.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I imagine it's the same story for wrestling and volleyball. Joining the Big 10 is a huge shot in the arm for recruiting and competition. The other options are probably crippling when the bottom drops out on the budgets.
If OU drops wrestling, you cannot tell me it’s because they couldn’t afford it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron