Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Saw someone mention that a source is saying this is the tip of the iceberg for Big Ten expansion and mentioned to look out for Stanford, Oregon, Kansas and TCU

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
If the Big 10 and SEC go 20+ teams we wouldn't have to worry about it. We wouldn't be competing with the mid-tier. We'd be competing at a completely different level down. Honestly would probably kill any remaining affinity I have for college sports but whatever.

I fully understand that perspective.

As a fan of ISU forever (I just turned 40), I can say without hesitation that I'd rather be competitive with peers than be a sucker that gets stuck at the bottom of the super league. We saw ISU as the sucker of the Big 12 for too long and it would be the same in a super league. I'd rather go against Kansas, K-State, Texas Tech, etc and have something to look forward to on game day. Not sure, that may be an abnormal view/preference.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Just catching up…

1 - Those that are gleefully laughing that this isn’t the Big 12 don’t realize this is just one more domino in a long chain. While I don’t see most, if any, of the Big 12 being a poaching target for any potential super leagues, we also aren’t going to be able to remain stationary and may already be a little flat footed. ACC and Pac 12 won’t die quietly without every effort.

2 - To those that think we never should have added the 4 we just did – remember that we didn’t know the future, and it was incredibly vital for any stability. Not sure the remaining 8 could have stayed together without immediate stability.

3 - Personally, and I said it with the last round when many thought it was a possibility and our goal – I have never liked the idea of us joining the Big 10 now or ever. This will only make that clearer.

We compete much better with mid-tier programs and are better off trying to fight each year in that realm than keeping pace with Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Texas, Oklahoma, etc. In order to stay relevant, we need to stay competitive with strong peers, and a/the new-look Big 12 was always the best case for that. Let the Big 10 and SEC live in their ivory tower and the rest of us can keep enjoying a competitive playing field.

4 - And to those that think Land Grant means anything in athletic affiliation… it means as much as AAU status – absolutely nothing.

I've said over and over and over that someone in these superconferences has to absorb all the losses. The Mississippi schools, Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Indiana, Illinois...college athletics is going to be an even more unpleasant endeavor for them than it already is. It's a highly-paid suicide mission.

I think it's entirely possible that we end up in this second tier and that 20 years from now after all the dust has settled and the shock wears off, we're quite content and perhaps even happy with where we've landed.

But if the B1G calls - and this is a hypothetical obviously, I think it's very unlikely - I don't see how you say no.

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
Might as well slice that 11/11 from El Paso to Fargo to have a Pac-11 and a Big 11.

Which is what it would realistic be save for maybe a combined media contract and CCG.
I agreee. Once you get above 20 (or even 18) what's the point in football? You split into 10 team divisions and you'd only see the other teams during championship week? That's essentially just 2 conferences with the same media deal

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Saw someone mention that a source is saying this is the tip of the iceberg for Big Ten expansion and mentioned to look out for Stanford, Oregon, Kansas and TCU
TCU actually makes a ton of sense when you think about it. Money forever and a foothold in Texas without the Baylor Baggage.

• Dumb
Reactions: 2speedy1

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
A splash of cold water…
ISU would absolutely accept a ticket to the B1G if asked. Culturally and geographically it makes total sense. However, the wine and cheese crowd would likely rather have any of the following:
UNC, Virginia, Oregon, Washington, Cal, Stanford, Miami (private school), Duke, Notre Dame, Colorado

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
USC and UCLA are big names, but their football teams are not what they were. They may be a lot like Nebraska in the BIG.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I fully understand that perspective.

As a fan of ISU forever (I just turned 40), I can say without hesitation that I'd rather be competitive with peers than be a sucker that gets stuck at the bottom of the super league. We saw ISU as the sucker of the Big 12 for too long and it would be the same in a super league. I'd rather go against Kansas, K-State, Texas Tech, etc and have something to look forward to on game day. Not sure, that may be an abnormal view/preference.

I might have agreed with you pre-Campbell. I think he's shown us we can compete with anybody.

Reactions: jsb

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I agreee. Once you get above 20 (or even 18) what's the point in football? You split into 10 team divisions and you'd only see the other teams during championship week? That's essentially just 2 conferences with the same media deal
Would it really be all that shocking if we found out *that* was the point?

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
First time I’ve seen that 100mil number and actually understand why. It was around 85 before these adds, that is an insane value add if it comes to fruition
That puts their combined value at 410 million. If the pac was going to be let’s say 40MM. That is a total of 480. So the other 10 teams are only worth 70 MM per year combined? Seems to be a little off.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
While the buff's are traitors, I live 20 minutes from Folsom Field, so I'm ok with us taking CU back.
The Buffs are traitors, but probably the least traitor-y of the ones that left. They fled to save their own skin when it looked like the league was completely dead. They were not leading the charge. I don't like it, but I have the least problem with them of all the former B12 schools.

Reactions: Pwnzrschreck

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
USC and UCLA are big names, but their football teams are not what they were. They may be a lot like Nebraska in the BIG.
USC is probably set to rebound under Riley, and UCLA is probably more about basketball (gives the Big Ten the top LA program from September til April).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron