Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I just see someone in the big ten office saying “hey we didn’t pursue expansion they reached out to us” it’s obv ******** but I’m sure that convo happened
Eh, feelings don’t matter in any of this. There is no betrayal when there is no trust to begin with. Nobody genuinely trusted anybody… at least unless they were a complete moron. The publicity hug they gave each other last year was nothing more than show and they all knew it – there was literally nothing binding to their pact.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I just see someone in the big ten office saying “hey we didn’t pursue expansion they reached out to us” it’s obv ******** but I’m sure that convo happened

It may be a case where USC and UCLA desire this move more, and getting this out there today puts more pressure on Oregon (and maybe washington) to get in or get left behind.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If the B1G is looking to add two more from out west it'll get real interesting... I see Oregon, Washington, and Stanford, and only two spots.

And Stanford is golden no matter what. Nobody laments Harvard’s football division.

Oregon St and Washington State are exactly where ISU, Baylor, TTech and KSU were in original major realignment when rumor was Tex/oU/A&M/OKSt splitting and KU getting ACC landing spot. Those four were worst spot then and got rescued by 10 team league sticking together twice, now Oregon St and WSU need to hope remaining 8 of Pac stay strong, merge entirely w big 12 or big 12 picks them up.

These two might be in worse shape because of geographic isolation.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Eh, feelings don’t matter in any of this. There is no betrayal when there is no trust to begin with. Nobody genuinely trusted anybody… at least unless they were a complete moron. The publicity hug they gave each other last year was nothing more than show and they all knew it – there was literally nothing binding to their pact.
Well, Bobby trusted the SEC and OuT.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I mean that too, but there are some coming at it from a perspective of 'they betrayed us', when they were just playing for their lives not wanting to be put in the same situation that we would have been if doomsday had happened back then.

Right. 95% of us would betray this conference to land in a viable one.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
If the B1G is looking to add two more from out west it'll get real interesting... I see Oregon, Washington, and Stanford, and only two spots.

Not really sure why you think 18 is a hard cap. It’s a brave new world out here. They could take them all plus Cal.

Reactions: State2015

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
It will either be unequal or the Purdues and Mississippi States will get booted out. The way it’s all about money makes those the only two realistic endgames.
Again I strongly disagree and the only sports conference that has done it is the old big 12 and that ended poorly

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It will either be unequal or the Purdues and Mississippi States will get booted out. The way it’s all about money makes those the only two realistic endgames.
Kicking out teams is difficult, contractually.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Again I strongly disagree and the only sports conference that has done it is the old big 12 and that ended poorly

There is no reason for anyone to think that a program that can pursue more $$$ will not choose to do so. Ignoring that on today of all days is the peak of ignorance IMO. But we will see.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
No way Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Florida, and the like will want to put up with the other schools in the conference and get paid the same
They always have, there have never been rumblings about it either. Big12 is The onlygroup that ever had that happened. I know you lived through it so it’s in the forefront of your mind but it is extremely unlikely.

Help Support Us

Become a patron