Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

Jeffrey Scott

Sep 28, 2017
ACC implosion coming, Yormark is/will be ready a bigger big 12 is a better and healthier conference. Cannot allow ACC to out dual us. When I saw Yormark wanted and got that look in clause for CFP when it comes to expansion/money I knew he’s on it with ACC schools, 3rd party of course.
In Yormark, I believe. He's been very quite lately.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
This has zero effect unless athletes can be paid directly by schools which would either be a hard cap base solution (minimal impact) or Armageddon
I appreciate and value your perspective on a lot of topics here. But you've been consistently off on the realignment stuff. From USC/UCLA to B10 not going to take OU/Wash.

Paying players is coming. Your sources at Michigan/Michigan St/B10 may say it’s not, but their heads are in the sand. It’s coming. It’s inevitable. Literally ever court ruling the past 3 years is indicating that.

What happens from there is anyone’s guess (I personally believe a Super League will be created sometime in the 2030’s). What I do know is the B10/SEC (or, more specifically, the blue bloods within the conferences) are going to do what is financially lucrative for them.

I agree with you that money isn’t everything. And there is a path for the B12 (and ISU) to remain relevant. But I’d suggest you take the blinders off on where college sports are going to end up

Reactions: WhoISthis

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
No talk from the ACC fans about working or aligning with the Big 12. They are clamoring to poach the Big 12 in order to save themselves. Sounds like the Pac before. Our war time commissioner is going to be needed again.
I posted yesterday, the ACC leftovers aren’t quite in the end game yet. As ISU fans, we’ve been there twice, we know how this goes. When their implosion starts, they’ll change their tune.

The ACC will eventually lose FSU and Clemson. UNC and Notre Dame will probably follow. They might be able to remain viable if that’s all they lose, but anymore than those 4 and they’ll be scrambling for lifeboats, imo.

What’s most important for both the ACC and B12 is to remain competitive in football, so that it is financially beneficial for the P2 to keep them in the fold rather than ditching the two.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I appreciate and value your perspective on a lot of topics here. But you've been consistently off on the realignment stuff. From USC/UCLA to B10 not going to take OU/Wash.

Paying players is coming. Your sources at Michigan/Michigan St/B10 may say it’s not, but their heads are in the sand. It’s coming. It’s inevitable. Literally ever court ruling the past 3 years is indicating that.

What happens from there is anyone’s guess (I personally believe a Super League will be created sometime in the 2030’s). What I do know is the B10/SEC (or, more specifically, the blue bloods within the conferences) are going to do what is financially lucrative for them.

I agree with you that money isn’t everything. And there is a path for the B12 (and ISU) to remain relevant. But I’d suggest you take the blinders off on where college sports are going to end up
Agree totally wrong about the LA schools, wasn’t expecting them to reach out to the big ten just knew the big ten wasn’t reaching out to them. The Washington Oregon situation is different because they came for peanuts once a conference was collapsing.

Paying players is most likely coming but it’s most likely going to be in the form of revenue sharing to avoid the employee status. That’s going to see equally distributed pay for athletes not directly paying players different values. Now if that somehow results in the big ten or SEC paying out substantially more then the Big12 then it might be a problem but we will need to see how those numbers play out.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Really got torn apart by the sharks. And they’re not a small fish exactly.
Oh I got ya, but I mean it’s bama football. That’s like saying ND got torn apart by LSU. It’s just job advancement that happens no matter where you are. I mean it’s not a HC but OSU just lost one of their best recruiters/RB coach to Michigan. It happens.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Agree totally wrong about the LA schools, wasn’t expecting them to reach out to the big ten just knew the big ten wasn’t reaching out to them. The Washington Oregon situation is different because they came for peanuts once a conference was collapsing.

Paying players is most likely coming but it’s most likely going to be in the form of revenue sharing to avoid the employee status. That’s going to see equally distributed pay for athletes not directly paying players different values. Now if that somehow results in the big ten or SEC paying out substantially more then the Big12 then it might be a problem but we will need to see how those numbers play out.
You know I respect what you write, but I don't see the 'peanuts' analogy without the "we'll take you for peanuts" invitation. I see the recent contracts being so exorbitant that the media industry not only 'leveraged' the ability to squeeze WA/OR, but more realistically, 'had to' lower the invite fee. The proof is in the pudding of which we haven't quite seen it yet. The next round of media negotiation will truly tell the whole story.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
You know I respect what you write, but I don't see the 'peanuts' analogy without the "we'll take you for peanuts" invitation. I see the recent contracts being so exorbitant that the media industry not only 'leveraged' the ability to squeeze WA/OR, but more realistically, 'had to' lower the invite fee. The proof is in the pudding of which we haven't quite seen it yet. The next round of media negotiation will truly tell the whole story.
Very fair. I think it’s also the reality that the Pac12 screwed up so badly so many times that WA/OR we’re forced to accept the peanut offer because they didn’t have any other decent option. Someone is going to come out with a 30 for 30 type story of the mismanagement of the Pac12 and it’s going to be a must watch for me.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
If Clemson is able to get out of their GOR based on their arguments, is there a risk with anybody trying to get out of the Big 12 GOR? FSU's GOR arguments were different, but Clemson is basically saying the GOR is too strict legally.
Not near-term, but mid-term, Colorado could leave if Deon can build the brand. That's a long shot.

I guess ASU could too if they can build their brand but I don't think they're engaged enough in athletics.

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
Not near-term, but mid-term, Colorado could leave if Deon can build the brand. That's a long shot.

I guess ASU could too if they can build their brand but I don't think they're engaged enough in athletics.
Deon is a good story for the media, but eventually you have to start winning and I don’t think he can do that if he doesn’t have a significant talent advantage against the teams he’s playing.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

I don't see Deion sticking around Boulder more than a year or two once his sons are through the program and gone.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Deon is a good story for the media, but eventually you have to start winning and I don’t think he can do that if he doesn’t have a significant talent advantage against the teams he’s playing.

I don't see Deion sticking around Boulder more than a year or two once his sons are through the program and gone.

I'll agree with both of your assessments. I did state that it was a long shot.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021

Is ASU or Arizona the one that had the accounting error that has put the AD under water?

ASU should be god tier in the revenue sports but just never seems to put it together, at some point they are who they are I guess.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Is ASU or Arizona the one that had the accounting error that has put the AD under water?

ASU should be god tier in the revenue sports but just never seems to put it together, at some point they are who they are I guess.
I'm not sure which one had the accounting error but I think ASU suffers from the same general problem that UCLA suffers from. The weather is too nice, the student body is too good looking, and the neighborhood is too much fun.

JW3

Jul 23, 2016
I'm not sure which one had the accounting error but I think ASU suffers from the same general problem that UCLA suffers from. The weather is too nice, the student body is too good looking, and the neighborhood is too much fun.
UA has the finance problem. Last week the university president took a 10% salary haircut. ASU's issues is that it is no longer the premiere sports brand in the Valley. The region has turned into a pro-sports town.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Very fair. I think it’s also the reality that the Pac12 screwed up so badly so many times that WA/OR we’re forced to accept the peanut offer because they didn’t have any other decent option. Someone is going to come out with a 30 for 30 type story of the mismanagement of the Pac12 and it’s going to be a must watch for me.
As stated before, one of my best friends worked in the P12 office for most of his career until, as he put it, "complete morons" were hired as commissioners. He immediately foresaw the demise of the conference. What was once sound leadership, was turned over to 'sales' people. Who, in turn, convinced the member presidents of their ill-fated plan. So, as it turns out, the entire conference is to blame for suckering up to a bunch of con artists.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I guess this shouldn’t be surprising, but it looks like ESPN is funneling extra money to Texas so the Longhorns are “made whole” and don’t actually face any financial repercussions from bailing on the Big 12.

https://billfarley.substack.com/p/espn-breaks-out-the-checkbook-for
And thus, the circle is complete; strongly suggesting ESPN was behind the motivation to move. "Hey. Here's an idea Texas. You and OU move to the SEC and we'll cover your penalties. I mean, the whole contract we had with you was downright stupid, and this is our way of getting out of the Longhorn Network, and getting you more money."

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
And thus, the circle is complete; strongly suggesting ESPN was behind the motivation to move. "Hey. Here's an idea Texas. You and OU move to the SEC and we'll cover your penalties. I mean, the whole contract we had with you was downright stupid, and this is our way of getting out of the Longhorn Network, and getting you more money."
Is that what’s happening here though? Because they aren’t getting any SEC money next year so how are they covering anything but the normal SEC payment?

Legit asking because I don’t know how that works

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Is that what’s happening here though? Because they aren’t getting any SEC money next year so how are they covering anything but the normal SEC payment?

Legit asking because I don’t know how that works
The answer is going to be what happens with OU. This could conceivably be ESPN paying UT for breaking their Longhorn network contract. But, OU had no such arrangement, so if ESPN dumps money outside Owen field too, why they doin that?

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008

Just a small clarification as I have to defend the accounting profession here. This was not an "accounting error".

Help Support Us

Become a patron