Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Just a small clarification as I have to defend the accounting profession here. This was not an "accounting error".
While I agree, it's not an error, how in a single sentence would you describe the athletic department's inability to capitalize over such a long period on the sizable budget they've had? Again, I'm not disagreeing. More, that I'd love to hear an accounting professionals assessment. Thanks!

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
While I agree, it's not an error, how in a single sentence would you describe the athletic department's inability to capitalize over such a long period on the sizable budget they've had? Again, I'm not disagreeing. More, that I'd love to hear an accounting professionals assessment. Thanks!
Many people view them as the same and there could be some overlap in responsibilities, but Its a finance issue, not an accounting issue.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
It’s the Pac12 so “extreme incompetence” is most likely

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The answer is going to be what happens with OU. This could conceivably be ESPN paying UT for breaking their Longhorn network contract. But, OU had no such arrangement, so if ESPN dumps money outside Owen field too, why they doin that?
ESPN's agreement with Texas was back-end loaded. Its been a long time since I looked at the #'s, but I believe at this point (2024/25+) UT would have received $20M annually from ESPN. So not surprising ESPN was willing to pay UT to leave the Big12 as it saved them probably $125M+ in remaining LHN payments plus operating costs.

• Agree

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Is that what’s happening here though? Because they aren’t getting any SEC money next year so how are they covering anything but the normal SEC payment?

Legit asking because I don’t know how that works
Even if that’s so, it’s still covering Texas with money to help bail them out from the deal they made. If by leaving the Big 12 early they lost Big 12 money and weren’t yet entitled to SEC money - but then ESPN tells them, “don’t fret, my friends, here’s some extra cash to tide you over in these trying times“ - that’s money they should have had to go without due to their traitoring.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Even if that’s so, it’s still covering Texas with money to help bail them out from the deal they made. If by leaving the Big 12 early they lost Big 12 money and weren’t yet entitled to SEC money - but then ESPN tells them, “don’t fret, my friends, here’s some extra cash to tide you over in these trying times“ - that’s money they should have had to go without due to their traitoring.
Again not really, like others posted it’s most likely money from the longhorn network. You have to wait to see the OU deal before making claims like that

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Again not really, like others posted it’s most likely money from the longhorn network. You have to wait to see the OU deal before making claims like that
I agree I don’t know exactly how all this works … but again, if Texas knew the Longhorn Network would go away when they bailed on the Big 12 for the SEC, but ESPN paid them for it anyway … it’s still money Texas is getting over and above what they’re entitled to.

(Unless, I guess, the LHN contract was written in such a way Texas was getting their money whether the network survived a conference switch or not, which would at least be more codified than “mystery cash” helping Texas get through this difficult time that they had absolutely no hand in creating themselves)

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Do we have a Jason Scheer of the ACC yet? Just want to make sure I'm following them through it all.
We are going to have a hard time finding one. Most of Arizona fans wanted to join the Big 12. Only ACC school receptive to joining the Big 12 is Louisville. Plus, Sheer was the logical one in the Pac backyard to push back against the Pac media propagandists of Wilner, Canzano, and Altimore. Thankfully, I haven't seen an ACC equivalent to these 3 guys.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I appreciate and value your perspective on a lot of topics here. But you've been consistently off on the realignment stuff. From USC/UCLA to B10 not going to take OU/Wash.

Paying players is coming. Your sources at Michigan/Michigan St/B10 may say it’s not, but their heads are in the sand. It’s coming. It’s inevitable. Literally ever court ruling the past 3 years is indicating that.

What happens from there is anyone’s guess (I personally believe a Super League will be created sometime in the 2030’s). What I do know is the B10/SEC (or, more specifically, the blue bloods within the conferences) are going to do what is financially lucrative for them.

I agree with you that money isn’t everything. And there is a path for the B12 (and ISU) to remain relevant. But I’d suggest you take the blinders off on where college sports are going to end up
Wrong on ACC too.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
We are going to have a hard time finding one. Most of Arizona fans wanted to join the Big 12. Only ACC school receptive to joining the Big 12 is Louisville. Plus, Sheer was the logical one in the Pac backyard to push back against the Pac media propagandists of Wilner, Canzano, and Altimore. Thankfully, I haven't seen an ACC equivalent to these 3 guys.
Isn’t Jason Scheer equivalent to the new guy we have at 247 that the majority of us can’t even tell you his name?

If so, kudos to Scheer for doing an amazing job. I can’t even tell you our guys name. I miss Osen.

Sep 10, 2015
No idea how reputable this source is but it wouldn’t be surprising if Yormark is trying to build a relationship with Duke in advance of the ACC getting picked apart.

Former Salt Lake City-based radio host Tim Montemayor reported on “The Monty Show” Monday that the Big 12 is pursuing Duke.

“Well-placed sources told us that the Big 12 is being aggressive with ACC basketball membership and has their eyes solely set on Duke to pair with Gonzaga,” Montemayor said.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That just doesn’t happen in the amount you think it does by any account and has yet to happen to be used as an example. Also even if it did show me where one of these types of NIL funds is succeeded. Not working at A&M or Miami. OSU has lost to Michigan 3 times in a row and Michigan isn’t really delivering NIL.

So again unless a university can start directly paying players in different amounts than other universities it doesn’t really matter.
Michigan wrestling is buying wrestlers left and right.

• Winner
Reactions: CloneFanInKC

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I’m sure you’re right, don’t know a single thing about wrestling
Collectives (or a form of them) have been active in that sport longer than any other sport. They were just easier to disguise. In wrestling, you are allowed 9.9 scholarships. There are a few teams out there with over a million dollars invested in their rosters. Penn State leads the charge with Michigan being in second place in NIL (or whatever slush fund you want to name) spending lately. Now when high end wrestlers come up, most teams assume that Michigan will get them due to their spending. Michigan may even be in first now in spending since Cael can pull the high end freshmen due to his name and the run that Penn State has been on so he doesn't need to spend as much.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
No idea how reputable this source is but it wouldn’t be surprising if Yormark is trying to build a relationship with Duke in advance of the ACC getting picked apart.

Former Salt Lake City-based radio host Tim Montemayor reported on “The Monty Show” Monday that the Big 12 is pursuing Duke.

“Well-placed sources told us that the Big 12 is being aggressive with ACC basketball membership and has their eyes solely set on Duke to pair with Gonzaga,” Montemayor said.

You take Duke if you can get Duke. But ****, the league is already tough enough. I know everybody wants to be the best league - but we are by far - and there are also only so many wins to go around. I grew up living off ISU MBB so I'm as big of fan as there is, but I also like the prospect of having a few gimmes each year so we're not completely wasted by March.